Homemade Coals

Turtle

Hey everyone.

I've been browsing the how-to section, and I've noticed some really awesome topics (the Triple H Hookah is definitely something I want to try).

My question however, lies not in alternative lighting methods or construction tips for the pipe itself, but in the coal. I've got a rig where we create our own coals for things such as barbecueing, clay working, fire starting, etc using a retort, and I'm fairly comfortable wiht my charring abilities.

What I'm wondering is if its possible to make your own coals, and if so, what woods should I look at using. I know to avoid things like hickory or mesquite (the last thing I want is to flavor my tobacco), but really not too sure on anything else. All suggestions would be welcomed.

when im out at my buddy's property, we sometimes try using coals from the bonfire on the hookah, and then dont work well. i dont think they retain heat very well. we use pine, birch, maple, and oak mostly.

if i remember correctly, there was a post several months ago about this very subject and i believe it was done by our own loveable pirate, Scalliwag!! i think he actually made some home made coals at his house. here's the link for the original thread....I am making my own charcoals!!!