Howdy!

Dr. Tiburon

Just wanted to say thanks for such a wonderful resource on the web. I've only been smoking hookah for a few months and I love it. I've got a great little Mya with a Bohemian vase that I absolutely enjoy on a regular basis. I just got one of those nice cloisonne hoses for it too...such a relaxing experience. Look forward to more interesting discussions!

Are you a real doctor or did you just stay at a Holiday Inn last night? Curious, we were looking (we, me actually) for an educated view on the health implications of smoking hookahs. Well, anyways welcome to the fish bowl.

Thanks for the welcome, guys.  Yes, I'm a doctor, Tangiers, I'm just not that kind of doctor.  I mostly do research and some pro bono stuff.  As for the health effects of hookah...not really my area of expertise, but some colleagues of mine who do internal medicine have advised that it's no different than pipe smoking (yes, it's bad for you).  But then, so are most things in excess.  I suspect there might be differences in smoking behaviors though, as hookah is mostly a social activity whereas pipe and cigarette smoking tend not to be.  That's an interesting question, Tangiers.
Yashman, the cloisonne hoses are from Mya.  They have them on their site under "accessories".  They have a Chinese enamel around the handle that gives them a nice weight and texture when smoking.  I did research for months when deciding on what to buy, and I love my Mya.  Almost didn't want to smoke it the first time, it was so damn pretty!  Now I'm just working on mastering the art of hot coal management!