Beware The Belgian Ql Coals

i already posted in the review thread, but i want to say it here, too because it is very important to me that as many people out there know how miserable these coals can make you. I was warned, but did not heed that warning. I now regret it. please no one make that same mistake.

Belgian coals gave me MASSIVE headaches even when i drank tons of water, ate plenty of food, took plenty of breaks between puffs, and i got headaches every time I smoked! At first, it wasn't too bad. I'd get kind of heady from three coals (one at a time). But soon, I found that I would get an 8-hour headache from two. Toward the end, i'd get a headache while smoking the first Belgian coal on the first bowl of the day! No pain medication known to man could even REDUCE my headache. nothing worked. A shower helped a little, actually. i switched to naturals and actually used some on some Nakhla while i still had a headache from the Belgian coals and my headache did not get worse at all. (by no means did the natural coals cure the headache). But since then, i have been smoking all day, every day, with more smoke, more puffs (not many breaks between puffs), not hydrating too much, not worrying about eating, but using NATURALS -- and NO headaches. not even a little bit.

so yes, i know it was the coals that gave me headahces. i bought a 100-pack box of Belgian coals and i had already used half the box before i woke up and realized that "maybe it's the coals, idiot." I had no problem when I used 3-Kings QL's. No headahce any other time except while using the Belgian coals.

It wasn't just me, too. Our neighbor doesn't like to smoke with us much anymore because she got headaches, also. other friends i know will also tell me later that they had a headache after smoking my hookah with the Belgians. Belgian coals almost drove my friends away from hookah-smoking. Now, that I use naturals, no one ever complains. Everyone noticed the difference.

if you are planning on smoking with Belgian Coals: DO NOT DO IT! BUY SOMETHING ELSE!
if you sell them in your store: STOP SELLING THEM, NOW!
if you use them at a hookah lounge: DO NOT put your customers through that
but if you have them already: USE THEM FOR INCENSE

Hookah smokers beware: BELGIAN COALS ARE TEH SUCK! Edited by Dom

here is a picture of the box.

[attachment=903:belgianc...oal_33mm.gif]

SocialSmoke.com used to sell 3-Kings QL's, but they discontinued that, and now, they sell Belgian coals in thier place because they can get them cheaper. they are selling them for the same price as the 3-Kings, though. (they told us this on the phone and told us that they could not give us the 3-Kings we orderd and that belgians were the same. yeah right.) they gave us a free 100g of SB Honeyberry. so it was no real loss at the time.

socialsmoke really takes care of their customers. even though they sell crappy quicklights. discontinuing the 3-Kings was a poor business decision on their part imo.

QUOTE (Dom @ Jan 12 2008, 04:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
here is a picture of the box.

[attachment=903:belgianc...oal_33mm.gif]

SocialSmoke.com used to sell 3-Kings QL's, but they discontinued that, and now, they sell Belgian coals in thier place because they can get them cheaper. they are selling them for the same price as the 3-Kings, though. (they told us this on the phone and told us that they could not give us the 3-Kings we orderd and that belgians were the same. yeah right.) they gave us a free 100g of SB Honeyberry. so it was no real loss at the time.

socialsmoke really takes care of their customers. even though they sell crappy quicklights. discontinuing the 3-Kings was a poor business decision on their part imo.

Now that's some straight up weird shit.

I had a couple of rolls of the 40mm of this very coal - sent to be by brother Sammildanch and purchased from shisha-world.de

And they were fine. In fact I was this close [-] to purchasing them myself....

JD

QUOTE (Johnny_D @ Jan 12 2008, 11:42 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Now that's some straight up weird shit.

I had a couple of rolls of the 40mm of this very coal - sent to be by brother Sammildanch and purchased from shisha-world.de

And they were fine. In fact I was this close [-] to purchasing them myself....

JD

yeah, that's the thing -- they seem GREAT at first. i even put them as a 9 or 8 out of 10 on the review forum (which i changed later of course). but after a few weeks of smoking it, it builds up in your body or something and gives you a headahce earlier and earlier every time you smoke. maybe something about the gun powder or something. (once i say "gun powder" to my friends, they say "wtf?! are you trying to kill me?" lol)

any one know why it may do that when other QL's like 3-Kings don't? hmmm maybe it's because they burn hotter. idk.

I think Dom is right actually.

The past few months, especially on a friday/saturday night I tend to throw a quick bowl on to get a 3rd hour
smoking.

Often nahkla and i'll use quicklights. I used these, and you know what? I did get a headache....

