Help With A Scali Mod

Hello all, I have a small phunnel that I just got from MNh. Since they were out of scali mods I thought I'd make my own. So I got a 3/4" copper endcap, but I was unable to successfully bend it correctly. It just became NOT a circle and actually cracked not bent. So I was just wondering if anyone out there had successfully made their own scali mod if I could paypal you a few bucks to cover time, materials and postage and send me one. That would be super. Thanks guys.

hey man... I'm pretty much a master at making my own scalli mods, and let me tell you, the small phunnel is so small that you don't need a mod. The small phunnel only holds 15-20 grams...tops. Thats not enough to warrant a mod.

cool zero. Although I was reading one of your old posts about making them and since the 1/2" didnt fit on my phunnel I think I may have a medium. Could you whip me up one? I could cover all costs plus a little bit extra.

QUOTE (mazultav @ Mar 11 2007, 10:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
cool zero. Although I was reading one of your old posts about making them and since the 1/2" didnt fit on my phunnel I think I may have a medium. Could you whip me up one? I could cover all costs plus a little bit extra.
The 1/2" doesn't fit in my small phunnel either. When I bump it up to a 3/4" it's so tall that I can't get it beat down short enough even after heating it with my torch...I'm pretty sure that you do have a small and not a medium...unless I have a medium as well. LOL

you have to heat copper to work it. Once it is hot with the right tools you can form it. It will still split if you stretch an area too much.
I still heat my mods with a torch and toss them into cold water because I think it kills off the properties that can give an off taste if it gets too hot. I use them on my small as well except for with Tangiers. It smokes better without it from my experience so far.

QUOTE (Scalliwag @ Mar 12 2007, 10:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
you have to heat copper to work it. Once it is hot with the right tools you can form it. It will still split if you stretch an area too much.
I still heat my mods with a torch and toss them into cold water because I think it kills off the properties that can give an off taste if it gets too hot. I use them on my small as well except for with Tangiers. It smokes better without it from my experience so far.
Does MN hookah still carry them? I want one for my small phunnel, but I did not see that they had them when I ordered it...and even if they had them right now I guess it would be silly to order just the mod...

The idea belongs to MN now. I jst made them enough to get them time to get setup to make them themselves. Too many projects of all sorts and too little time as it is or I would them. I have been spending a lot of time honing my recording skills and working on the studio. My hottub area is eating up a lot of time, put in frenchdoorsm getting ready to pour concrete, build out the porch, etc. There is not enough money in making mods to justify spending the time on them. I have to make myself stop or at least slow down enough to pack a bowl lately.

I have not talked to Scott or Tarik, they may be in the market for someone to knock out batches for them. I know they are busy bees with running the hookah company and filling orders and all involved with that.

Ha, wow, sounds like my house. It's about 170 years old and needs love smile.gif But I tried making my own mod yesterday. I have off of school for a week so I couldn't use my tools and the school's oxy-acetylene torches, no. I had to use the stovetop and various tools scattered around the basement that my dad doesn't take proper care of. So I had a needlenose pliers with one of the tips broken off and a vise-grips to work with. Uh... it didn't end very well. It has the GENERIC shape to it, but it sits too high. And it kinda resembles a hat that was sat on. Very ugly, I was amused with it. I showed my mom, "Lookit this thing I made, it's so ugly!" while trying not to die laughing. She didn't quite know what to make of it.

mazultav, I would prefer if you purchase your mod from MNH at all possible. Pretty much cause technically its their product, and I feel as if I wouldn't be any better than that guy that if making cheap knock-offs of Tangiers phunnel bowl.

If MNH is out and they won't have anymore for a while, I would be happy to make a mod for you. I think my cost would total about $1... postage will be more than the mod, haha. Also, I would prefer if I had permission to make one to give you anyway. I have no problem making a few for myself, but when I start giving them to others... well that just gets messy.

