Questions For You Hookah Experts

Could some of you knowledgeable shisha experts please answer a few questions for me?

1) Why does the top layer of tobacco burn against the foil sometimes? I leave a gap, I make sure the tobacco isn't packed down, I use the foil shiny-side down, and I wait until the 3K coal turns grey. I even reposition it so it doesn't get too hot in one spot. But still, sometimes it burns and has a terrible taste. What am I doing wrong?

2) Why do some people put ice in the bowl?

3) I use the same tobacco at home (Nakhla strawberry) as the shisha cafe I go to, and I clean my shisha after every use. But their shisha always tastes better and sweeter than mine. I can never get my shisha at home to taste that good. Why?

4) I run hot water through my hose after each use to clean it. Is that correct, or is there a better way? How long do you recommend using a hose before replacing it? Is one type of hose material better than another?

5) Lastly, I would like to know more about nicotine filters for shishas. Are they one-size-fits-all? Where do they attach?

Thanks so much for your answers.

1. The shisha will burn to the foil simply because its too close, try breaking your coals into slightly smaller pieces so the coal wont weigh down the foil, and burn your shisha.
2.Ice in the base of your pipe will give you a nice cool smoke, some people prefer this to warmer smoke.
3.Try packing your shisha differently, try pulling it apart or packing it tighter, you could of also gotten a bad batch.
4.Simply blowing through your hose after use is usually good enough.
5.Nicotene filters fit in the mouth piece of your hose, they should fit most hoses, unless you have a very narrow mouth tip.

QUOTE (dc denizen @ Feb 19 2007, 08:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Could some of you knowledgeable shisha experts please answer a few questions for me?

1) Why does the top layer of tobacco burn against the foil sometimes? I leave a gap, I make sure the tobacco isn't packed down, I use the foil shiny-side down, and I wait until the 3K coal turns grey. I even reposition it so it doesn't get too hot in one spot. But still, sometimes it burns and has a terrible taste. What am I doing wrong?

3) I use the same tobacco at home (Nakhla strawberry) as the shisha cafe I go to, and I clean my shisha after every use. But their shisha always tastes better and sweeter than mine. I can never get my shisha at home to taste that good. Why?

4) I run hot water through my hose after each use to clean it. Is that correct, or is there a better way? How long do you recommend using a hose before replacing it? Is one type of hose material better than another?

5) Lastly, I would like to know more about nicotine filters for shishas. Are they one-size-fits-all? Where do they attach?

Thanks so much for your answers.

hey welcome to the forum! I'll do my best to answer your questions.

1) You get the burnt tobbaco on the foil cause you put too much in, or you didn't pack it down enough. You may leave a gap, but when a heavy coal with downforce from the sucking gets into contact with hot tin foil.. you get the idea. A good way to prevent this is to break up your coals, and make sure the foil is properly on the bowl. I like to make mine nice and tight with no slack (even when punching holes).

2) Ice does a few things. One, it chills the water, which cools the smoke. Two, ice floats near the stem, and when you suck the ice bounces around and acts kinda like a diffuser in the base.... the ice breaks the smoke bubbles in the water. Three, its kinda cool hearing cling clanging around, haha.

3) Go back to number 1... usually its how you pack the bowl, and heat management. Maybe its fresher tobbaco, or they let it acclimate... try experimenting with packing your bowl... you'll find that there isn't just one right way.

4) I am assuming you have a washable hose... if you have a standard hose, you can't wash it. With a washable hose, running hot water is just fine. other soak theirs in a water/lemon juice mix and them swing them over their head for a few minutes to get all of the junk out.

5) The general concensus on the board is, these suck. Don't even bother using them. If you don't want a nicotine buzz, get a washed brand of tobbacco.

Hope that helps!

QUOTE (dc denizen @ Feb 19 2007, 11:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Physics and suction my friend.

Causes the smoke to be cooler than ambient temps and colder than just the temp of the water.

Allow it to acclimate to your house. Then try smoking it. Also by cleaning your shisha you mean your hookah??

I dont wash my hoses. And if you have a non washable hose which you probably do if you dont have a mya then the hose will rust on you if you wash it. I suggest you dont wash the hose anymore. But look at buying a Mya Leather Hose, they are around $6-10 and are washable after use.

They attach on the mouth tip. Never used one, dunno how well they work. I wouldnt worry about the nicotine anyway.

I think everyone has pretty much covered your questions, but i'd like to elaborate on the bowl packing procedure...

First off, don't "pack" the bowl per say, more like sprinkle the shisha into the bowl, i know its very moist and it doesn't really sprinkle, but you want the shisha to just fall into place, don't pack it down ,you need it to be light and fluffy. This way it will burn evenly and distribute the heat. Make sure to poke plenty of holes, and if the tobacco is burned onto the foil after your done, it isn't necessarily a bad thing, i have smoked some of the best bowls and afterwards the whole bowl was completely stuck to the foil.

Some people even blow through the stem end of the bowl to loosen up the hookah, i don't personally do that, because the bowl is pretty well packed to begin with for me. It does help though if you were to pack it too tight or if someone pushes down on the foil, which alot of novices do because they think it helps. Try it out, along with packing a loose bowl and let me know how it goes.