Tangiers Packing Technique

I have been playing around with phunnel packing (all the time, really), I have found two things:

1. I never really have put the tobacco high enough to touch the foil, so I would recommend that you don't either.

2. I experimented with the foil touching the tobacco, and the charcoal gets stuck to the foil and goes out (from the juice boiling up into it)

So, to all of you that knew this all along, huzah! To the rest of you, back off, put a little less tobacco in there and tell me what you think.

I usually pack my bowls nice and full, but I've been doing it less since I've had problems with heat management not because the tobacco is burning, but because the molasses extinguishes the bottom of the coals. But at the same time, if the phunnel isn't full, then wouldn't that deter airflow due to the foil getting sucked to the middle of the bowl?

QUOTE (hookaheveryday @ Jun 12 2007, 06:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I usually pack my bowls nice and full, but I've been doing it less since I've had problems with heat management not because the tobacco is burning, but because the molasses extinguishes the bottom of the coals. But at the same time, if the phunnel isn't full, then wouldn't that deter airflow due to the foil getting sucked to the middle of the bowl?

Not with the mod blink.gif

Yeah, but does eric use a mod? haha.

I've been packing the bowls pretty full since i got the bowl, and never had a problem, but if i can use less shisha i will.

QUOTE (hookaheveryday @ Jun 12 2007, 06:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

arnt u supposed 2 poke holes in the mid so it doesnt do that?

Cymptom: You were breaking the rules...now you're following them.

Sean: Good man.

Hookah Everyday: That's what I'm saying, man. Yeah, booooyyyy! There is a happy medium...thats why the phunnel is slightly lower than the edge of the bowl.

Dayton-Man:Not with the Mod.

Calcartman: Sonthert does not use the Mod. He isn't afraid to...nor is afraid to refer to himself in the third person.

Perzenperverzin (You get the point): Two holes in the middle don't help underpacked sealage.

QUOTE (Sonthert @ Jun 13 2007, 07:21 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Cymptom: You were breaking the rules...now you're following them.

Curses.... now I'm a goody two-shoe rule following pansy. You'll pay for this dry.gif

QUOTE (Sonthert @ Jun 13 2007, 07:21 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hookah Everyday: That's what I'm saying, man. Yeah, booooyyyy! There is a happy medium...thats why the phunnel is slightly lower than the edge of the bowl.

With the small phunnel, it doesn't even really matter how much tobacco you put in -- as long as the foil is tight and there are enough holes, it shouldn't get sucked over the hole. Edited by symptom CY

I do. Water has a vapor pressure, that is, it tends to evaporate. That rate is constant for liquids at a constant atmospheric pressure. The water in the jar is creating a slight upward pressure over the water. Where does it go? Down the hose (If you get a good hose, you will see smoke coming out...from the pressure of the water evaporation). If you have a crummy hose, the pressure drop of the hose will be greater than that of the vapor pressure of water. Most of the time, the pressure will drive right through the shank (a slight pressure). With holes at the bottom of the bowl, the pressure disperses before it can demonstrate more than a thin wisp of smoke rising off the bowl. With a phunnel head, the hole is on top, right there, with nothing to stop it. Hence, the smoke rising.

Edit: Liquids are much easier to handle in terms of material handling, thats why propane and Carbon Dioxide are pressurized to the point they become liquids...they evaporate at a constant pressure while as a gas, their pressure would vary in proportion to the number of moles of gas present...hmm. Not Dalton's Law...Raoult's Law? Hmmm. Nope. Its one of those damned laws...pressure and number of moles are related inversely. Thats why there has been a big drive over the past 10-20 years to switch from gaseous nitrogen to big, heavy wheeled dewars of heavily pressurized nitrogen...to make it liquefied, too. Edited by Sonthert

I don't use the mod for Tangiers either. It will make you crosseyed ohmy.gif
I have a paperclip that I bent into a shape so it sits in the hole and keeps the foil from touching the hole and blocking flow. I tried a hole above like I seen others do but did not like the results as well.
Since Tangiers smokes at lower heat better either don't use the mod unless you have already figured out a method of managing the heat... or unless you are already crosseyed smile.gif