Hookah On A Cruise

Hey guys, I've been smoking hookah for about a year now, and its been fun... over this years Christmas break from school, me and a couple friends are flying to Miami and going on a cruise of the Caribbean for a week. Me and my friends are pretty avid hookah smokers (not cigarettes or weed mind you) and we want to bring a hookah down for the trip. We have a hard case for one of our hookahs, but we are wondering about airline restrictions. We plan on bringing a few 250g tubs of shisha to get some variety, but i'm concerned that this idea may get denied in the airport...
also the charcoals are what i'm most worried about... how am i going to sneak them thru security passes? (either in my checked or carry-on baggage?)

also we dont have time between getting off the flight and getting on the cruise, so visiting a local miami hookah shop is out of the question...

Thanks so much for your help. biggrin.gif

-Mitch

Lots of my friends brought hookahs from Israel through security. That being said we were warned to only bring in sealed tobacco and unused hookahs because customs *could* take them if they were used or the tobacco was loose. Tons of people ignored the advice and no ones hookahs were taken. The cruise might have other restrictions.

yeah but what about the charcoal? thats my main concern since i know the TSA confiscates any lighters they find, as well as other flammable items, and charcoals are definately a flammable material.

EDIT: its not an international flight, so i dont have to worry about customs. Chicago to Miami. Edited by uwcdrummer

DO NOT BRING QUICKLIGHTS. they contain gunpowder and you damn well dont want a bag full of gunpowder going through an airport. you probably would be ok, but seeing as its expressly forbidden to bring on the plains, yeah dont bother.

as for the hookah just pack it and the shisha in your checked luggage. as long as its legal where you are (and it all is assuming you havent smoked anything else out of it ever) and where youre going, then theres nothing to worry about. the cruise ship might have a problem with it however since they generally are super strict when it comes to flames on ships. fire and boats are about the worst combination possible. check before you go.

QUOTE (DizzyGuy @ Dec 18 2006, 09:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
My advise... take it over with the cruise line and make sure it's cool to have a hookah on board smoking

It's pretty small (Mya QT) which is like 14 inches tall, i'm not worried about getting caught on the cruise, because people are allowed to smoke cigarettes and cigars in their rooms... so i'll just risk it, if i can ever get it there

Are there machines in the airport that would detect charcoal? Edited by uwcdrummer

QUOTE (uwcdrummer @ Dec 19 2006, 04:30 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Are there machines in the airport that would detect charcoal?

yes. they're called dogs. im sure theres something in charcoal that would be similar to gunpowder, esp considering quick lites have gunpowder in them. that might not be too good considering the dogs are trained to sniff stuff like that out.

Strange though... I've brought lots of coals through customs at Ben Gurion... and onto the flights! And never been knobbled (yet)

However someone made a damn good point Earlier about them containing salpeter(gunpowder) so maybe on 2nd thoughts
you might want to purchase some locally.

Good Luck either way!

JD

Just call the cruise line... and ask them, they dont know that you are you... if they say no, and you do bring it the worst that could happen is they make you get rid of everything.... or leave it at the port...

Just go buy a portable plug in stove...

OH AN WIND COVER!!! hahah Cruise ships to rock back and forth.. you dont want your coals going every where....

there not gonna take yyour qicklights as long as you check them.. i do it all the time

although my friend left one on his carry on and the airport security wasnt to happy about that

also as far as tobacco on the airplane, i jus brought back 2 kilos wrapped up in a ziplock a couple times.. it looked sketchy but no ?s were asked

QUOTE (Erica @ Dec 19 2006, 11:11 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Just call the cruise line... and ask them, they dont know that you are you... if they say no, and you do bring it the worst that could happen is they make you get rid of everything.... or leave it at the port...

Just go buy a portable plug in stove...

OH AN WIND COVER!!! hahah Cruise ships to rock back and forth.. you dont want your coals going every where....

what would a portable plug in stove do? (unless you're talking about original charcoals, then i get your point.)

and i have the "Ultimate combo bowl"... works like a charm, me and my friends used to have people over alot when we'd smoke it, and it seemed like every other time, the hookah would get knocked over, then its a mad dash to pick up the charcoals on the ground before they burn holes the carpet... not very relaxing, so we bought 2 "Ultimate combo bowls" and we never have to worry about burned capet again biggrin.gif

I almost brought a shit ton of illegal fireworks on the plane with me had I forgotten that they were in my backpack. Luckily I remembered right before I hit the security checkpoint...needless to say there was still a bottle rocket in my luggage which I didn't get penalized for. I was really really lucky. I think I could have been in serious poop.

As for the coal situation, checked bags aren't usually checked unless the bag looks suspicious. I think you'd be alright bringing them with you, but if you're scared, you should find a headshop when you land.

• 10 months later...
I went to eygpt last week and i already had a hookah pipes at my house so i bought some stuff there though i bought about 2 pounds of tobacco and 10 rolls of quik light charcoals had no problem bring it back to moscow, even through customs i dont think most people will even recognize it besides the pipe.