Busted From Smoking Shisha

I am new to this forum and I am also new to hookahs as well.

I would like to start off by saying I have never smoked marijuana or any other illegal drugs in my life. I am a first year law major in college.

It was my second time ever smoking hookah, and I was outside my college dorm in broad daylight at 2:00 pm. Two or three cafeteria staff members passed by me and my friend smoking hookah and they were staring at us. We didn't act suspicious we just kept smoking. After we finished smoking a tasty bowl of Hookah hookah watermelon we cleaned up and started walking to the building entrance. At that point two squad cars rolled up at us in the parking lot and police officers jumped out and stopped us. We were walking straight at them. The officer was your typical asshole and was constantly threatening us. (I am in college and going to be a police officer. I am aware not all cops are like this, but we were not lucky) He said he didn't care what it is I called it and that it was a bong. We only showed respect and understanding, but he took all of my hookah gear with no probable cause. He took my hookah, the coals, the shisha, and my lighter for some reason. He said he had to run tests on it back at the station for illegal substances. I just got the thing two days ago and no illegal substances have ever been near it. If they show a false positive on the tests that means I have a marijuana charge on my record as well as my friend. That would mean we would have to change our majors from law enforcement.

Have any of you ran into the law like this when you were just smoking shisha? I'd love some feedback on this one.

Edit: Spelling error Edited by Oorgle

QUOTE (Oorgle @ Mar 27 2007, 07:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I would like to start off by saying I have never smoked marijuana or any other illegal drugs in my life. I am a first year law major in college.

It was my second time ever smoking hookah, and I was outside my college dorm in broad daylight at 2:00 pm. Two or three cafeteria staff members passed by me and my friend smoking hookah and they were staring at us. We didn't act suspicious we just kept smoking. After we finished smoking a tasty bowl of Hookah hookah watermelon we cleaned up and started walking to the building entrance. At that point two squad cars rolled up at us in the parking lot and police officers jumped out and stopped us. We were walking straight at them. The officer was your typical asshole and was constantly threatening us. (I am in college and going to be a police officer. I am aware not all cops are like this, but we were not lucky) He said he didn't care what it is I called it and that it was a bong. We only showed respect and understanding, but he took all of my hookah gear with no probable cause. He took my hookah, the coals, the shisha, and my lighter for some reason. He said he had to run tests on it back at the station for illegal substances. I just got the thing two days ago and no illegal substances have ever been near it. If they show a false positive on the tests that means I have a marijuana charge on my record as well as my friend. That would mean we would have to change our majors form law enforcement.

Have any of you ran into the law like this when you were just smoking shisha? I'd love some feedback on this one.

No. Thankfully, Univ. of Maryland is a huge school and there are at least 5 Hookah bars near campus and the school body is well into it. The officers know it's not illegal because they actually know what it is and you even find some of them in Prince Cafe.

Can you charge the officers for taking something because they're ignorant about it (in your case, the Hookah)?

(By the way, even if it's legal, much like Cigarette's you can't smoke inside any college dorms as far as I know). If you're going to do it, at least close the door.

Don't know why but I never smoke during the day anyways.

I would file a complaint against the police officesif you really feel wronged, possibly get a lawyer. They aren’t going to show a false positive unless you actually used them for illegal substance and if they do I'm sure if you obtained a lawyer you could get an independent test or a retest. If you are really concerned get a lawyer, otherwise you are at the mercy of the police. They may have not had probable cause, but im fairly sure a hookah would give them reasonable suspicion Edited by maramos

QUOTE (maramos @ Mar 27 2007, 07:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I would file a complaint against the police officesif you really feel wronged, possibly get a lawyer. They aren’t going to show a false positive unless you actually used them for illegal substance and if they do I'm sure if you obtained a lawyer you could get an independent test or a retest. If you are really concerned get a lawyer, otherwise you are at the mercy of the police. They may have not had probable cause, but im fairly sure a hookah would give them reasonable suspicion

He's Right. I would buy a CVS drugtest, and take it. This way, if they get a false positive, you have a drug test proving that to be wrong. Fortunatly, some areas are cultured, and understand what a hookah is, and its intended use. In areas that the local authorities are NOT articulated, you should expect this typical behavior. Thanks to liberal media and stupidity, they've been called bongs, and many see it as a hidden device for illegal use. Since my yard isnt fenced in I'm expecting the cops to come by, since my neighbors are idiots. Hopefully you get your stuff back, with little damage.

I was home on R&R from the Middle East, sitting outside my garage in broad daylight, enjoying my Hooka when a squad car came up the driveway. I guess one of my neighbors called them. I live in a small town so I kinda expected it....
The Officer got out of his car and approached me. I explained the whole Hooka-thing to him, showed him the jar of Shesha I was smoking...explained that I was home on leave, etc. I told him he was free to do a field-test for weed on my Hooka. He agreed. He got his test kit out of his trunk and took a swab of my Hooka, under the bowl and another test of the stuff in the bowl...both negative. He thanked me for my cooperation and left! I have had no problems since.... I still sit outside and enjoy smoking... Not all cops are assholes I guess....

Just my 2 cents...

Harry

This is exactly why no one should smoke nerfarious substances out of your hookah... because you never know when something like this can happen.

I would not worry about the test results, man. If you didn't smoke anything nefarious out of it, then you wont get a false positive. I would file a complaint and always be as polite as possible to people (it gives creedance to yourself) but remember you can be polite and firm at the same time. Contact a lawyer if things get carry... and always remember, if "evidence" is confiscated by the police and turns out that the crime never happened it ceases belonging to the state and must be returned to you. If it doesn't, sue the hell out of them.