Never thought about the ql's.......

Looks like Dom could be on the money!

JD

My boxes looked different to those. and i really loved them. they were black with some orange thingies on the side. They were awesome. no taste, no headaches, no nothing. really nice coals. Never even a bad batch for me.
what can i say? those are my favourite QL's. I've smoked 6hours straight with those and never got a headache. Edited by everydayshisha

I believe you prolly got a bad batch or the 33mm ones are really different than the 40mm ones I am using.
PLEASE STOP MAKING SUCH A FUSS CZ YOU HAD A BAD EXPERIENCE. Some got a bad batch of exotica's that doesnt mean exoticas suck. Your post sounds really childish and immature. Thats the 1st complain i've ever heard for belgian charcoal and you made it sound tragic. like that anyone who smokes with these is going to instantly die or something. I've had really bad headache from many types of coal but it wasnt their fault, i was either sucking too hard and too often, smoking on empty stomach, or anything else. you cant blame the coals and especially this way

I know i sound like i own the company but i hate MISSINFORMING and if these coal werent good somebody else would have posted or mentioned them. I've smoked ten of rolls of these coal and not even 1 was bad.

I think i took it this bit personally LOL

QUOTE (spoolinspoon @ Jan 12 2008, 06:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I used them sometimes and haven''t had any problems with them. I always light them till there ashing all over. Maybe its just me...

"sometimes" is your key word. the more you smoke it, the worse it gets every time.

and yeah, with these, you have to wait quite a while before you begin to smoke or else you will get that horrible taste. but if you wait long enough, then the taste is pretty much unnoticable.

and, yes, i think it may just be you. nothing against you. it's just that you are lucky. every one that has used the belgians that i know of has gotten headaches from it. and likewise, those same people have had headache-free sessions with wonderful smoke and flavor with other types of coals.

the only thing else i have to day is i hope it does not ruin your taste for the hookah, like it almost did to me and my friends.

QUOTE (everydayshisha @ Jan 12 2008, 07:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I believe you prolly got a bad batch or the 33mm ones are really different than the 40mm ones I am using.
PLEASE STOP MAKING SUCH A FUSS CZ YOU HAD A BAD EXPERIENCE. Some got a bad batch of exotica's that doesnt mean exoticas suck. Your post sounds really childish and immature. Thats the 1st complain i've ever heard for belgian charcoal and you made it sound tragic. like that anyone who smokes with these is going to instantly die or something. I've had really bad headache from many types of coal but it wasnt their fault, i was either sucking too hard and too often, smoking on empty stomach, or anything else. you cant blame the coals and especially this way

I know i sound like i own the company but i hate MISSINFORMING and if these coal werent good somebody else would have posted or mentioned them. I've smoked ten of rolls of these coal and not even 1 was bad.

he was taking some inituitive and warning us. this is his first exp with the coals..

if you ordered some coals that youve never heard anythign about and they gave you headaches or exploded would you order a few more batches to make sure it wasnt a bad batch? i bet not. i bet you would stop buying the coals, and maybe warn others to not buy the coals either.

QUOTE (everydayshisha @ Jan 12 2008, 07:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

first of all, you will not last must longer on this forum if you continue to be rude and insulting. i refuse to retaliate with anger at your rude comments because THAT would be childish. i do not appreciate it. i will say no more to you about this.

it wasn't just AN experience. it was EVERY TIME i used them. and i am not exaggerating anything. it was horrible for me and my friends. and i think that unless i let my fellow smokers know how much pain these coals can put someone through, i wouldn't be as good a friend to you all as i should be.

okay, you had the larger coals, right? this means you do not use the ones that i use. so until you try the 33mm belgians for as long as i did, then you have absolutely have no business criticizing my review.

hmm, bad batch? maybe that would be the case except the hookah lounge next to my house got some long before i did (so it would most likely be from a different batch) and they had the same problem along with others. so no, it's not a bad batch.

first complaint? really? why don't you do your research before you post something like that? below is one complaint of them in the review section. Johnny D said he got headahces from them, too.

