Al Kareem 30" Syrian

Rani

The package: Al Kareem Syrian from Hookah Company which came with a standard dark blue Mya bowl and black Mya hose.

Size: Advertised at 30", however looks like it's closer to 28". I didn't have a tape measure handy so I'm guessing by comparing it to my 28" Sangria and 32" KM.

General Good Looks: Dark blue and gold base fat teardrop style base, absolutely gorgeous. The stem is etched stainless steel. There are three bulbs in the stem, two of which are etched in a cross hatch ribbon pattern. The third is just above the where the stem connects to the jar and is clean stainless, no etchings. The ashtray is fluted and snaps into place. Really. No place for ash to fall between tray and stem edge. Nice connections between the bulbs in the stem - almost bamboo like. The entire pipe is incredibly beautiful and exactly as advertised on the Hookah Company website. Overall: Beyond stunning. The most beautiful pipe I currently own.

The Details:

Grommets: Good quality and tight fitting. Not a single leak anywhere.

Bowl connection: Female bowl which would make it a non-traditional Syrian, however according to my middle eastern friends, Syrian pipes are changing to female bowls because the fit is tighter, and the bowls are easier to replace. A phunnel fits perfectly.

Hose port: The Nammor fits - Yay!

Purge valve: Typically beautifully finished as are most Syrians, with beveled edges. Almost a decorative extra instead of the usual elongated nut even the best Egyptians come with.

Brass?: Inside stem appears to be brass (according to my plumber friend), although the downstem is definitely steel. It came with a diffuser bulb attached.

Weight: Nice and solid. I would guesstimate over 10 pounds total assembled. (My KM Tri-Metal is almost 16 pounds and although it's not that heavy, it's definitely one of my nicer weight pipe.)

Smoke: Amazing. As good as any pipe I've ever smoked. Good draw with the Mya hose and effortless with the Nammor. I lit up the regular Mya bowl included with Tangiers Orange Soda. Since it's a female bowl, phunnels will work, however, I always test a new pipe with the standard bowl and hose it comes with. Great flavor, nice, nice clouds.

Freebies/customer service: Usual tongs, screen, tips. I did include in special instructions to please not send me the Nakla Mixed Fruit and Hookah Conpany complied by sending me Sweet Melon Nakla. The customer service was great as usual. Not only did they pay attention to my request to hold the mixed fruit, but I ordered it on a Friday, they shipped it the following Tuesday, and it was on my doorstep Wednesday. Shipped Federal Express ground and packaged it with enough air bags, bubble sheets and peanuts that it took me 15 minutes to unwrap it. Hookah Company always seems to put a peanut partially into every opening which on my first pipe from them was a little confusing until I realized it prevents smaller objects or dust from getting into the stem.

Cons: The downstem COULD be slightly longer, however, since I either smoke alone, or light up multiple one-hose pipes when I have friends around, it's a none-issue for me personally. There is enough room for a decent amount of smoke. Although the base is beautiful, the biggest portion of it is frosted so adding water is a little tricky at first to see the level.

Price: $92.00 with shipping after forum discount, however, I also added an extra replacement bowl for another pipe, so probably closer to $87.00 without the extra bowl.

End rating: 9.75 out of 10.

So far I've been really lucky with my pipe choices. Haven't bought a bad one yet. And this one is no exception. It's the pipe everyone reaches for when they come over to smoke because it's so good looking and smokes so well. Would I buy another one? In a heartbeat.