Tangiers Phunnel Bowls All Sizes

EvansLight

Just got the Large Phunnel bowl in today from hookahcompany.

This is my first phunnel, previously I've been using either the default mya bowl (kinda crappy) or a huge handmade bowl I bought locally.

I bought this bowl for parties, as I sometimes whip it out with 20+ people smoking. When people are drunk, they tend to take massive pulls, so my Mya bowl couldn't handle it for longer than 30 minutes or so.

I was anxious to give it a go, so I set it up in my garage with around 15g of starbuzz melon (all my tangiers is at a buddies house sad.gif )

As you can see in the pictures below, 15g is NOTHING for this bowl. I'm not expert on measurement, but I imagine I could fit 75-100g in.

I poked a row of small holes on the edge, and one row in the middle, as well as a pinhole in the very center.

THIS BOWL TAKES A LOT OF HEAT TO START!

I started with only one quarter piece of Exotica coals, but after 10 minutes of puffing, even with the windcover on, it was pulling no smoke.

I put on another piece, this time a bigger piece of exotica.

I got smoke within 3 minutes.

When I do pack it for a party, i'll probably use 2-3 half-sticks of Exoticas, as this bowl can take a lot of heat.

I was in a bit of a hurry, so I only smoked for about 90 minutes. I had full smoke until the coals started giving way.

Below you will see the condition of the shisha left behind; I had rotated the coals every 10 minutes so nearly the whole thing had been cooked, but there was a lot of life left in the bowl. I had solid flavor the entire time. I estimate the bowl would have lasted another 45 minutes, minimum.

The airflow was GREAT! Several times I had to check to make sure the purge valve wasn't stuck open, it was so easy to pull!

All in all, I reccomend this bowl to anyone who is looking for an upgrade! It's not expensive at all, and it doesn't have to be only a party bowl: you can safely pack small amounts. The only downside is that you have to use more heat than you might be used to with a smaller bowl.

I can't wait to take this baby to a party! Also, to smoke some Tangiers in it!

Enjoy some dorky pictures, sorry they are shitty, I was in a hurry!

(Click on photos for bigger versions)

Update: I took this bowl to a party this weekend.

We had 10 people smoking out of my 4 hose Mya Vortex.

I packed around 50g of SB Peach, and sprinkled some rose and mint in as well.

The bowl lasted 3 hours, and there was more left in the bowl, but everyone was done by then. I used 6 quarter Exotica coals, chain lit.

The bowl requires less heat when filled larger. At one point I only had one coal going, and it was barely enough to keep the bowl going, even with a windcover.

After smoking from a regular clay bowl, I decided to buy a small phunnel. Don't be fooled, the small phunnel is still pretty big. I went away for the weekend with 16 friends, and the bowl was amazing. The first night i packed AF watermelon in it and 6 of us smoke from my 2 hose for a good 2 1/2 hours. Is it aside and we smoke the next day for another 2. Overall I will give it a 10/10 I have only used it 2 times but it was really good.

• 2 weeks later...
Received my beautiful black small Phunnel from h-s today.

As a ceramics artist I can tell that a lot of fine craftsmanship was involved with this bowl. The quality of clay used, the gazing, it's all fantastic. 10/10 for craftsmanship.

I'm smoking some Starbuzz Blue Mist out of it as we speak. It holds just a tiny bit more tobacco than the standard Mya bowl that comes with their hookahs. Took a lot less time to get going than any of the traditional bowls I've had.

Smoke is nice and thick (big "fuck-off" clouds as they say) and the flavor is so vibrant. Not harsh at all.

10/10 in my book. I'll be picking one or two more as well as a large and medium Phunnel soon!

• 3 months later...
i got my medium yesterday.. been smoking with it twice now. First thing i noticed about it was the size and weight. Man this thing is huge, and heavy as well (for a bowl, at least). The ceramic was extremely thick, which helps retain heat much better (and i got it in jet black color, which helps with the heat as well, i think).

