Shisha/base Liquid Mixes

mushrat

This thread will be for revieing shisha/base liquid mixes. If you stumble on a good one, tell us about it. If you tried something and it was the worst thing you'd every tried, WARN us! tongue.gif

This is for reviews of actual specific mixes you have tried. Edited by mushrat

Good:
Havana Strawberry-Banana/Afzal Mango mix shisha -- Red Bull (smoking it as I type haha)
Afzal Peach -- Liptons Iced Peach Tea
Afzal Peach/Azfal Mango -- Citrus SoBe
Afzal Orange -- Orange Juice and Vodka wink.gif
Afzal Double-Apple/Al Waha Blueberry -- Pepsi
Soex Watermelon -- Lava Lizard SoBe
(unknown brand) Cherry/Grape -- Red Bull

Bad:
Watermelon/Cherry -- Mountain Dew (tastes like Roses to me, no thanks).

Peach Layalina and Tea in the base = Sweet Peach Tea
After Nine and Milk/Water = Freaking Good
Peach Layalina and Cranberry = Cran-Peach
X on the Beach and OJ = Hurricane sort of

I will think of more later that I have tried

i tried using apple pucker and vodka with apple tobaco. To my suprise it tasted like shit lol. WAy way to powerful couldnt even taste the smoke

also carbonated cherry celster with cherry tobaco. would have been good if i let the fiz go away to make it flat, but that was bad too.

I'm continuing here from the Experimental Water Mixtures topic in the How-To Funhouse, where I've got a number of recipes for other mixtures you might want to try.

I'm excited, so I'm going to throw this one out real quick. A quick note, these are guesses at the percantages we used. The best I can say really, is there was more water than champagne. I wax poetic when I drink, so forgive the length of this one:

Rose Garden After A Spring Rain or "Tee-hee, it smells like flowers" - A Pseudo-springtime celebration. (Roses are summer-bloomers, aren't they?)

Tobacco: Split about 70/30% between Double Apple and Rose. (I'm using El Basha brand, the only brand sold in the local tobacco joint)
Liquid base: 30% champagne (I'll get you the name of it later, we smashed the bottle, but it cost a little over three dollars. This won't break your bank. As an aside, I can't help think an Asti-style sparkling wine would go terrific with this.)
70% bottled water (I swear, it makes a difference. But I'm the only one who thinks so.)
3 stems of dried lavander (I'll try it again with fresh, once I get some going in my garden.)
Crushed ice
1. Infuse the lavender in the water thusly: Heat the water on your stove, over high heat. Bring it to a boil, then immediately take it as low as possible to reach just beneath a light simmer. Add the lavender, and immediately remove from the heat, allow to cool to room temperature.
2. Pour the infusion over the crushed ice.
3. Cork the champagne and add it quickly. Don't waste time or you'll lose the bubbles.
4. Pour immediately into your base.

Apple adds a lot of depth to the flavors you're building, and it's relative neutrality doesn't overpower the rose. Lavender adds to the floral notes (duh), giving a nice background finish to your smoke. Ice, obviously, is for those of us without ice chambers, to cool, condense, and mellow the smoke. While some don't like it, I find that the bubbles from soda or champagne give a definitely enjoyable texture to the experiance, the wine lending a certain dankness that increases the depth of flavor. My friends and I smoked outside in the garden with this, and it was well-taken (Admittedly the girls liked it better than their male counterparts.)

• 1 month later...
ALL GOOD:

Al Amir Blackberry with frozen blackberries and a touch of milk in the base
SB Irish Cream/Al Fakher Mint with coffee in the base
Al Waha Peach with Peach Propel in the base
Al Waha Strawberry/Al Waha Vanilla with frozen strawberries and a touch of milk in the base

• 1 month later...
My Shisha/base liquid mix experience is low, but-

GOOD:
-Romman Mint + Chocolate Milk w/ water
-Jasmine shisha + Green Tea
-Most shisha+diluted hard liquor (a shot or so of vodka or gin is what I've tried)

BAD:
-shisha+beer
-shisha+non-diluted milk (the milk bubbles up and gets into the hose)

I've tried Romman Mint+ ice water with mint leaves, the mint leaves really didn't add much, honestly

a good faux-chocomint recipe

i used to use this mixture a lot because the store i bought shisha from didnt have anything chocolate or mint, but this turned out to be quite enjoyable:

cappucino tobacco (Nakhla is what i used)
a cap full of peppermint extract in the water

this is really only good if you dont already have a good chocomint flavor, which i would say this is a little different from, but gives the same effect.

