Hookah + Skype = Hookah Conference

I was playing around with skype... a free internet chat service that allows voice chat. Well there is a feature called "Skype Live" which allows you to create a chat room (private or public). So what I was thinking is creating a Skype Live chat at a specific time, that would be private (so we don't have random people just talking). I could collect a list of skype usernames and add them into the chat. At the time of the chat people would be able to log in and we could have a nice conversation on hookah. I would also like to have a featured guest that we could have a q/a with. Last time this happened, it was a conference call sponsered by hookahwiki via a telephone conference. It would be nice if someone like Eric (Maker of Tangiers) could be our special guest. If people think this is a good idea, I will email some hookah companies to see if they will sponsor a few prizes. The only requirements to this is that you have skype and to listen, you would need speakers of some sort (if you want to talk, then you would need a microphone). If anyone would like to be considered as a special guest, just PM me. I would also like to know what the Mods think of this. So, what do you guys think?

Hahkoo and I are the masterminds behind the idea... I just don't think he has gotten around to mentioning it on the forum, so I figured I would.

LOL... dude... we've ALREADY had a special conference... prizes were awarded... and Eric was even the special guest. But it was fun and would be fun again

And yeah, we used Skype last time as well... or that's how i called in

QUOTE (DizzyGuy @ Jan 18 2007, 12:07 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
LOL... dude... we've ALREADY had a special conference... prizes were awarded... and Eric was even the special guest. But it was fun and would be fun again

And yeah, we used Skype last time as well... or that's how i called in

Yeah, since that was such a success last time and (I think) everyone said they wanted to do it again, I figured why not propose it. The call was accessible through both telephone and skype. I am not sure what service they used, but it would be cool to also allow people on the phone to talk. The reason I mentioned prizes and Eric is because last time it was so successful, and people said they would do it again, that I figured if we do a similar thing, people will probably do it again :-) I am very open to new ideas for this possible skype chat.

QUOTE (DizzyGuy @ Jan 18 2007, 12:24 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
We need to get something that can record the convo this time though. The stuff that Scott used messed up... but yes, would def be fun

I would be able to record the conversation with audacity or some program. I really wanted a copy of the audio from the last conference because there was a lot of good info on it, too bad it was messed up. If this went through, I can guarantee about 99% a good recording. Great Idea! Thanks.

I can run it if yall want. I know the conference software nunu used for the last one, and i have the tools to do some recording biggrin.gif Pro. audio recording tools, and i can just direct record from the audio out back into my system.

But before we have another conference, we gotta make plans. Such As:
  • Who Is The Guest Going To Be?
  • Who Is Gonna Be The Main Speaker? (does most talking and asks preset questions)
  • We Going To Use HFC To Allow Users To Chat During the Conference? (and also ask to ask questions)
  • Anyone Going To Put Up Prizes To be Had?
  • How About Making A Site For These And Doing It Bi-Monthly?

Oh and the basic service is free, but for $5 a month we can upgrade to premium, means more people on the call and more features, including free recording services (which is what nunu used, so ill use that and record it on my comp). Ill pay for the first month of it, and if yall help me with the other months, i think we can make a real awesome bi, or even monthly Hookah Conference.

QUOTE (hmpitags2006 @ Jan 18 2007, 09:11 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
we should probably keep it to one topic just so it isn't so random

The way we had the last one, was the conference was all about the special guest. The last one was about tangiers, and the whole conference was about the man, his tobacco, his lounge, and any other random retarded question we could come up with.

We also chatted it up on the HookahForumChat.com chatroom, and it also served as a base for finding people who wanted to ask questions to Eric.

Extend invitations to other vendors/manufacturers. Eventually, Eric might get tired of us asking him to make Peach Tea, Lime Tea, and whatever other weird flavors we asked him to make via chat.

Eric, even if you aren't the "featured vendor," you should still show up for the party!

I've offered up my teamspeak server for regualr use a few times. I only use it when we play urban terror, which is once a week at the most. You guys are welcome to use it to voice chat anytime....

Mushrat

Yea the conference room will be open 24/7, we could have 2 if we wanted, one for special conferences, with special guests, and one just to chat chit on, would allow those at work to call in and chat chit with the forum members tongue.gif

QUOTE (steve @ Jan 18 2007, 09:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hey Joe I would support this with a few free cases of my al waha sounds like a cool idea let me know what you want !

You rock for that one man. Maybe we could have you talk for about 5-10 mins about how you came in to such a large load of tobacco, pricing and how you can order some from you. I guess we would just have the winner pay for shipping (which is a great deal).

I am just going to throw this idea out there, if you guys don't like it then tell me, but what about having a company possibly sponsor our bi/monthly chats. This would cut down on EL's bandwidth/hosting charges. We could do something special in recognition of that company sponsoring that chat(s) sessions. We could also have a group of members that would give money to EL regularly (I would) and then also provide the ability to donate, in case anyone else wants to get in the mood of giving. I will send out some emails to various hookah companies, seeing what they think about it since it seems like a lot of people like the idea.

How about this, People can through out days of the week that they are usually avaiable on, and I will annonunce the first chat soon after. I have started to write to the different hookah supply companies. Right now I just need your suggestions for dates, and also any other ideas.