The Origional Homemade Diffuser

Scarecrow

I used the widget from the insde of a guiness beer can and I melted the holes into the entire bottom section of the widget. After all that I made a hole to attach to the stem with a drill that was slightly smaller and heated the tube and pushed it into the hole for an air tight fit. I havent noticed a more difficult draw at all. But the benefits are the water isnt disturbed eneugh to rise high in the hookah like normal and less rumbling sound against the floor/table.

Here are some pictures:

I have this on all of my hookahs that I really smoke.

Using the needle that comes with the Mya saray pipes on the set of tongs. All you need is a candle really but if you want to speed up the process I recommend using a torch.

For those looking for the proper guiness to get a widget, look for the can and make sure it mentions there special widget. Kilkenny also uses the same widget.

what makes this the original one?(correctly spelled here) people have been posting how to make diffusers for years, most of them more effective than the one you put up.
id rather have a diffuser that had a more vertical hole pattern allowing smoke to bubble our from the sides at different heights.

i experimented with diffusers early last year and found no discernible difference in smoke quality, though they definately decrease the noise of bubbling. Since i like the sound of the bubbling and since the smoke is exactly the same, no diffuser for me.

QUOTE (SanguineSolitude @ Jan 4 2007, 09:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
what makes this the original one?(correctly spelled here) people have been posting how to make diffusers for years...

This is the original widget model I seen people posting about. I dint realize there where 12 year old babies on this forum who need everything spelt out for them. Maybe next time I'll try and put a paragraph so spelling nazi's like yourself can have a blast.

most of them more effective than the one you put up.

Well Mr. Professor, since you say all they do is reduce bubbling how in the hell do you know if they are more effective? Has all your years of research in noise created by bubbles in water brought you the millions you needed? I never claimed to be the most effective anything, but for something that can be done for free its pretty damn good. Edited by Scarecrow

• 4 weeks later...
anyone been to a wedding lately? I did and a few mins ago i saw that little thing of bubbles sitting on my counter and went HEY! thats perfect!
Really thin plastic, opening is barely bigger than my stem. poked a buncha hole with a push pin and used a hose gasket! perfect diffuser. works much better than the 10 rnd paintball tube i had before. too big to fit inside my QT though

• 2 weeks later...
Or just go to your handy-dandy ice-maker in the refrigerator and put a bunch of ice cubes in your base, it diffuses the bubbling, makes a cool clinking noise when the ice hits itself and the stem, plus it makes the smoke more dense, and easier to hit!

Or use the widget ball thing.

Many principles of bongs can be applied to Hookahs. Diffusers increase the surface area of the smoke as it touches the water (more bubbles = more smoke touching water). This helps filter the smoke as more of it is touching the surface of the water.

As for me, I'll never smoke WITHOUT one again (unless I have to wink.gif), as I have found that the smoke never becomes so harsh it chokes, just a slight burn. One problem I have encountered, tho, is tobacco will tend to get stuck in the diffuser, making it feel like the bowl is packed to tight; but this is a easy fix.

I used a piece of tube an a cap to make my diffuser, but I like this one! Especially where you got the ball, I'll have to pick up a 6-pack, for science!

I wish i had some guiness =[