Dog Owners

The Cameron

i was just curious as to what everyone here's favorite small dog is. my fiancee and i are looking for a small dog to take with us when we move up north for school. she has a small dog now, and we hate each other, so as soon as we move, hes going to live with someone else. hooray. i promised to replace it and we're looking for a small dog. any opinions? whats your favorite breed of small dog? and noone better say chihuahua, cuz that is out of the question.

Rat terrier. Small and spunky enough to take on a large dog. Nice short hair so they don't shed all over the place and they are very clean little dogs. Great little manly man dogs. And sweet as hell.

QUOTE (hmpitags2006 @ Mar 12 2007, 11:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Boston terriers are my favorite little dog. Also mutts are cool, and I would get one from the ASPCA.
+1 on getting a dog from the humane society! That's where I got my English Foxhound cross, and he is the most loving dog you'll ever meet because he apreciates his life more than most dogs do.

hahaha lets see small dogs , do you want a functional dog or a purse dog?

purse dog... Tea cup westie
Tea cup yorkie.
toy (tea cup) poodle

functional dog minature dachshund
lowrider dog (welshi corgi !!!!)

as for other smaller dogs (under 20lbs) most shihtzu's, lasaapso's and breeds of that natures have HORRIBLE skin issues. beware and be careful

min pins are cute too wink.gif

+! for the local aspca just ask for a dog that's mixed with a certian breed or get on a waiting list for a specific breed they allow that! smile.gif
]
goog luck!

I generally prefer Pit Bulls. Most of the 100 Pound "pit bulls" you see today aren't true APBT's, they were cross-bred somewhere down the line with mastiffs, etc. Although most people hate pitbulls because of the reputation the media gives them, they are some of the most loyal and loving breeds out there. Their temperment tests rank higher than poodles, golden retrivers, german sherards, etc.

If you find the right breeder, you can find a "true" pitbull around 35-40 pounds. that might be too big for the "small" dog you are looking for though. If not, Carin Terrier, mini Bull Terrier, and boston terrier are some suggestions. good luck!

I know! I know!

Welsh pembroke corgi. I'll never own another breed of dog. Evar.

It's not a *small* dog, it's just a *short* dog. Not small enough to be annoying, not big enough to be annoying. Edited by james

Mini Schnauzers are the best choice for a small dog, they're tough enough to go hiking with you, small enough to sit on your lap, and are generally very well behaved and don't shit a lot!

I've got two right now and they're great, my parents had some and their parents before them... probably beyond that but I wasn't there to know. cool.gif

I'd go for a teacup/toy maltese..They're pretty nice. My stepmother has a teacup (3.8lbs full grown)

**Edit
On second thought, they can be very, very expensive ($2000+ for the dog + $$$$ for medicines, etc)..Papillons are pretty good dogs too..Small as well Edited by Hookah_Bob3

wow, it looks like everyone here has provided great responses. thank you all very much. after much consideration, we've narrowed it down to two dogs. a miniature dachshund and a basset hound. i know the basset hound isnt the smallest of dogs, but they still dont get very tall. again, thank you all for your opinions, it was quite helpful and we actually looked all of them up.
Cameron

QUOTE (james @ Mar 13 2007, 06:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I know! I know!

Welsh pembroke corgi. I'll never own another breed of dog. Evar.

It's not a *small* dog, it's just a *short* dog. Not small enough to be annoying, not big enough to be annoying.

also, this dog looks frickin awesome and i was so game, but my fiancee shot me down. sorry james.

Shiba Inu, there good looking dogs, there not really small, more of a medium but mine barely come up to my knee (my hip when on two legs) (btw im 6 foot so you can get an idea as to how tall it is) and they they dont bark like other smaller dogs, mine are really quiet

If i were you I'd go with a bigger dog, because little ones aren't much better than cats. I have a golden retriever and I have it really well trained and it's the nicest dog to everyone. Plus, we take it hunting every once in a while and it retrieves brids like a pro

QUOTE (The King @ Mar 20 2007, 09:22 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If i were you I'd go with a bigger dog, because little ones aren't much better than cats. I have a golden retriever and I have it really well trained and it's the nicest dog to everyone. Plus, we take it hunting every once in a while and it retrieves brids like a pro

But cats are the best! sad.gif

I LOVE CATS...... i have 5 lol.... well 5 that live with me but 4 are mine. Chato, Cow, UC, And Tyrone.

I think they're great! My cats curl up on me when i go to sleep and keep me nice and warm and snuggled!

I love that little welshi corgi puppy! I WANT HIM!

as for basset hounds. Make sure you look up all the genetic stuff and disorders on them, those are hard to take care of dogs and require a lot of maintanence. (especially with ears and toe nails and conjunctavitis!!!)

but good luck to you man! Just make sure where ever you get any dog from is a reputable breeder. Do not buy them from puppy mill stores or flea markets or back yard breeders.

