Jump to content

Recommended Posts

I have recently run out of my usual shisha coals and I decided to try using BBQ coals on my shisha. Are there any bad things about doing this, it seemed to workk ok. Thanks. rolleyes.gif
Link to post
Share on other sites
Dude, are you talking about standard BBQ coals with lighter fluid or something like natural wood coals? The lighter fluid can make you sick. Do a "search" - several people here have asked the same question - it's NOT recommended to use standard BBQ coals.
Link to post
Share on other sites
You're breathing in Carbon Monoxide with BBQ Coals... BAD IDEA!

Edit for the Canuck. smile.gif THX.. Still Bad! Edited by Shifty
Link to post
Share on other sites
If they're natural, you *might* be alright.

If these are quick lighting charcoals (like Kingsford), you could KILL YOURSELF doing that.
Link to post
Share on other sites
I believe that you always inhale CO when smoking in general. But ya, BBQ charcoals are universally recognized as being bad. Might make you pass out I believe.
Link to post
Share on other sites
QUOTE (Canuck Noob @ May 21 2007, 11:46 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I believe you mean Carbon Monoxide. Its a poison; Carbon Dioxide is not.

wink.gif



ACTUALLY.... You can die from carbon DIOXIDE as well. CO2 is EXTREMELY poisonous to the human body (I guess Chemistry paid off, huh?!). And so is carbon monoxide. Extremely bad to use barbecue charcoals!
Link to post
Share on other sites
I agree I would never use BBQ coals... but I have a friend from Dubai who uses Kingsford EasyLites regularly and he says its the best ever. But I havent tried... when I smoke with him... I bring a roll of 3 kings.
Link to post
Share on other sites
QUOTE (txhookahman @ May 21 2007, 06:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (Canuck Noob @ May 21 2007, 11:46 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I believe you mean Carbon Monoxide. Its a poison; Carbon Dioxide is not.

wink.gif



ACTUALLY.... You can die from carbon DIOXIDE as well. CO2 is EXTREMELY poisonous to the human body (I guess Chemistry paid off, huh?!). And so is carbon monoxide. Extremely bad to use barbecue charcoals!


You need to do a little more research.

Carbon Monoxide binds very strongly to hemoglobin, resulting in the possibility of death even if you start to get oxygen again. Carbon Dioxide is only dangerous if you are stuck in an environment where there are very high concentrations of it and you cannot quickly remove yourself to fresh air. CO2 only becomes poisonous (beyond simply acting as an asphyxiant) at concentrations much higher than the ones at which Carbon Monoxide is dangerous. Carbon Monoxide is much, much, much, much, much, much, much more dangerous, I promise. Edited by mgcsinc
Link to post
Share on other sites
QUOTE (mgcsinc @ May 21 2007, 07:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (txhookahman @ May 21 2007, 06:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (Canuck Noob @ May 21 2007, 11:46 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I believe you mean Carbon Monoxide. Its a poison; Carbon Dioxide is not.

wink.gif



ACTUALLY.... You can die from carbon DIOXIDE as well. CO2 is EXTREMELY poisonous to the human body (I guess Chemistry paid off, huh?!). And so is carbon monoxide. Extremely bad to use barbecue charcoals!


You need to do a little more research.

Carbon Monoxide binds very strongly to hemoglobin, resulting in the possibility of death even if you start to get oxygen again. Carbon Dioxide is only dangerous if you are stuck in an environment where there are very high concentrations of it and you cannot quickly remove yourself to fresh air. CO2 only becomes poisonous (beyond simply acting as an asphyxiant) at concentrations much higher than the ones at which Carbon Monoxide is dangerous. Carbon Monoxide is much, much, much, much, much, much, much more dangerous, I promise.




I need not more research. I didn't deny that carbon monoxide is more dangerous. I'm just pointing out that CO2 is more dangerous than people believe. I know how dangerous carbon monoxide is. Everyone should know the danger. So:

DO NOT USE REGULAR BARBECUE CHARCOALS. YOU CAN DIE!!!
Link to post
Share on other sites
yo it's dangerous to use BBq coal but if it's natural coal then its okay. You are smoking carbon monoxide which is very bad for you if your using bbq coal peace keep smoking shisha dude
Link to post
Share on other sites
I think it's safe to say he either understands that using BBQ briquettes is dangerous and is afraid to reply, or he's dead from ignoring anyones advice. Probably why he hasn't responded to his own thread in a while.

So lets either wait for a reply from him, or let this thread die (like the OP lol!)















Seriously though, I hope you're not dead..
Link to post
Share on other sites
Yea, sebby, and if you are alive, please call 911 and tell them that you smoked a hookah with barbeque charcoals. Tell them you need IMMEDIATE medical attention. You might go straight to the ICU.

ohmy.gif I hope we haven't lost one of our own. A fellow hookah smoker unsure.gif sad.gif


Seriously, we might wanna pray for sebby. I checked his last post. This is his most recent post. Even though he is a newbie, people who post this kind of health information usually post again on their own thread. If you are reading this, please have a moment of silence and say a prayer that sebby is ok. We don't know how long his smoke session was. 10 minutes he'll probably be ok. 3 hours, he's probably dead. So again, let's pray that sebby is ok. Moment of silence.

Happy Smoking all! Have a healthy smoke for sebby! biggrin.gif
Link to post
Share on other sites
Honestly I have tried to do this once. I would be surprised if he got past one puff. After one puff of that kingsford crap I was coughing for like 10 minutes and didnt touch a hookah for about 2 months.

Best of luck Sebby.

--Amichai Israeli
Link to post
Share on other sites
I've often wondered about using domestic bulk charcoal (not briquettes).

The woods used here for that stuf is usually made from mesquite, hickory or oak. They may have higher levels of toxins than the ones made from lemmonwood or olive wood like you find marketed for hookah.

I would light one of those coals outside and let it smolder and have a look at the ash. You need for the stuff to burn to a white ash without any yellowish spots or other colored areas....
Link to post
Share on other sites
QUOTE (Lakemonster @ May 22 2007, 09:49 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I've often wondered about using domestic bulk charcoal (not briquettes).

The woods used here for that stuf is usually made from mesquite, hickory or oak. They may have higher levels of toxins than the ones made from lemmonwood or olive wood like you find marketed for hookah.

I would light one of those coals outside and let it smolder and have a look at the ash. You need for the stuff to burn to a white ash without any yellowish spots or other colored areas....



That's good to know. I still only trust marketed stuff though. That's why you buy coals like you do gas. When you're getting low, get some more. You don't want to completely run out at the wrong time and then have to unknowingly harm yourself by making do. Glad to know you're ok sebby!
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...