New Led Hookah Base

So... After playing around today with the hookah lights coming out of the purge valve (See the thread that JD made) I was sitting in my basement watching a movie (Shoot Em Up) and I got another idea. This is what it looks like. Tell me what you think. smile.gif

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_L2-SxMBkY

Don't mind the mess. I smoke in the basement now while i'm home from college for the holiday break. As for this hookah, I got it from a friend in Boston. We were at a party and his friend was going to throw it out or something. So I took it and I was running through the streets of Boston, very drunk, and the base fell off and shattered. I was too lazy and cheap to order another one online so I made this one. The base is just a vase from Walmart that I got. I then got a drain cap for a bathtub from Home Depot and cut it to work as a grommet. Smokes very well I must say. This was all for you JD (no homo). lol

I'm going to post a how-to. It was sooo much easier than i thought and can be moved to any hookah.
So what I did, quick summary, was took the 2 LED's and attached them to 2 30V button batteries with rubber bands (so that they can be taken off easily). Then I took a piece of thick paper, almost like cardboard, and cut it into a circle the size of the bottom of the base. I wrapped that in aluminum foil with the shinny side out. I then placed the two LED's on that facing up so that they shined up into the base when i placed it on tope resting on 4 small blocks of wood. The aluminum foil helped to reflect the light up into the base. This makes it easy to change batteries, turn them off, or use a different hookah. I could shrink wrap the LED's and just run them down the stem into the water, but that limits it to only one hookah and makes it more difficult. I think it looks pretty good this way.

total respect for this boy, looks awesome, get that tutorial up i wanna try this !!

Ok, so here is how I did it... 2 double A batts just held together with electrical tape...

Off one end I have one wire going to a switch. Off the other end of the switch I have one wire which splits into 2 one going to each LED. Then there is another wire off each of those going to the other side of the batteries.

All soldered together which was easy even for me who sucks at it. I just taped it all up tightly so that I can change out batteries as needed.

Feel free to ask any questions

EDIT: I did not solder onto the batteries. Just taped so that it would be secure

Edited by PhishPhood

You should go down to Radio Shack (or some such store) and pick up a battery holder... it would make that all much cleaner and easier to use. They sell little plastic casings for batteries, similar to what you'd find in say a remote control car, for less than a dollar last time I looked.

Edit:

Here's a link for a $2 one to show you what I mean: http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.js...rentPage=family Edited by jfaltous

QUOTE (jfaltous @ Jan 7 2008, 12:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You should go down to Radio Shack (or some such store) and pick up a battery holder... it would make that all much cleaner and easier to use. They sell little plastic casings for batteries, similar to what you'd find in say a remote control car, for less than a dollar last time I looked.

Edit:

Here's a link for a $2 one to show you what I mean: http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.js...rentPage=family

I just did this with what was on hand.. If it was gonna be a legit thing I would prob use that