Hookahs on Airplanes

So i recently purchased a hookah and i was wondering if any of you have ever moved a hookah from place to place by airplane. I'm going home for thanksgiving and i was wondering if packing my hookah in my suitcase would cause trouble. It hasnt been used yet and i was just wondering what the regulations are.   Madenfo

Whoops...

Anyways, as long as it hasn't been used yet, I think you should be
fine, but I'm sure it would raise some flags... They would definately
wan't to take a closer look, but as long as there are no drug residue
on it, I don't think they can stop you...

What I do is just ship it to where I am going via Priority mail. It's only $10 and you skip through security with no problems.With the way the airline situation is right now, I wouldn't even think about taking one on the plane or checking it (never, never) unless you have a very solid case.Although I have been told to look less threatening at airports, as well ... so, maybe it's just me! -c

I was traveling around teh world a few years ago and i picked up a hookah from Lebanon and one from Egypt.....anyway i was traveling through teh united states and i carried them in my carryon laugage (Because we know how much care they take with the suitcases ) Anyway when i would get searched a few times they would pull it out and ask what it was and i would explain, other times they would not even ask......one women asked if it was a vase and a candlestick (Candalabra (SP?) Holder...
I am sure you will be fine.

[quote name='SMOKE~N~BUBBLZ'] 
I was traveling around teh world a few years ago and i picked up a
hookah from Lebanon and one from Egypt.....anyway i was traveling
through teh united states and i carried them in my carryon laugage
(Because we know how much care they take with the suitcases )
Anyway when i would get searched a few times they would pull it out and
ask what it was and i would explain, other times they would not even
ask......one women asked if it was a vase and a candlestick (Candalabra
(SP?) Holder...
I am sure you will be fine.[/quote]

Was this before or after 9/11? Just asking because this process could have changed since then.

Reminds me of when I was in the MFO in the Sinai. I sent 5 hookahs home by mail, and yes, they had a "no hookah" rule. Well, when I would fill out the customs sticker, I always listed it as "home decore: lamp" or "Home decore: candelabara." The last one I shipped I wrote "Musical instrument: hookaphone." Swear to it, it really happened.
MR Bubble

[quote name='MR Bubble']Reminds me of when I was in the MFO in the Sinai. I sent 5 hookahs home by mail, and yes, they had a "no hookah" rule. Well, when I would fill out the customs sticker, I always listed it as "home decore: lamp" or "Home decore: candelabara." The last one I shipped I wrote "Musical instrument: hookaphone." Swear to it, it really happened.MR Bubble[/quote] Hilarious ... absolutely hilarious.-Chris

Guest LondonShisha
From Dubai to London, I brought back a hookah, with a lot of molasses too. Didn't have any issues at all through customs - I had it carefully wrapped in my main luggage. I went to Egypt/Sanai earlier this year and had no issues carrying molasses back from there either.

WHOA what a question and i have your answer. As a matter a fact i have never
purchased a hookah in the states. I bought two in paris (BOTH of which
i carried on the plane). and one from Marrakesh which i checked the
stem and carried the silver case on the plane (which broke anyway, pure
silver lace around glass :( ) anyway, no flags raised! just carry it on
so the baggage claim guys dont f**k with you.

[quote name='LondonShisha']From Dubai to London, I brought back a hookah, with a lot of molasses too. Didn't have any issues at all through customs - I had it carefully wrapped in my main luggage. I went to Egypt/Sanai earlier this year and had no issues carrying molasses back from there either.[/quote]
Where did you visit in the Sinai?
MR Bubble

I think the easiest thing to do would be to call the airport and establish that it is okay ahead of time. There are so many people that don't know what a hookah is, and have never heard of a hookah. They may honestly mistake it for something else, even if you do have tobacco with it, nothing illegal. Once they see it in your luggage, it is going to be time consuming, as they are likely to want to check you more thoroughly for possible drugs. I would clarify it before I tried to take it with me.

Ive worked for airlines since 9/11 and right now im in air traffic control, your best bet is do like bubble and cobra said, mail it to where you are going. A few extra bucks is a nice fee for going without the opinions and suspicions of idiots.