My Hookah Tastes Like Crap...What Am I Doing Wrong?

Ok, so I have been a fan of hookah now for about a year. I was like the rest of the retards out there when I first saw a hookah at my friends house I automatically assumed it was MJ, well once they convinced me to try it, I fell in love with it. I started going to the hookah bar at least 3 times a week...that got really expensive so I decided to invest in my own...I bought this one that is pretty neat looking, its bright green and yellow, double hosed with a wide mouth bowl. Anyways, so my friend and I have all the good brands of coals, we have both japanese and I guess their called natural finger coals, they used them at the hookah bar and have absolutely no taste and they stay lit for ever. We love mixing our shisha for different flavors...and we also like to experiment with different liquids in the base too. So, no matter what I do my hookah tastes like shit! It tastes NOTHING like the hookah at the bar...we use the same shit and it is disappointing. I use foil, shiny side down with small holes and clean hoses with clean water..what else can I do?

Clean it better and clean the hoses. After you clean the hoses let them sit for a couple of days to dry and it should fix your problem. Well first off what kind of hose do you have? Make sure it's washable first or it will really taste like shit when you smoke

By wide mouthed bowl, do you mean like a mod ceramic bowl? Its been my experiance that they have the tendency yo be tricky flavor wise...I have no idea how or why its like that, but if I was using a standard bowl, I usually end up with a better flavor than the ceramic one.

If you post more about your setup, than I'm certain somebody can find your problem ^_^

Absolutely not. I am not into the whole drug scene...Anyways, im fairly sure that my hoses are washable.. we do let them dry for a long time. And I dont think that I can clean the rest of it any better, im a clean freak about everything.

I am not a veteran but I have been smoking hookah for the past 5 years almost everyday once or twice. I have tried 100's of different hookahs and I hope this would help you know where it is going wrong:

- As mentioned before the air flow in the hose is very important. I have 6 different types of hoses, the best taste I get from the wider ones. I have yet to try any of Mya hoses.

- Bowl Packin and Size are also a big factor here and depending on type of shisha you pack it accordingly.

- Coal management is very important and de-ashing the surface of the bowl and sometimes blowing air into it helps.

- Do not switch alot between flavors. Stick to one and smoke 3 or 4 sessions without changing the type of shisha or even cleaning the hookah and you could try to keep water for two sessions (some might disagree, but I always never enjoy the first time I smoke a flavor in a hookah).

Hookah's are not usally edible, perhaps that's why it tastes like crap. 8)

You may well have a dirty shisha pipe or hose. One of the best ways to see if it's going to taste good or not, is to put water in the base, have your shisha ready but do not put the head on the top.

Now, stick your hose in and smoke the headless shisha. Ideally you should taste little or nothing, as any extra taste will corrupt the flavour of anything you smoke. If there is a bad taste coming from the headless shisha, then it's either the hose or the pipe that's dirty.

Remove the hose, and suck through the hose connector. If you still taste something bad, then your pipe is unclean, if not , then it's your hose.

If your shisha is diagnosed as clean, then it's the way you are packing it, or you are burning it too much, which then requires looking at how you are packing/doing it.

note that if you are using instant coals, make sure that there is no black on it.

Hmm...Well that headless hookah sounds like a good idea. I am just going to buy a new hookah today so whatever....Anyways, I was wondering, when packing shisha do you tend to keep it packed light and fluffy or can you pack it pretty tight, I found it harder to inhale when packed tight when I smoked my friends hookah.

It really depends on how you make your holes and everything else.

I pack it by sprinkling it in and patting it down so that it is not protruding too much from the top of the head. (minimise the contact of the foil with the Tobacco (edited) )

Once foil is on, then just poke holes all round (I use a pin, it's called a map pin, basically the kind of thing that you'd use to pin stuff on a memo board) and smoke.

If you want to make sure it's not a tight draw, put the head on without the foil and pull. If it pulls easy, then put the foil on with holes and make more holes accordingly.

Depends on the type of bowl you use, but I like mine to be a little deep, like the ones that come with mya shishas.

The hose is most likely your problem. You said you use the same shisha as the hookah bar and its good, but is your stuff stale, dried out, or did it get wet or anything else happen to it? I wouldnt think so, but its a possibility.

[quote name='King Mo']. (minimise the contact of the foil with the coal.[/quote]

Its been a long day, so I wanted to be sure I was reading this right, but my coal is in full contact with the foil. I set the coal right on the foil. Do you suspend your coal over the foil?

Yeah I was going to ask that but didn't want to sound like an asshole lol. I think he ment minimise the contact of the foil with the shisha, but still I get better smokes when it touches the foil

[quote name='Joseph'][quote name='King Mo']. (minimise the contact of the foil with the coal.[/quote]

Its been a long day, so I wanted to be sure I was reading this right, but my coal is in full contact with the foil. I set the coal right on the foil. Do you suspend your coal over the foil?[/quote]

Yea that was typed incorrectly by me. I meant the foil with the tobacco not the coal.

suspending the coal over the foil does sound like an interesting idea though 8)

Well thanks to everyone for their advice...It was the hoses so kudos for those who came up with that. I just bought a brand new hookah today and oh my godddd!!! I am soooo happy with it too. Its a 3 hose, the problem is that it doesnt have bearings so, you have to plug the hoses, but thats cool...its old skool....but the flavors of my shisha have never tasted so good....Thanks again!