Mela/afterhourz

shazam

Went to this Tandoori Grill/Late Night Hookah spot in San Francisco last night. Overall, I gave it an 8 of 10.

Service, 8/10: Was not greeted until I made contact with an employee. From then, the staff was extremely friendly and conversational. Once we placed drink and hookah orders, we saw the server about 4 times. Wish there was more interaction, but it was not bad service at all. Talked to the owner directly, who was a very nice man.

Drinks/Food, 8/10: Limited selection of drinks. No notable tea selection. Standard soft drinks accompanied by Indian Beers, Wine, as well as domestic beers. We chose to go with Coronas around the table. Drink menu could be improved, but it was a satisfactory menu. We ordered the chicken samosas. These were extremely good, and brought to us in with the pipes.

Hookah, 9/10: Was with my friend and our girlfriends, so we ordered Sex on the Beach and Mint Mojito. Both pipes hit extremely well from the first hit, no warm up time. Both pipes went strong for about an hour and 15 minutes with only one change in coals. Pipes were clean.

Ambiance, 7/10: One room with floor seating and another with chair seating. Great decorations all around. The problem that I had, was that for all this traditional decor, the music was VERY loud and it was all rap. Would have liked to see some contemporary middle eastern dance music put on. Was not anything that took away from the experience, it was just hard to hold a conversation without yelling.

I recommend this place very highly. It is right next to Hookah SF (requires a $10 cover, are you kidding?) on O'Farell between Taylor and Jones.

• 11 months later...
ya i also agree this place is very good. funny thing is i no the whole mela crew so i have been with them for a while now. the place upstair is crap having a cover charge. but mela is a good place thy are relocating at the moment will keep posted when it starts up again.