Cleaning The Mod

So I have Scalli's Mod, which is incredible, and I've been using it for a month or so now. I've noticed its been getting darker and darker, like some gunk from the sheisha is sticking to the mod. At first I thought nothing of this, but now I want to clean it off. I've been in contact with Scalli, and he said that I should torch it or put it on an open flame, so the gunk will be dry. I've done that, and been using 1/2 of a pair of scissors (the broad, length wise, not the tip) to scrape off the dried out stuff. Does anyone know if this black gunk is really bad? Is there a more effective way to clean it? Or is there a more effective tool to scrape off the black gunk?

I was considering posting something about this myself not too long ago. My mod had a nice black gunk build up that actually reached the point to prevent proper air flow. I ended up soaking it in bleach for 2 hours and besides loosening it up a bit, nothing happened. I ended up using a fork and scrapping it all off by hand, then cleaning the heck out of it to get any trace of bleach off of it.

Scalli,

If I do that, wouldn't the metal crack? I thought it was bad to take a very hot object and stick it in cold water....or is it the other way around? Tonight I'll try that and if that doesn't help, I'll boil it with some vinegar and lemon juice.

One last thing, last night I did roast it on the stove top, and the gunk did dry up a bit. I got a much sharper knife to cut the crap off. In the process of doing so, it almost seemed that I was shaving layers off of the mod itself! I wasn't able to get everything off, but it was much cleaner and shinier after a little knif lovin'.

QUOTE (Yoner @ Mar 13 2007, 10:39 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Scalli,

If I do that, wouldn't the metal crack? I thought it was bad to take a very hot object and stick it in cold water....or is it the other way around? Tonight I'll try that and if that doesn't help, I'll boil it with some vinegar and lemon juice.

One last thing, last night I did roast it on the stove top, and the gunk did dry up a bit. I got a much sharper knife to cut the crap off. In the process of doing so, it almost seemed that I was shaving layers off of the mod itself! I wasn't able to get everything off, but it was much cleaner and shinier after a little knif lovin'.

You would not want to do that with glass or anything like that or if it was metal that had some sort of structural function . But for the purpose the mod serves it will be fine. It would take an extremely high heat dropped into extremely cold water to have problems.
I would try that and video it but since the coal in the microwave video Ms. Scalli had a restraining order for me and Shinerbock not to be doing anything stupid involving electricity or fire within 100 yards of or house. My neighbors just outside the 100 yard range followed suit and I think in order for me to have any fun now I have to go at least a mile from the house where people don't know us sad.gif Shiner takes it much more personal than I do though wink.gif

Oh, and just a reminder for those that dont want as much hassle cleaning, put aluminum foil over it. I did that for a while and it worked good. But I went to torching it and tossing it in water.
Keep in mind that the mod is a work in the making. It works great but as Tangiers (Eric) showed us that you can think outside the box.
People will ask you "why reinvent the wheel". My answer to that is if the wheel was never reinvented we would be riding on rocks like in the Flintstones. smile.gif
That said use your imaginations but be careful because after all we are breathing this shit. Fumes from galvanized metal for example can jack your ass up bad and quick. (zinc fumes are bad news) So if you have an idea you are not sure of post it and get some opinions first. At 46 years old and being a welder/mechanic for a lot of years I learned a lot of shit the hard way. Fortunately I was not smoking most of my mistakes ohmy.gif
If you learn some basics you can reinvent better wheels despite all the lazy asses that sit back and say it can't be done. Sometimes they need their stool kicked out from under them.
Remember guys without the invention of the phunnel there definately would have never been a mod. I hope everybody knows how much I admire Eric's incredible ingenuity. Although I admit I felt a little Shiner when Shiner told me he was the smartest fugger he knew sad.gif

True that Scalli, Tangiers is a genius for the phunnel and his tobacco, and you're also the man for the mod.

Still a work in the making eh? What are you going to do to change/improve the mod? Different sizes, or a phunnel with the mod built in??? That would be amazing, if the mod was part of the bowl, and it was glazed as well. Or disposable mods.

my .02...

1. I just took a Copper pipe cap and used a 'Radio Shack nibbling tool' to cut off 3-4 times around the bottom (took about 5 mins)

Then found a set of pliers that I could use w/ a vise to put 4 'corners' on the bottom to let air in. Now it works WONDERFULLY (and copper is required trace metal so you can get your daily requirement there).

2. Due to other additions to my gadget, all I have to use is a toothbrush or a scrubber sponge during cleanup & hot water.

3. I love my phunnel + Scalli mod + coal baffle.

QUOTE (Allia22 @ Mar 13 2007, 05:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think I'm going to take a hacksaw to my monstrosity to make it shorter. Ugh, it's going to take forever sad.gif

No money for fancy gadgets. I think I'll end up waiting til next week so I can use the school's plasma cutter. This could get interesting biggrin.gif

QUOTE (Yoner @ Mar 13 2007, 12:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Still a work in the making eh? What are you going to do to change/improve the mod? Different sizes, or a phunnel with the mod built in??? That would be amazing, if the mod was part of the bowl, and it was glazed as well. Or disposable mods.

my .02...

I guess I worded it wrong. Just like the wheel, this was pretty much the first wheel on the first car. Ideas others have may put the first to shame. Those ideas could come from anybody anywhere. Ideas alone are not enough, following through is key.
I am quite sure that there are many people that lived and died that had excellent ideas but never pursued them for different reasons. It is a pretty big rush to see something through and it works. Don't be afraid of failure unless it involves a microwave sad.gif

Hookahmike's idea with a nibbling tool was pretty damn cool by the way smile.gif

Just wanted to let everyone know that I tried out Scalli's idea with the torch/stove top...

Heated up the mod till it started to get black all over, dropped it in cold/cool water...it fizzled....but nothing bad happened and the mod was cleansed! Not all the way mind you, but much better than before!

Try it at your own risk, I don't want Scalli or I to get blamed if (heavens forbid) something goes wrong and someone gets hurt. But his method works like a charm.

bumpage smile.gif

I tried this last night. Heated up the mod until it glowed.
Then dropped it into a sink full of cold water.

And DAMN! It was like 90% clean. A Quick whip round it with an abrasive cleaning cloth and nearly 95% of it is clean!

Nice work Scalli - Thanks for the tip!

JD