The Triple H (hand-held Hookah)

tingjunkie

as long as the copper is not heated(or powered), You'll be fine. Look at a bottle of AtoZ (that mulitvitamin, Celcieum? is it called? whatev) and you'll find copper. So using a copper tube is like talking your vitamins!

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (VDDZ @ Mar 12 2007, 01:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
as long as the copper is not heated(or powered), You'll be fine. Look at a bottle of AtoZ (that mulitvitamin, Celcieum? is it called? whatev) and you'll find copper. So using a copper tube is like talking your vitamins!

do you really believe that?

QUOTE (teox @ Mar 11 2007, 09:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
maybe plastic hoses and clear masking tape? its finals week right now but ill make it afterwards. thanks alot for the idea this is really cool

Hmmm. The adhesive on the tape may melt and give off some raunchy fumes. May not be any healthier in the end. I guess we'll never know what's ok for us and what's not. sad.gif

QUOTE (teox @ Mar 12 2007, 01:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (VDDZ @ Mar 12 2007, 01:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
as long as the copper is not heated(or powered), You'll be fine. Look at a bottle of AtoZ (that multivitamin, Celcieum? is it called? whatev) and you'll find copper. So using a copper tube is like talking your vitamins!

do you really believe that?

It was a joke, but what do you think of the whole inhaling copper thing? Copper-63 is stable, hopefully that's what us with copper downstems are using. Tolerable doses can be as high as 10 mg a day, I doubt anyone is inhaling that much copper out of a clean tube, especially one that's not in direct contact with heat.

• 2 weeks later...
Update on my experimentations with the HHHTV (hand held hookah, turtle variety).

1. Sobe bottles are not accurate replacements for Arizona Tea bottles
2. Tea Balls are a bitch to find, therefore i am engineering my own from
a couple strainer thingies I yanked from my mom's kitchen.
3. Sumac, if you can get it, use it. As a wood, it's hard as nobody's business
and it's got this odd little habit of rotting from the inside out as it grows. I
raided the sumac growing in my backyard, and surprisingly enough, after it's
dead, it doesn't retain water, so you don't have to worry about your stem
getting waterlogged. I use heat shrink wrap (like for use on electrical wires) to seal.
4. the mouth tube thingy... I'm thinking of tearing apart a PoS pipe I bought
on Ebay (never buy anything from Garett Jackson Art username sirwilliamw)
and using it's ash draw stem, a little unwieldy, but better than pipe.

Pictures when I get a working model.

QUOTE (tingjunkie @ Dec 19 2006, 07:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Greetings hookah forum people! My name is Mike, and I just joined this forum. It looks like an awesome community with a great deal of good info. I'm relatively new to smoking Hookah (1 year +/-), so I am looking forward to learning from the seasoned veterans out there.

In the meantime, I wanted to share a design I came up with for a really nice hand-held hookah. I think I just got lucky with this one... It's my first attempt, but it smokes SOOOO nice. biggrin.gif

Here's what you'll need...

1) Rubber Stopper- to fit ice tea bottle (Hardware Store)
2) Small Stainless Funnel (Kitchen Store)
3) Stainless Tea Ball w/Mesh Top & Stainless Bottom (Kitchen Store)
4) Aluminum Tube aprox 9" - should fit close inside bottom of funnel (Hobby Store)
5) Copper Tube aprox 12" (Hobby Store)
6) JB Weld ™ Epoxy (Hardware Store)
8) Arizona ™ Ice Tea Bottle
9) Drill or Dremmel Tool

Instructions

- Drill a hole through the stopper to fit the aluminum tube, one for the copper tube, and a third for a vent hole (to blow stale smoke out).
- Insert the tubes as shown in the pictures. The aluminum tube should stick out above the stopper by about 1/2 inch. Bend the copper tube carefully into a mouthpiece (hose) so it won't flatten or crimp.
- Epoxy the funnel to the top of the aluminum tube. Create a good seal. Allow to dry completely. This will be the outside of the shisha bowl.
- Epoxy the rim of the tea ball to the rim of the funnel. Create a good seal. Make sure to avoid getting epoxy on the hinge. (You may need to file down the rim of the funnel a little to accommodate the hinge of the tea ball. I did.) Allow to dry completely. This is now the inside of the shisha bowl.
- That's all there is to it. You're done! Maybe just paint/decorate the bottle. cool.gif

Good Things to Know About This Hookah
- Super portable.
- Super easy to clean. Does not retain smells at all.
- The mesh tea ball cover keeps the coal from falling out- even when walking around or sharing with drunk friends! (I just use a small paperclip to keep it locked down.) Easy to just blow old ashes out the side too!
- The epoxy is rated to be resistant to 500 degrees F (this is a scientific fact), so no worries about fumes/chemicals (this is only my opinion and not scientific fact. I am not a doctor, and I make no claims to any health effects caused by using epoxy for this project.).
- Very durable.
- Cheap to make- less than $15
- Looks kinda nice.
- Smokes really, really, really, surprizingly well. BIG white fluffy clouds. Perfect size bowl. (I think.)
- OH... just remember to cover the third hole in the stopper with your finger when you draw. To get rid of stale smoke, remove finger from vent hole, and just blow into the pipe (hose) gently. Too hard, and the water will go back up and wet the shisha.

