Bringing Tobacco Into Canada?

I will likely be taking a road trip to Niagara falls/Canada in about three weeks, and was planning on bringing my hookah along (I mean, what's a road trip without hookah?). So I was wondering, am I correct in assuming I will probably not be able to bring the tobacco or even the hookah across the border? The way I'm planning the trip, I will only be in Canada for 1 day, probably not even over night, so I can easily leave my stuff in a hotel or a locker if needed. But obviously I would rather bring it with me.
I know there several Canadians here, is it out of the cards to bring it across?

I would like to know what the technicalities are on this as well, since I am planning a trip to canada this summer. There shouldnt really be a problem bringing it across the boarder, since tobacco is legal there, but wether they will make it a problem is the question, they will most likely assume it is meant for use with NHT.

Im guessing yall havent crossed many borders into other countries. When you go across they ask if you have anything illegal in the car, or if you have anything to declare. Say no. As long as you have never used the hookah for NHT then you should be fine.

And as far as Canadas rediculous taxes on tobacco, i think youre allowed to bring 2 cartons of cigs without having to pay anything.

QUOTE (freezerburn456 @ Feb 11 2009, 09:10 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Im guessing yall havent crossed many borders into other countries. When you go across they ask if you have anything illegal in the car, or if you have anything to declare. Say no. As long as you have never used the hookah for NHT then you should be fine.

And as far as Canadas rediculous taxes on tobacco, i think youre allowed to bring 2 cartons of cigs without having to pay anything.

Actually I have crossed numerous borders, and have been searched a couple times, even when I said we didnt have anything illegal. If they want to be dicks they can confiscate your hookah, even if they dont have any reason to other then suspicion. I am not so worried about going into canada with it, as I am worried about coming back into the states with it.

They'll always ask you if you have any tobacco products on you, etc. Just be honest and say straight forward that you have a hookah and some shisha, and they'll never give you any trouble about it. I suggest limiting the amount of tobacco you bring across to no more than 250-500g, just in case you end up with a border agent that doesn't know the difference between straight tobacco and shisha.

Worst case scenario is they either charge or confiscate the tobacco, but in about 20+ border crossings (both ways) I've never even come close to having a problem.

QUOTE (freezerburn456 @ Feb 11 2009, 05:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

you shouldnt have any problems bringing some tobacco in to canada. its basically the same as when i go to america and have a couple packs of canadian cigarettes with me and its fine.

and a correction for freezerburn456, americans travelling in to canada are each allowed ONE carton of cigarettes brought in from the usa without duties (i guess this is as a gift for a canadian citizen or for personal consumption during your travels).

CUSTOMS & DUTY FREE ALLOWANCES AND RESTRICTIONS

Non-residents entering Canada:

Tobacco*...200 cigarettes and 50 cigars and 200g of loose tobacco
Liquor*...1 bottle of wine or spirits, 24 bottles or cans of beer
*Applies only to passsengers over 18 yrs of age
Perfume....Reasonable amount
Cameras....No restrictions
Film.......Reasonable amount
Gifts......$60 Cad max per gift -excludes tobacco/liquor
Agricultural items/currency...Refer psgr to consulate

source

i suppose the shisha tobacco would qualify under the 200g of loose tobacco. since you are only going to be in canada for one day then i would suggest bringing less than that. i doubt you will even find the time to smoke 100g. best of luck with your travel to here! biggrin.gif

here is a link to the CBSA (Canadian Border Services Agency) regarding non-canadian residents travelling in to canada.
the cbsa is a division of the government that enforces all the regulations at the border for canada.

Tobacco products

You are allowed to bring in all of the following amounts of tobacco into Canada without paying duty:

* 200 cigarettes;
* 50 cigars or cigarillos;
* 200 grams (7 ounces) of manufactured tobacco; and
* 200 tobacco sticks.

You may bring in additional quantities but you will have to pay full duty and taxes on the excess amount. If you plan a side trip abroad during your visit, you must be out of Canada for at least 48 hours to be eligible to claim these entitlements again.

source

Therein lies the problem, with the "200 grams" limit on "manufactured" tobacco. If you get a border agent that doesn't know the difference between loose tobacco and shisha, then they can catch you on it. Like I said though, 250-500g you should be safe... worst case scenario, they confiscate half of it. I usually have 1 kilo and never get questioned about it, but then again I'm a Canadian citizen...