Question About The Ball Bearing

in hookah bars i've been to i notice that on one hose hookah's there's no cap over the part with the ball bearing. I am new to hookah smoking and am wondering if that end on my newly purchased hookah needs to be covered with tape or something ghetto

Um, if there was no cap then the ball bearing wouldn't stay in and thus not making the hookah airtight and then it wouldn't smoke very good... so if it's just an open to the air port, then yes, but something over it. Got a pic incause I just read that wrong?

QUOTE (DizzyGuy @ Mar 21 2007, 06:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I still don't get it... there is a hole in a stem with a ball bearing in it... but if you blow through *purge* the base, does the ball fly out or what?

well i dont know I havent used it yet...my package arrived from HC yesterday WITHOUT MY HOSE *shrug*
and I wont be able to use it until this weekend hopefully

I'm not entirely sure I understand what you mean here, but the hookah should be air tight when you inhale, with the only air coming in at the head. Now, at the hookah bars, can you blow back into the hookah? if not, complain, the hookah is missing the blow back valve that allows you to blow back into the hookah to blow out the stale smoke. If you can not blow back in your hookah...do you have a blow back valve (ball bearing)?

QUOTE (VDDZ @ Mar 21 2007, 07:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm not entirely sure I understand what you mean here, but the hookah should be air tight when you inhale, with the only air coming in at the head. Now, at the hookah bars, can you blow back into the hookah? if not, complain, the hookah is missing the blow back valve that allows you to blow back into the hookah to blow out the stale smoke. If you can not blow back in your hookah...do you have a blow back valve (ball bearing)?

im a noob still, so i think what ur talking about regarding the "blow back valve (ball bearing)" is what I have...i'm just confused b/c there is no cap over it and in the picture of my hookah on HC site there is. That's what's misleading....

QUOTE (benmandude @ Mar 21 2007, 08:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
then you are good my friend. As long as when you blow in through the hose the ball comes up and doesnt fly out and air comes out then you are set.

when i blow through the nonexistent hose (b/c HC didnt send me one) the ball doesnt move, but when i tilt it upside down...it moves around freely w/o falling out

Ok, I got you now, yeah... it might not have that blue thing... but there is still a CAP there it sounds like. you should be able to unscrew that side and see the ball bearing if you wish, i just thought that you meant you had no cap period

QUOTE (DizzyGuy @ Mar 21 2007, 09:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ok, I got you now, yeah... it might not have that blue thing... but there is still a CAP there it sounds like. you should be able to unscrew that side and see the ball bearing if you wish, i just thought that you meant you had no cap period

yeah i dont have a cap, that's what i was trying to say i guess....

Not trying to hijack the thread...but I think my ball bearing is STUCK in place. It makes it like theres no valve there whatsoever. What do I do? Please let me know or PM me if you don't want to hijack this thread. Thanks!

Try cleaning the ball bearing and the place where it sits, maybe it's just full of gunk and sticky. It may be rusted, not helping with the taste of your smoke. Also check to see that there aren't any pieces of metal that would hold the bearing in its inoperable place. You may have to do some delicate filing work. Pics would help!

Measure I. D. of hose connection.

Go to hardware store, etc and look for piece of clear vinyl that is just a bit smaller (1/16 - 1/8" max)
By 6 - 10 ft.

Take home and stick in hole. If too small, wrap tape around until decent seal.

ENJOY NOW!
QUOTE (highc1157 @ Mar 21 2007, 09:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
well i dont know I havent used it yet...my package arrived from HC yesterday WITHOUT MY HOSE *shrug*
and I wont be able to use it until this weekend hopefully