Turning A Single-hose Into Double-hose

Hi,

I just received my first hookah this morning. It's a single-hose and I want to turn it into a double-hose. My question: how many adaptors do I need to buy - 1 or 2? The idea of an adaptor is that it contains a metal/plastic ball inside that closes the airhole when the other person is pulling. So shouldn't there be 2 adaptors in principle? Sorry guys, I don't know much about physics so correct me if I'm wrong.

Thanks!

QUOTE (bfkgoner @ Jan 29 2008, 06:51 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The idea of an adaptor is that it contains a metal/plastic ball inside that closes the airhole when the other person is pulling. So shouldn't there be 2 adaptors in principle? Sorry guys, I don't know much about physics so correct me if I'm wrong.

You would only need one adapter unless you have multiple places to put them. Assuming you can unscrew the purge valve, that is where a new adapter would be attached. You can't remove the original hose port or fit it with a ball bearing. This makes for an easier pull on the original hose, but when the second hose is in use the original hose will need to be capped with a thumb (well, you can buy plastic hose caps, but they look tacky as hell IMO) so the other person can pull smoke.

If you can unscrew the purge valve, I'd take the hookah in to a local shop to see if you can find any adapters that will fit. Ordering online will be sketchy at best since there aren't any guarantees the adapter will fit when you receive it. Edited by Ralleac

QUOTE (Ralleac @ Jan 29 2008, 08:26 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The idea of an adaptor is that it contains a metal/plastic ball inside that closes the airhole when the other person is pulling. So shouldn't there be 2 adaptors in principle? Sorry guys, I don't know much about physics so correct me if I'm wrong.

You would only need one adapter unless you have multiple places to put them. Assuming you can unscrew the purge valve, that is where a new adapter would be attached. You can't remove the original hose port or fit it with a ball bearing. This makes for an easier pull on the original hose, but when the second hose is in use the original hose will need to be capped with a thumb (well, you can buy plastic hose caps, but they look tacky as hell IMO) so the other person can pull smoke.

If you can unscrew the purge valve, I'd take the hookah in to a local shop to see if you can find any adapters that will fit. Ordering online will be sketchy at best since there aren't any guarantees the adapter will fit when you receive it.

Do most 2 hose pipes have a built in valve so you don't have to plug or cover one hose when not used? I'm thinking of purchasing a 2 hose soon, seems a PITA to have to plug every time someone else takes a hit.

QUOTE (roadie @ Jan 30 2008, 10:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (Ralleac @ Jan 29 2008, 08:26 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If you can unscrew the purge valve, I'd take the hookah in to a local shop to see if you can find any adapters that will fit. Ordering online will be sketchy at best since there aren't any guarantees the adapter will fit when you receive it.

Do most 2 hose pipes have a built in valve so you don't have to plug or cover one hose when not used? I'm thinking of purchasing a 2 hose soon, seems a PITA to have to plug every time someone else takes a hit.

No, most adapters are not autosealing. If they are then they cost about 3 times as much and the seller will definetely bring your attention to it (the autosealing, not price)!

To the OP. Yes you need to buy 2 auto-sealing adapters if you DONT want to use those stupid hose plugs! But it may be difficult for you to find suitable adapters for your shisha, particuarly inorder to adapt the current hose port to be autosealing. A good person to ask would be your shisha seller.

Alternatively, if your inclined to some DIY you can modify your hose adapter/port to make them autosealing. Its actually quite simple, you just need a suitably sized ball bearing, a screw/bolt with nut and some rubber washers, and a drill. Have a look at a Mya autosealing adapter it should be simple to replicate, and the parts I list can easily be found at any decent hardware store.