PROS

Easy to pack! I mean come on, no more sprinkling and watching out for the airflow and whatnot.
Keeps your stem clean as hell. The only parts of the hookah that I need to clean after each session is the ash tray, base and the bowl itself.
Rarely get any harsh smoke while using the bowl.
Makes the flavor last longer.
Banishes any worries about the airflow from the bowl.
Heat management with this bowl is easy.
It looks sexxay.
Great for parties!

CONS

Size of this thing is too big. Wastes a lot of tobacco if you're only looking for an hour session of smoke. Went through 8 pieces of coals and the tobacco was still not used up.
Okay, I've recently found out that you can under pack the tobacco with this bowl, which is AWESOME! So no cons!

Overall, I give this bowl a perfect 10 out of 10. I don't think I will be able to go back to a normal bowl now. It is really worth the money to upgrade to a phunnel bowl.

Here's a pic of it in action.
Edited by modisess

Got a Seaweed green one to match my MYA QT

let me tell you that you can smoke anything out of this thing and it will be amazing

flavor the entire time

its funny looking on the Qt because its as tall as the base but i like over the top type things.

totally worth the 15 bucks

• 2 months later...
Just received my phunnel and I am impressed to say the least. People here are not exaggerating. I bought mine expecting it to be an improvement but not a whole new experience. The smoke is significantly longer lasting, heat management is extremely simple, more flavor, and it doesn't make near as much of a mess of the hookah.

This is definately a must have accesory for anyone that wants a better smoking session.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
OK so first run with the mini phunnel with Tangiers tropical punch......sucked dick. It was terribly harsh and didn't have any flavor....JUST KIDDING! actually this was THE greatest tangiers session i've had. The smoke was the smoothest and coolest i've ever experienced with tangiers, it surpsised me. The flavor was great and lasted a perfect hour. 10/10 Edited by MrBungle

• 2 weeks later...
So i just had one of the greatest smoke sessions ever with my new medium phunnel bowl, although at first the center kept being sucked in whenever one of us took a hit. I poked a hole in the center of it and it made the pull easier, but then there was no smoke. So I then put 3 outer circles of holes and used rubber bands to keep the foil from being sucked in and then it became my best session ever.

dont you love trial and error with your friends

• 3 weeks later...
A+ in my book I love mine I can get full flavor for 3+ hours off the same bowl. incredible clouds I do not use a mod because I dont own one so what i do to keep the foil up is if your not using a mod take a strip of foil and roll it as tight as you can then bend it so it forms a triangle then stick the top of the triangle (where the two ends meet) into the hole of the phunnel so you have a raised flat strip on the top of the hole this will hold your foil up.

• 4 weeks later...
QUOTE (Place_Name_Here @ May 5 2008, 06:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
i realy injoy my small phunnel from HC but i have some questions concerning the copyright to the actual shape. I was wondering if it was legal to make a simmilar shaped bowl as long as its not sold as a "tangiers phunnel bowl. Im an artist and was wanting to make some unique bowls to sell this summer for alittle extra money for art supplies and have been working on prototypes.

You need to look into hiring a patent lawyer if you REALLY want to avoid copyright/patent infringement.
There are also some online sites that you can use to research, but that's not really reliable IMO.

• 10 months later...
[color="#FF0000"][size="3"][b]Tangiers Mini Phunnel[/b][/size][/color]

[b]Height:[/b] 4-1/4”
[b]Bowl Diameter:[/b] 2-5/8”
[b]Bowl Depth: [/b]5/16”
[b]Bowl Capacity: [/b] 20-30g

[b]Construction:[/b] Stoneware
[b]Appearance: [/b]Very Nice
[b]Cleanability:[/b] Easy to Clean

[b]Price:[/b] $15.00
[b]
Purchased From:[/b] Original Tangiers Mini Phunnel Group Buy

[b]Overall: [/b]8/10 This is pure Tangiers quality. The plus side is you use less shisha, the con is it doesn’t smoke as well as the other Tangiers Bowls. It’s a good shisha saver bowl for Phunnel lovers, but it’s not great for Tangiers.

