"vegetarian Glycerin"

I noticed on my tubs of fantasia and starbuzz that they contain "vegetarian glycerin". Now, I'm a vegan (done laughing? alright, cool lol) and was curious if anyone knew if middle eastern shishas used animal fat or something crazy like that as a base for the shisha. I ask that specifically because I've only seen american brands go out of their way to specify their glycerin as being "vegetarian". I'm pretty sure there's some folks out there, veg or not, who don't like the idea of inhaling boiled pig hooves or some shit like that. Just wondering if any of you here knew anything about this, and thanks in advance wink.gif .

Most products made for middle eastern markets would have vegetable glycerin. Surely they wouldn't have pork glycerin in them since consuming pork is forbidden in islam, although some islamic scholars say that after everything it goes through to extract the glycerin, it's no longer pork. You could send them a mail if you really need to know. Most have websites with contact sections.

i could see some brands maybe using some glycerine from animals because it may have been easier to get.

all i know is that by the time it becomes glycerine its broken down so much that its all the same. just the concept that may throw you.

no problems with vegans here, i go to a huge school that has a lot of vegans and vegetarians, it just pisses me off that the dining hall has more vegan and vegi food than regular food.

-matt

QUOTE (mattathayde @ May 4 2008, 11:35 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
it just pisses me off that the dining hall has more vegan and vegi food than regular food.

-matt

regular? regular should be vegetarian, we don't have the teeth of a carnivore, the intestines of a carnivore or the instincts of a carnivore. the old addage; give a child a rabbit and an apple and see wih one he EATS! and wich one he plays with.
also any glycerin coming from animal products would in my book be called animal by-products. i'll smoke any shisha, but that doesn't change the fact that it comes from a fuzzy critter with a face

QUOTE (ilikemyusername @ May 4 2008, 06:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
it just pisses me off that the dining hall has more vegan and vegi food than regular food.

-matt

regular? regular should be vegetarian, we don't have the teeth of a carnivore, the intestines of a carnivore or the instincts of a carnivore. the old addage; give a child a rabbit and an apple and see wih one he EATS! and wich one he plays with.
also any glycerin coming from animal products would in my book be called animal by-products. i'll smoke any shisha, but that doesn't change the fact that it comes from a fuzzy critter with a face

we are omnivores, not herbivores though so you are only half right.

normal food should have meat

ya its still from a critter but its broken down so much that there shouldnt be any difference between it and veg glycerine except the fact where it started from, but in every other way its the same
-matt

+1 bro we have canines for a reason and steak knives too speaking of which i have a nice porterhouse marinating that im gonna grill up for dinner in a few

QUOTE (mattathayde @ May 4 2008, 03:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (ilikemyusername @ May 4 2008, 06:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

-matt

we are omnivores, not herbivores though so you are only half right.

normal food should have meat

ya its still from a critter but its broken down so much that there shouldnt be any difference between it and veg glycerine except the fact where it started from, but in every other way its the same
-matt

QUOTE (ilikemyusername @ May 4 2008, 05:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

-matt

Grow up. Don't push your agenda here. It's obnoxious. I'm not trying to force meat down your throat and none of them are, either. So keep your herbivorous ideals to yourself, and I'll not tell you how I feel about vegans. Edited by punkonjunk

QUOTE (Jeff_T @ May 4 2008, 02:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Isn't some shisha made with honey, if so that a vegan no-no... correct?

It depends on which vegan you talk to. With honey, it may not necessarily have been made by a bee. It can be derived directly from flower nectar, bypassing the work that the bees do naturally. Plus, bees have to pollinate to create the nectar necessary for them to make the honey, which helps the plants grow. If the amount of honey is regulated by distributors, it creates a balance where the bees have the supply they're satisfied with, and a boom occurs in plant growth because the bees continuosly pollinate. However, most vegans don't care about any of this because bears and other species don't have an issue eating the honey, while you simply don't see a bear or other species getting milk from a cow udder.

BUT, none of that matters, I was simply answering a question and not trying to push this thread in the god-awful direction it's going, I would have posted a topic about being veg in general in a totally different forum if I was looking for an argument. So basically, are we not sure on the topic at hand? I see the very obvious point that AF wouldn't put pork glycerin in. I also have a hard time just accepting that "it's broken down so much that it's the same thing is vegetable glycerin", even if it's scientifically true. Thanks to everyone who tried to help out wink.gif

itami the reply of not pushing an agenda was not directed at you, at lest i dont think it was.

totally understandable that its a hard thing to stomach (or in the case lung) that it is the same even if it came from different areas. im really trying to think of another common thing that could be used to kind of show how it shouldnt bother you, or at least try to make it not.. then again if i can ever think of something it might make you not like something else

-matt

If you want a pissing contest on meat -vs- veggies the series discussion board is that way ------------->
Don't make me get my bantank out, I've had a nice day thus far.

I would guess that most tobacco uses vegetable glycarin since Shisha tends to originate in the middle east and the majority of religion's scolars feel the piggies are not kosher or halal wink.gif

JD

I truly hope the barrel of this tank isn't aimed at me, as I did everything I could to avoid it turning into something like that. I like this place and would hate to be given the bums' rush over something like this.

QUOTE (Itami @ May 5 2008, 05:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I truly hope the barrel of this tank isn't aimed at me, as I did everything I could to avoid it turning into something like that. I like this place and would hate to be given the bums' rush over something like this.

Not in the slightest... But some folks like to drag stuff off topic like a horny tractor at miss lovely trailor competition tongue.gif