(new?) Idea For Heating, A Coal Alternative

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

so just instead of putting your bowl on top of the stove, why don't you put your stove on top of the bowl... or well a hot-plate for all practicality... I imagine that a hot plate would be almost or completely the same as the stove in terms of the burner.

I wanted to make a 3d rendering of what I was talking about in some degree, but it is sorta what cannon described... basically that setup I described earlier... the coils (think like toaster coils) would be ran across a metal ring which would sit on top of your bowl with a variable power switch attached to it so that you could adjust how much heat is going to the coils. the coils would sit about 1/4" above the bowl... the major thing is matching the temp of the coils with the temp of the heat ring. Once you do that though then you could make a small box to put the variable power switch in and indicate by marking the average temp on the box so that you know for future reference.

QUOTE (lonasindi @ Jan 5 2008, 04:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The thing about using toaster coils is that you're going to have to put together your own rheostat, so it'll be very important you know the draw of the coils and the power handling of your resistors.

Instead of making your own rheostat, couldn't you just use the variable power switch from the toaster... since this would basically increase or decrease the temp. of the coils... but if someone wanted to control the temp. in a cool way I guess they could look up a digipot so that you could have like an lcd screen with output of the temp and then adjust accordingly... if you took the first route (use the pre-existing variable power switch) then you could just measure the temp using a thermometer to measure the temp of coals and then setup to coils and then adjust the variable power switch to adjust it until you get the same temp. I should be going shopping tomorrow so I can pick up a cheap toaster and test the theory.

Most hair dryers I've seen have only had a couple of heat settings.

Honestly, I don't think you should shy away from making your own rheostat.

You SHOULD, however, be aware of the fact that taking apart any electrical appliance can kill you. It's all well and good to be enthusiastic, but being careful is far, far more important. If you're not sure about what you're doing, don't do it.

You know, come to think of it, depending on the rating of it, you might be able to use a household lighting dimmer.

EDIT

did some searching, found this:

1000w dimmer

this will dim up to 1000w. Toasters can use this much power, however, so it'd be important to find as low-rated one as possible. Edited by lonasindi

so I wonder how much heat 1,000 watts would generate? I am sure you could prob either find a 1,000 watt dimmer switch at lowes or home depot... or maybe radio shack or something like that... guess it's time for some experimenting. I also found a few 600 watt dimmers... Since you seem to know more about this than me smile.gif what would be the best place to position the dimmer? between the dimmer and the wall plug? or between the circuit and the coils? Thanks much smile.gif . Edited by JoeLipinski

Seems as though a toaster is anywhere from 800-900 watts... and the generic electric hot plate is 750 watts, so it is more than enough power in terms of heat, I think the trick is finding a dimmer switch that matches the wattage of the toaster...

QUOTE (JoeLipinski @ Jan 5 2008, 10:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
so I wonder how much heat 1,000 watts would generate? I am sure you could prob either find a 1,000 watt dimmer switch at lowes or home depot... or maybe radio shack or something like that... guess it's time for some experimenting. I also found a few 600 watt dimmers... Since you seem to know more about this than me smile.gif what would be the best place to position the dimmer? between the dimmer and the wall plug? or between the circuit and the coils? Thanks much smile.gif .

1000 watts is a LOT of heat.

You want your dimmer to have a higher power handling than your load. So, 1000 watt dimmer, 800 watt toaster, or less if you can find it.

The best place to put the dimmer is between the wall and the coils. So you'll have a plug going into the dimmer and wires coming from the dimmer into the coils.

I've never taken apart a toaster so I don't know how they're wired on the inside, you might be able to get away using 1 set of coils rather than everything inside, which would be best.

QUOTE (drewwood5 @ Jan 5 2008, 11:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
i start heating my coals on a stove, then start preparing the hookah, then my coals are done

smile.gif Sorry, I think you are misunderstanding. This thread is talking about the idea of not using coals at all to heat the bowl. I do the same thing that you do currently, but we are trying to develop a method that does not use coals to heat the bowl, so that it eliminates the cost of coals and any chemicals that are used in the making of coals.

Thank you smile.gif ,
Joe