QUOTE (LilTank13 @ Mar 28 2007, 12:27 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Knowing my smart ass, I would have went to jail... Props to all those who are nice. The good thing about living in a small town all your life, is you get drunk and party with the cops... Even if your underage.

cop: what flavor you smoking tonight?
me: oh you know, the good stuff?
cop: what the hell does that mean?
me: (give him a quick wink)
cop: sir, I am going to have to ask you to blow some of that smoke towards me
me: no sir, you can take a hit if you want

..i finially agreed to blow some smoke towards him, told him it was mint chip and he was on his way. i love messin with the asu police, they havnt asked me a question since. I smoke right next to the police station

No way that could happen to me , hehe. Even if you are smoking marijuana , the average cop will tell you to throw it away and be on his way. But then again , we have a provincial AND federal political party for the legalization of pot...different stance towards it.

I'm pretty sure you can just go to the police station in a couple of days and ask for it back. Edited by ShishaFred

The point is, as much as I hate the cops from previous personal experiences, you should be nice to them if they honestly don't know what it is. First thing you should do is pick up the tobacco bag and show them what exactly it is as well as lifting the bowl to show what's inside. Thankfully, I don't have to deal with that. Edited by Gaara

QUOTE (Gaara @ Mar 27 2007, 07:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It was my second time ever smoking hookah, and I was outside my college dorm in broad daylight at 2:00 pm. Two or three cafeteria staff members passed by me and my friend smoking hookah and they were staring at us. We didn't act suspicious we just kept smoking. After we finished smoking a tasty bowl of Hookah hookah watermelon we cleaned up and started walking to the building entrance. At that point two squad cars rolled up at us in the parking lot and police officers jumped out and stopped us. We were walking straight at them. The officer was your typical asshole and was constantly threatening us. (I am in college and going to be a police officer. I am aware not all cops are like this, but we were not lucky) He said he didn't care what it is I called it and that it was a bong. We only showed respect and understanding, but he took all of my hookah gear with no probable cause. He took my hookah, the coals, the shisha, and my lighter for some reason. He said he had to run tests on it back at the station for illegal substances. I just got the thing two days ago and no illegal substances have ever been near it. If they show a false positive on the tests that means I have a marijuana charge on my record as well as my friend. That would mean we would have to change our majors form law enforcement.

No. Thankfully, Univ. of Maryland is a huge school and there are at least 5 Hookah bars near campus and the school body is well into it. The officers know it's not illegal because they actually know what it is and you even find some of them in Prince Cafe.

Can you charge the officers for taking something because they're ignorant about it (in your case, the Hookah)?

Holy crap... ur at UMCP... im at UMBC. Haha just outta curiosity... ur not THE gaara from the hub are u?

QUOTE (aldonb1 @ Mar 27 2007, 10:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (Gaara @ Mar 27 2007, 07:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Holy crap... ur at UMCP... im at UMBC. Haha just outta curiosity... ur not THE gaara from the hub are u?

I'm the Gaara from UMCP smile.gif. I also come to Ice Hookah in Towson sometimes.

(By the way, even if it's legal, much like Cigarette's you can't smoke inside any college dorms as far as I know). If you're going to do it, at least close the door.

Don't know why but I never smoke during the day anyways.

We were not in the dorm we were at where all the cafeteria staff always smokes outside. They are the dumb bastards that called the cops on us. angry.gif

hahah damn popo'z. But I remember the very very first time I did hookah was liek 3 years ago i was like 16 i was with my cousin who is a year older than me. He went to a private school and invited me to hang out with him there until the evening when there would be a concert there for amnesty international for fundraising. Anyways i was with my cousin early in the after noon aroun 1230 ish and we were really bored and we went for a walk in a residential area around the school and smoked like 6 cigars each. But then he told me about hookah and explained everything about it to me. So obviously i was totally interested in it. His friend who happend to be half pakistani half Irani has this nice hookah sitting in his room it was really cool looking and big, so my cousin was like to his friend "we should go smoke a bowl". It turns out that at the private school no one is allowed to smoke Period. So they left the school property whenever they needed to smoke and usually went to this train stations that had three abandoned truck trailers parked in the back of the parking lot and one was always open. So we went to the trailer and got settled in smoked an entire bowl i dont know what the flavours were but i think its was mostly nahkla grape and some mixed fruit, but anyways since i was a total noob i took the biggest hits and inhaled as much as I could, didnt really know what i was doing. But i was with three other ppl cousin friend who owned hookah and some other guy. Well..the other guy had a guitar with him and was singing and stuff because he was in the show later that night. The next thing we know we hear footsteps coming up and we looked through the crack in the back door of the trailer and we see two cops walking up to teh side door. We werent too worried about the hookah but the other guy had some alcohal, an you know underaged drinking and police arent a good mix. so yeah he threw the bottle out a broken circular window in the opposite side of the trailer and the police were all like OPEN THE DOOR!. so we open it and they come in and were all like thinking we were doing drugs and stuff and one was an asshole and the other was more understanding so the asshole just bombed us with questions the whole time and was all like what you smoking and the friend of my cousin was like its just tobacco than the cop was like then why do you need tinfoil then? so friend was like for the coal, then the other cop interuppted and said he knew what it was and it wasnt drugs, then tehy were like its ok if you hang out here but dont make too much noise because people called us thinking that you were living in here, like WTF living in there what dumbasses. But anyways they told us to leave for now but it was cool if we hung out there in the future but i was so messed up and had the biggest head rush i kept quiet the whole time and was the only one they didnt talk to.

long boring story is over.