ENJOY! MacGyver would be proud, hmm?

very awesome i saw your video on youtube and joined this forum because of it. i am proly going to go buy the stuff today and try to make my own. it will go good with my other real hooka. i was just wondering if the third hole in the stopper is neccesary? and about how long did it take to make? and also do you think if you used the same aluminum tubing for the "hose" instead of the copper would it still work? thanks
-tommy

In response to the dude that posted all the crap about copper saying that it's poisonous.

I really dont think anyone needs to be concerned with him sucking on the end of the copper tube. If you are filing down copper and ingesting it, yeah, that's a problem, but I highly doubt that a copper tube is going to kill anyone.

QUOTE (racer_dude18 @ Mar 21 2007, 04:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
very awesome i saw your video on youtube and joined this forum because of it. i am proly going to go buy the stuff today and try to make my own. it will go good with my other real hooka. i was just wondering if the third hole in the stopper is neccesary? and about how long did it take to make? and also do you think if you used the same aluminum tubing for the "hose" instead of the copper would it still work? thanks
-tommy

Thanks. Yes, for purging stale smoke. 2 hrs (not counting epoxy drying time). Absolutely. You're Welcome! wink.gif

i agree with the turtl man up there.

ting junkie, where did you find the tea ball the stainless funnel? do you know of any major chain kitchen stores or anywhere i would be able to find it for sure?

im using ace for hardware and tall mouse for hobby. Edited by teox

QUOTE (teox @ Mar 21 2007, 11:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
ting junkie, where did you find the tea ball the stainless funnel? do you know of any major chain kitchen stores or anywhere i would be able to find it for sure?

Hmmm. I found mine in a kitchen store in an outlet mall in Santa Fe, NM. I don't think it was a national chain. I know I have seen the same identical funnel at several kiktchen stores. Finding a tea ball which is 1/2 mesh and 1/2 steel which will fit in the funnel is probably the real trick. I bet you will have more luck in kitchen-specific gadget stores than in national chains like Bed Bath & Beyond. Good luck though. Edited by tingjunkie

QUOTE (teox @ Mar 27 2007, 05:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
could it be possible to drill through the rubber clean so that it would create an airtight seal with the stem?

Anything's possible...I just don't know how to do it. The holes will not be clean, but if if you make them a tiny bit smaller than the width of the pipe, then you can just force the pipe through and it will be airtight.

hey man i finished making it. thanks to your concept. it seems to smoke as well as yours does. ill post pics up in a bit.

there is no epoxy or copper. i used a vinyl clear tube instead of the copper. everything else is pretty airtight so no need for epoxy. thanks again for the idea its awesome

QUOTE (teox @ Mar 29 2007, 10:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
hey man i finished making it. thanks to your concept. it seems to smoke as well as yours does. ill post pics up in a bit.

there is no epoxy or copper. i used a vinyl clear tube instead of the copper. everything else is pretty airtight so no need for epoxy. thanks again for the idea its awesome

Sweet! I'm very excited to see the pics. Glad it worked out in the end. I'm assuming you used the all-mesh tea ball? I'll be interested to hear how it holds up to multiple sessions.

Enjoy walking around ANYWHERE with it. That's the best part!

• 3 weeks later...
Well done! Looks like she produces the industrial smoke stack, white-out clouds like mine!

What kind of tube did you use for the downstem, and how did you attach the funnel to it? How does the all-mesh tea ball clean up after use?

i couldnt find a tube like yours, so i looked around home depot for one. i found a tube that is used for gardens i believe. its green and steel and extends. i took the part of the extension that had the smallest diameter and told them to cut it for me and they allowed it. the funnel is simply taped on lol. it works. the all mesh tea ball cleans well but its horrificly stained haha Edited by teox

BADASS! read it before but just now gettin around to post because I think I wanna make one...

A few Q's...
Whats a tea ball?

and do you put foil like a normal hookah to seperate shisha from coal?

i had never used a tea ball before this either, but they really are at alot of kitchen stores. i got mine from linen's n things, just ask for it.

and yeah you need to use foil. notice how i have a thumbtack stuck into my rubber stopper for convenience wink.gif

tingjunkie the only reason im using all mesh is because i was unable to find one like yours. i think mine lets the juice drip down too easily. Edited by teox

A tea ball is a metal device used to brew loose tea leaves. Basically, it's made from two mesh (or 1/2 mesh, 1/2 metal strainer) halves which are connected by a metal hinge. You put the tea inside, close and lock the ball, and drop it in a cup'o'hotwater.

To put it more simply, the thing on top of our hookahs that holds the shisha and coal.

• 2 weeks later...
hey ting, i was wondering what kind of coals you usually use for this?

i use japanese coals with my hookahs but i dont think they bring enough heat. i need something that fits in the tea ball and doesnt alter the taste

QUOTE (teox @ Apr 30 2007, 06:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
hey ting, i was wondering what kind of coals you usually use for this?

i use japanese coals with my hookahs but i dont think they bring enough heat. i need something that fits in the tea ball and doesnt alter the taste

I use coconut fingers. Don't know the brand name cause it's all in Arabic. Fumari.com used to sell them though. They work great. I've been curious to see how one of the smaller Three Kings would work, and if it would fit. I try to avoid quick-lights at all costs, but they would be ideal for mobile operations. wink.gif