One that my friends and I always enjoy
Havana Lemon with Vault. Any lemon-lime drink works, i.e. Sprite, Mt. Dew.
It tastes just like the drink. As far as I can tell thats the only combo we've stuck to. Always gotta wash the base out though, due to all the sugar in the soda's.

Edit: Also, we've tried out Cherry (any brand) with Pepsi in the base. It was pleasant and also tasted just like the drink, but I'm not a fan of Cherry. Edited by rrrrramos

Bad: Romman Strawberry w/ Nesquick Strawberry Milk + water.

I don't know if I did not say the right incantation or if the Hookah Gods were upset with me, but the milk bubbled up and got into my cobra hose, ruining it. The smoke wasn't spectacular, either. I've hear people say that this works, but it didnt work for me.

Al Waha Vanilla, Watered down whole milk in base, base put in the frindge for an hour. AWESOME! Very thick smooth smoke. Definately better than cold water or ice/water. I just finished one and I can't wait for the next. biggrin.gif Edited by Dunkel!

Just tried some new stuff, liked it so much I felt the need to post it right away.
Wanting to add to the watermelon flavor thats become qutie repetitve I decided to try some base mixes.
First try: Vanilla Chai Tea Latte + Water, about a 10%/90% mix, small base, bubbled up into hose, didn't add much flavor either. (Watermelon/Vanilla is my bowl of choice at a local lounge)
This mornings attempt: Chopped kiwi and Lemon Lime sports drink in base; suprisingly delicious! The lemon-lime added a lot to the taste, maintained a very nice undertone, while the watermelon flavor still prevailed, with ever the slightest hint of kiwi. I'd been cutting my morning sessions from a couple hours to under half an hour, I was out there a good hour this morning with this mix, and I'll be trying it out again with the other half of the kiwi on my next bowl!!

My friends and I started using tea in the base of the hookah last year, has pretty much become regular as long as we have some available (as I drink tea, it's pretty common). Using the same flavored tea with the flavored sheesha is great.

My favorite combo so far was Peach Tea + Peach Al-Waha. One of the best hookahs I've ever smoked. Delicious.

One thing I've really noticed though is that the hookah always smells better than it normally would with just water. The base was starting to get a very "old hookah" smell to it. Using tea prevents that.

• 2 weeks later...
Had some peach drink (powder that you mix with water) in the fridge, decided to put it to good use. Smoked with the peach drink (made stronger than the package directs, I have a major sweet tooth) in the base and Starbuzz White Peach in a regular bowl. Oh em effing gee.

Also tried smoking a couple different Starbuzz tobaccos through sweetened condensed cream + water....definately used too much cream/not enough water. Smoked AMAZING but was a royal pain in the ass to clean up.

Ok, here it goes... Mix all of the following into the vase-

-Hawaiian Punch Guava Citrus juice
-1/2 can of Welch's Strawberry Breeze fruit concentrate (frozen)
-8 finely crushed Altoids
-Lots of ice

This liquid combo goes great with any berry shisha. The Hawaiian Punch and Welch's concentrate really compliment the raspberry flavor of the shisha, while the crushed Altoids give the smoke a "cool" feel to it. I used Layalina Raspberry with this liquid combonation yesterday and it was very tasty. I recommend trying this one, its good. smile.gif

• 2 weeks later...
WIN: Kool-Ade packets that correspond to the flavor you're smoking. At my grocery store you can get them 8 for a buck, although they didn't have straight raspberry, just blue raspberry lemonade. Just dump the entire packet in, 1/4c sugar (not too much, it starts to dilute the flavor after a while) and water.

Any Kern's Nectar that corresponds to or contrasts the shisha. Between 1/4 to 1/2 of a can is all that is necessary. Any more that that and you're just smoking straight Kern's. It's thicker than milk and give gorgeous clouds and adds a creamy taste that compliments the shisha VERY well.

• 2 weeks later...
Jungle juice and Al Waha Sweet Melon

Jungle juice: 5 lbs of ice, gallon of watermelon/cherry koolaide, gallon of sunny delight orange juice, about a 1/2 gallon of light jamaican rum, 3/4 a 1/5 of peach schnapps, and some peach and pineapple junks

The flavor was amazing and the buzz was pretty amazing as well!

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
recently i tried adding kool-aid(tropical punch) to Tonic tropical fruit it was good added a nice sweetness to it. i also tried 2 shots of capt. morgan pinapple to Tonic peach also a very sweet mix very smooth with a nice alcohol kick to it wink.gif