[img]http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm126/tunes4x/Hookah%20Bowls/TangiersMiniEmpty.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm126/tunes4x/Hookah%20Bowls/TangiersMiniFull.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm126/tunes4x/Hookah%20Bowls/TangiersMiniSetup.jpg[/img]

[color="#FF0000"][size="3"][b]Tangiers Small Phunnel[/b][/size][/color]

[b]Height:[/b] 4-3/4”
[b]Bowl Diameter: [/b] 2-7/16”
[b]Bowl Depth: [/b]3/4”
[b]Bowl Capacity: [/b] 30-40g

[b]Appearance: [/b] Very Nice

[b]Price:[/b] $14.95
[b]
Purchased From: [/b]HookahCompany.com

[b]Overall: [/b]10/10 This is the standard of Tangiers Phunnels. Perfect in size, perfect in smoke. This bowl will smoke any shisha for several hours. This is the bowl I use the most for Tangiers and any other shisha. Hands down the Gold Line Hookah Bowl.

[img]http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm126/tunes4x/Hookah%20Bowls/TangiersSmallEmpty.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm126/tunes4x/Hookah%20Bowls/TangiersSmallFull.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm126/tunes4x/Hookah%20Bowls/TangiersSmallSetup.jpg[/img]

[color="#FF0000"][size="3"][b]Tangiers Medium Phunnel[/b][/size][/color]

[b]Height: [/b] 4-1/2”
[b]Bowl Diameter: [/b] 2-5/8”
[b]Bowl Depth:[/b] 3/4”
[b]Bowl Capacity: [/b] 60-70g

[b]Cleanability: [/b]Easy to Clean
[b]
Price: [/b]$14.95
[b]
Purchased From:[/b] HookahCompany.com

[b]Overall: [/b]10/10 This is a great bowl smokes wonderful. Man I can smoke this for hours. This is my Friday Night Bowl. Load this up some Tangiers and smoke for hours. I can smoke 2-3 easy on non Tangiers Tobacco; 4-5 hours with Tangiers.

[img]http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm126/tunes4x/Hookah%20Bowls/TangiersMediumEmpty.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm126/tunes4x/Hookah%20Bowls/TangiersMediumFull.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm126/tunes4x/Hookah%20Bowls/TangiersMediumSetup.jpg[/img]

[color="#FF0000"][size="3"][b]Tangiers Large Phunnel[/b][/size][/color]

[b]Height:[/b] 4-1/4”
[b]Bowl Diameter:[/b] 3”
[b]Bowl Depth:[/b] 7/16”
[b]Bowl Capacity: [/b] 70-100g

[b]Price:[/b] $14.95
[b]
Purchased From:[/b] HookahCompany.com

[b]Overall:[/b] 10/10 This is the big mother phunnel bowl. My Weekend Bowl. This smokes the smoothest and longest of any phunnel. The reason this is my weekend bowl. Is I can set it up smoke a few hours Friday, Saturday and Sunday and finally cache the bowl.

[img]http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm126/tunes4x/Hookah%20Bowls/TangiersLargeEmpty.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm126/tunes4x/Hookah%20Bowls/TangiersLargeFull.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm126/tunes4x/Hookah%20Bowls/TangiersLargeSetup.jpg[/img]

• 10 months later...
[size="3"][color="#ff0000"][b]Tangiers Mini Phunnel (Prototype) [/b][/color][/size]

[b]Height:[/b] 5”
[b]Bowl Diameter:[/b] 2-3/16”
[b]Bowl Depth:[/b] 11/16”
[b]Bowl Capacity:[/b] 25-30g

[b]Appearance: [/b]Nice

[b]Price:[/b] Undisclosed

[b]Purchased From:[/b] Trade from Mitchard

[b]Overall: [/b]9/10 Well I finally got my hands on the prototype. There is a small defect in the center hole little low on one side Doesn’t affect the smoke. The hole at the bottom of the bowl is a little small. Wasn’t paying attention and it popped off my KM, but it fits perfect on my Mya hookahs. I won’t smoke it much, but I really wanted it as a collector piece.