Make sure they have ALL of the required shots (florida requires that you get a health certificate signed by their vet, stating what shots they have been given by a veterinarian and only a vet! Couple of tips on what you should look out for.

1. Nobody should sell a puppy before they are 8 weeks old.
2. By this time the puppy should have recieved 2 -3 dewormings by strongit, or drontal, or panacure (dont like panacure as most people dont follow up the second portion of the deworm process)
3. The DHPP (NO LEPTO for dachshunds ever they are allergic, and the first puppy shot is always non lepto no matter the breed.) should be given either at 6 or 8 weeks.
4. Dhlpp (W/ LEPTO EXCEPT DACHSHUNDS) is to be given at 2-3 week intervals until the dog has had 4-5 shots or is 4 months old. So if you get a 12 week old puppy it should have at LEAST 3 shots on board for DHLPP.

( it may seem redundant, but the reason they do this is they are not exactly sure when the mothers immunity is going to wear off. If the mother is well vaccinated than it may last longer, if not, it may be shorter, so they do it at 2-3 week intervals to make sure they dont miss the window and the poor puppy gets distemper, hepatitis, lepto, parainfluenza, or parvo etc.)

5 when the dog is 12 weeks it should get bordetella (a modified live virus that if given ANY earlier than this could make them catch pnemonia, but 12 weeks is the earliest it can be given with the least amount of reaction, and it is required by florida law to sell a dog.
5 when the dog is 8 weeks old if it hasn't been dewormed it should be dewormed again, and again at 10 weeks if it has no deworm history *(or whenever you get it......!!)
6. at 12 weeks make sure your vet gets the puppy on heartworm prevention. this will be a monthly dewormer for the rest of your dogs life. and will protect you and him from hook worms, roundworms, heartworms.
7 get on a reputable flea prevention, like "advantage, advantix, revolution, sentinal "
8 at 4 months when there nervous system fully develops you'll need an rv shot (rabies)
9 if you spay/ neuter them, that's next before they go into their first heat or full on puberty (around 4-7 months)

hope this information helps you. Edited by kornkitten42

QUOTE (kornkitten42 @ Mar 20 2007, 03:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I LOVE CATS...... i have 5 lol.... well 5 that live with me but 4 are mine. Chato, Cow, UC, And Tyrone.

I think they're great! My cats curl up on me when i go to sleep and keep me nice and warm and snuggled!

I love that little welshi corgi puppy! I WANT HIM!

as for basset hounds. Make sure you look up all the genetic stuff and disorders on them, those are hard to take care of dogs and require a lot of maintanence. (especially with ears and toe nails and conjunctavitis!!!)

but good luck to you man! Just make sure where ever you get any dog from is a reputable breeder. Do not buy them from puppy mill stores or flea markets or back yard breeders.

Make sure they have ALL of the required shots (florida requires that you get a health certificate signed by their vet, stating what shots they have been given by a veterinarian and only a vet! Couple of tips on what you should look out for.

1. Nobody should sell a puppy before they are 8 weeks old.
2. By this time the puppy should have recieved 2 -3 dewormings by strongit, or drontal, or panacure (dont like panacure as most people dont follow up the second portion of the deworm process)
3. The DHPP (NO LEPTO for dachshunds ever they are allergic, and the first puppy shot is always non lepto no matter the breed.) should be given either at 6 or 8 weeks.
4. Dhlpp (W/ LEPTO EXCEPT DACHSHUNDS) is to be given at 2-3 week intervals until the dog has had 4-5 shots or is 4 months old. So if you get a 12 week old puppy it should have at LEAST 3 shots on board for DHLPP.

( it may seem redundant, but the reason they do this is they are not exactly sure when the mothers immunity is going to wear off. If the mother is well vaccinated than it may last longer, if not, it may be shorter, so they do it at 2-3 week intervals to make sure they dont miss the window and the poor puppy gets distemper, hepatitis, lepto, parainfluenza, or parvo etc.)

5 when the dog is 12 weeks it should get bordetella (a modified live virus that if given ANY earlier than this could make them catch pnemonia, but 12 weeks is the earliest it can be given with the least amount of reaction, and it is required by florida law to sell a dog.
5 when the dog is 8 weeks old if it hasn't been dewormed it should be dewormed again, and again at 10 weeks if it has no deworm history *(or whenever you get it......!!)
6. at 12 weeks make sure your vet gets the puppy on heartworm prevention. this will be a monthly dewormer for the rest of your dogs life. and will protect you and him from hook worms, roundworms, heartworms.
7 get on a reputable flea prevention, like "advantage, advantix, revolution, sentinal "
8 at 4 months when there nervous system fully develops you'll need an rv shot (rabies)
9 if you spay/ neuter them, that's next before they go into their first heat or full on puberty (around 4-7 months)

hope this information helps you.

damn, someone knows their stuff. i'll make sure to print this out when i go.