As for using the 3/4 cap, its not all that hard, heat it up, and smack it down with a hammer quite a bit, and you'll get your mod with a little practice. Put it into the water and let cool. After I use some needle-nose pliers and make 3 bends in a triangle formation. Put in bowl. If its not flush with the rim, hit with hammer and repeat.

I use 1/2 too, it just involves a little more hitting and bending, but I find that the 1/2 goes below the rim, which is what I like for air circulation.

As for the small phunnel, I really don't see any benefit using it. The amount of shisha I use to fill up the small is insignificant (20 grams) to pack a phunnel full.

QUOTE (mazultav @ Mar 13 2007, 10:25 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
cool Zero. MNh is nothing but cool to this community, I would not want to step on any toes. I'll try to see whats going on on their end.

Yeah man, its all out of respect.. thats all. If MNH isn't going to have any for a while, and they give me the green light, I'll be happy to make one for you.

is it better to have a small phunnel with no mod or a medium phunnel with mod?

if i get a medium phunnel can i just pack less shisha if i am by myslef?

I am happy w/ my mod & a small funnel (lasts me 2 x 1.5 hr sessions on average biggrin.gif )

I REALLY have to get some pics of my baffle on top (too many projects, too little time). Split a 3k to get just the right heat and after that no coal management.

Haven't had ANY burning or harshness to speak of since I perfected this setup on both an Egyptian or a Mya Acrylic, just good full smoke biggrin.gif

Thanks again to MNHookah and Scalli for coming up w/ the inspiration (and Phunnel + tobacco) biggrin.gif

QUOTE (rez @ Mar 13 2007, 07:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

QUOTE (hookahmike @ Mar 13 2007, 05:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I am happy w/ my mod & a small funnel (lasts me 2 x 1.5 hr sessions on average biggrin.gif )

I REALLY have to get some pics of my baffle on top (too many projects, too little time). Split a 3k to get just the right heat and after that no coal management.

Haven't had ANY burning or harshness to speak of since I perfected this setup on both an Egyptian or a Mya Acrylic, just good full smoke biggrin.gif

Thanks again to MNHookah and Scalli for coming up w/ the inspiration (and Phunnel + tobacco) biggrin.gif

QUOTE (rez @ Mar 13 2007, 07:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

yea get some pics plz and post them up.

First off just wanted to say a quick hello to everyone... new to the boards, and somewhat new to hookahs. Used to smoke my neighbor's a lot last year, but have since moved away - - mainly a cigar smoker (on occasion), but recently ordered a setup of my own from Hookah Kings (coming in Friday). Looking forward to learning all that everyone has to teach me smile.gif

As far as the small phunnel bowls and scalli mods... I sent an email to MNH the other day and got this reply yesterday..

We are currently out of stock of small phunnel bowls and scalli mods. We should be getting mods in this week sometime, and the small phunnel bowls at the end of next week.

Hope this helps everyone

QUOTE (BravoKilo @ Mar 13 2007, 07:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
First off just wanted to say a quick hello to everyone... new to the boards, and somewhat new to hookahs. Used to smoke my neighbor's a lot last year, but have since moved away - - mainly a cigar smoker (on occasion), but recently ordered a setup of my own from Hookah Kings (coming in Friday). Looking forward to learning all that everyone has to teach me smile.gif

As far as the small phunnel bowls and scalli mods... I sent an email to MNH the other day and got this reply yesterday..

We are currently out of stock of small phunnel bowls and scalli mods. We should be getting mods in this week sometime, and the small phunnel bowls at the end of next week.

Hope this helps everyone

which hookah did you get from HK?

QUOTE (rez @ Mar 14 2007, 12:39 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
which hookah did you get from HK?

Ended up going with their "customizable" medium 3-hose hookah. Figure for $90 shipped its a decent starter kit. Been running around town trying to find a phunnel bowl but haven't had any luck - - the hookah comes in Friday, and with MNH being soldout and HC w/ closed shipping, who knows when I'll be able to get my hands on one (guess I could order a medium and try my hand at making the scalli mod). Guess I'll have to make do w/o one for a while