QUOTE (quickbyname @ Dec 10 2007, 12:38 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
belgian charcoal instant lites.... dont wast your time or tobacco, bin it. so you know what it looks like http://www.belgiancharcoal.com

it's hard to even FIND a post for ANY type of Belgian coal. so far, there are three posts in the QL review section about the Belgian brand of coals; Two of which are negative posts. this is not enough to prove that they are bad, i know, but it is also not enough to prove that they are good. i'm trying to raise awareness and bring out more people to talk about there experiences so there CAN be more complaints/compliments about this product.

me, my friends, the people at the hookah lounge, all say that the 33mm belgian coals give you headahces. so maybe you should've politely suggested to try the 40mm ones.

i have succesfully PROVEN that the 33mm Belgian QL's give headahces to several people, including those who used a batch different from mine.

i have not proven that the 40mm ones do. and i really don't feel like tyring to prove that. it seems that someone else has, or thinks he has. so to make myslef CRYSTAL clear, everyone, in thanks to everydayshisha, smoke the 40mm Belgians all you want. just don't be surprised if you get a headache.

QUOTE (Canon @ Jan 12 2008, 08:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
he was taking some inituitive and warning us. this is his first exp with the coals..

if you ordered some coals that youve never heard anythign about and they gave you headaches or exploded would you order a few more batches to make sure it wasnt a bad batch? i bet not. i bet you would stop buying the coals, and maybe warn others to not buy the coals either.

Thank you, Cannon.

I just smoked some tonight, and I did get quiet a headache.

Sucks for the people smoking it right now and I'm not there... Owned. =P

Anyway, I think pretty much every QL has been able to produce quiet a headache for me... Must get exoticassss.

QUOTE (Bryantos @ Jan 12 2008, 10:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Anyway, I think pretty much every QL has been able to produce quiet a headache for me... Must get exoticassss.

Ditto, although I don't think I've ever had one from Japanese style QLs. I'm pretty much done smoking anything but lemonwood and olivewood until I'm low enough on supplies to justify ordering some exoticas and shisha.

QUOTE (everydayshisha @ Jan 13 2008, 12:42 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Your bang out of order.

I will not sit idle and watch this kind of attack on someone. Enjoy your vacation.

Dom :- This was a good thread with good information and It's allways worthwhile posting your experience. Ignore everydayshisha. He won't pull a stunt like that again in a hurry

wow.....so just to clearify. The 33mm belgian coals are the ones that suck. I really think that any quicklite will give people headaches. I remember switching over to naturals and my body felt a bit better. I haven't try'ed the 33mm belgian coals so I can't speak much about it. Looks like i'm going to stray clear from the 33mm.

I've never felt sick while smoking hookah or after, but today I recieved a Syrian (Silver with white marble, it's a beauty) from Social Smoke, and low and behold...it came with these coals. Smoked for about 5 minutes with them and started feeling sick. I decided to stop smoking, and within a half after I ended up puking my brains out. Luckily I am awaiting an order of Three Kings that should be here within a few days. smile.gif

Thank you everyone for submitting your experiences, and for the support. Now, please, if you have tried these coals, it is important that you post on the COAL REVIEW FORUM. this thread will be forgotten soon, but the coal review forum will be viewed daily. make sure you specify 33mm vice 40mm. we need to find out if headaches only come from the 33mm or if it's 40mm, too.

Dom,
I'm very sorry for your experiences with Belgian Charcoal. This thread was quite shocking to read as it is the first complaint we have received on these charcoals like this. Most complaints we have had on Belgian Charcoal is that there is a taste if you light them and immediately start smoking with them after the sparking has stopped. We have been recommending to everyone to let the charcoal sit for a minute or two to turn white before using them and just about everyone that has used it like that have had no issues.

I know we have been using these charcoal in house almost daily, (we actually just smoked with them today) we usually use the 40mm naturals or the 33mm quick lites. We've never experienced any problems like this or heard of this before, I am not doubting you, but I will certainly do some calling around and some more testing to see if we experience the same thing. I know from personal experience I get head aches when I smoke Nakhla and when I've tried smoking Tangiers, but most others don't. I think everyone is different.

For the record, BCC and Three Kings are completely different charcoals, not manufactured at the same plant, etc. but we felt that it is a similar quality product and honestly have not had much issues with them. Edited by Social Smoke

I am a little reluctant as I was perfectly happy with the 33mm Three Kings. But the place I get them no longer has them but they carry the Belgians. Three Kings was the only quicklites that I have tried that I liked so I am very skepticle.
But it looks like I have to break down and try these. I'll do it like SS says and let them burn to white and see. So for what it's worth I will reply with my results. Since the store I buy from gets their stuff from Social Smoke I would not hesitate asking the guys at SS to try and get Three Kings back.
A coal is every bit as important as the tobacco. Once you get accustomed to a level of quality you are stuck at that expectation. For me that has been Starbuzz and Three Kings for quite some time...
Belgians have really neat horses... hopefully I will like their coals smile.gif