The Origional Homemade Diffuser

Scarecrow

Ok, on my standard Eygptian stem, this worked great. BUT... the two new stems I got have balls welded to the bottom of the stems! I can't get a tight fit w/ the widget or a ping-pong ball.

Any ideas? I saw the diffuser from Hookah-shisha.com, but I don't want to spend $20 on two of them plus shipping!

• 1 month later...
This seems like the most obvious household item to use for a diffuser... a tea ball/tea infuser.

They already have holes in them and are made of stainless steel. It comes apart into 2 pieces so you can make a hole in one end for the stem and crimp it on or attach it somehow. Since I have 2 of them i'll give it a try tonight or tomorrow and let everyone know how it works out. They're really inexpensive anyways so it is no big deal if the experiment fails.

[attachment=307:tea_ball_001.jpg]

well, good news and bad news... i was able to drill a 1/2' hole in one end and use tin snips to enlarge the hole and make 4 flaps. It fit wonderfully on the end of me stem, but it was just barely too big to fit through the neck on the hookah's vase because of the way it tapers as it goes down. sad.gif it seems like it would work just fine though.

[attachment=308:DSC00828.JPG][attachment=309:DSC00829.JPG][attachment=310:DSC008
31.JPG] Edited by OrangeLazarus

QUOTE (OrangeLazarus @ May 10 2007, 07:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
well, good news and bad news... i was able to drill a 1/2' hole in one end and use tin snips to enlarge the hole and make 4 flaps. It fit wonderfully on the end of me stem, but it was just barely too big to fit through the neck on the hookah's vase because of the way it tapers as it goes down. sad.gif it seems like it would work just fine though.

[attachment=308:DSC00828.JPG][attachment=309:DSC00829.JPG][attachment=310:DSC008
31.JPG]

Where did you get your stem at? I have the same one 4 hose, but mine is just a piece of crap. Does yours rattle like metal pieces are inside stem?

I am also making a diffuser out of copper pipe, I will post it on here when I finish it.

QUOTE (whatsacorbin @ May 10 2007, 10:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Where did you get your stem at? I have the same one 4 hose, but mine is just a piece of crap. Does yours rattle like metal pieces are inside stem?

I am also making a diffuser out of copper pipe, I will post it on here when I finish it.

It does sound like there are very small pieces of metal rattling around inside if I shake it, but it smokes well. I'm pretty sure it's a Sahara Smoke Nirvana.

• 5 months later...
Something that works well but is only temporary is aluminum foil. Take a 3-5 inch strip the entire length of the roll and roll it arround your finger or a pencil. close one end and fold it over slightly and tape the other end onto your pipe. poke as many holes as possible in the foil (all the way through) with a small needle or saftey pin.
enjoy