[img]http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm126/tunes4x/Hookah%20Bowls/MiniProtoEmpty.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm126/tunes4x/Hookah%20Bowls/MiniProtoFull.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm126/tunes4x/Hookah%20Bowls/MiniProtoSetup.jpg[/img]

• 7 months later...
Small tangiers phunnel: blue (matches the qt!)
over all i think this is an awesome bowl, havent smoked out of it too much, but will deffinatly be my regular bowl from here on out. Very easy to clean both inside and out, doesnt actually hold NEAR as much tobacco as i thought. In my other bowl a 50g pack would almost be gone, but with the phunnel theres enough to get 2-3 bowls outta a 50g pack. The phunnel is also made out of some pretty nice material, looks pourous(sp?) kinda odd, but at the same time its thick and heavy. still wouldnt want to drop this thing from any hights or anything but the feeling that if it poped off the hookah (due to improper grommet size) wouldnt result in a break.

Over all i love this bowl, thinking of investing in a med. phunnel for parties lol. [size=5]10/10![/size]

• 11 months later...
Tangiers #8 Pico Bowl

Height: 4"
Bowl Diameter: 2-3/16"
Bowl Depth: roughly 9/16"
Bowl Capacity: not much...i would guess somewerw between 10 and 15 grams, but as i said, just a guess

Construction: Stoneware
Appearance: really nice, like it a lot
Cleanability: very easy to clean

Price: $25

Purchased From: Ultiate Hookah

Overall:10/10 Well...i have a lot to say, and since i havent come across any other reviews for this bowl that arent video reviews, i hope that at least someoe finds this helpful, becuase i know it was a bit daunting for me to get this with only knowing a little bit abouthw it would smoke. Well...here i go: one thing i was worried about with this bowl was that it wouldnt fit the grommet that i usually use with tangiers bowls, however it does fit, but it seems to be a little bit snug and i hope that it doesnt pop off. The bowl holds about 1/3 of what i can fit into my small Tangiers phunnel. the first thing i noticed while smoking from this bowl is that the draw is much more restrictive than my small phunnel, but after getting used to it i found it quite enjoyable.. My first time smoking from this bowl i decided to go with my old stand by flavor of nak double apple. I also used 1 ccn cut in half. the bowl did seem to be a little bit hot at first, but mellowed out, first round of coals lasted about 30-45 minutes. the entire bowl lasted 2 rounds of coals, the second round was slightly harsh at the start with this amount of heat but after a few minute the clouds really picked up and the flavor leveled back out.i was able to streth 2 hours using this amount of heat, but the clouds did get pretty small by the end. My second go with the bowl was also using Nak Da, but for coals i used ccns cut into fourths.i used four 1/4 pieces on the bowl evenly spaced out. it took 5-10 pulls to reeally get started, but this time around the smoke wasnt as hot at the beginning as it was using a ccn cut in half.Using this coal placement, the smoke was not as thick as with the other coal placement.the first round of coals lasted about 30 minutes with this set up on the bowl.the second round using the 4/4 coal placement started out a little harsh as well, but not as bad at the 2 half method i used earlier. after a wile the flavor mellowed out, the clouds on the second round using this method were great, i was scepticle of how well it would work as the clouds on round one were lacking, i feel it could go for a third round, but for review purposes i only used 2 rounds of coals each bowl.I got an hour and a half out of the bowl using the 4/4 heat management method.Next I tried Tangiers Noir Dark Plum,as some of you know, i was having a lot of issues with this flavor in a small phunnel. using the ccn cut in half method, it started up after 2 pulls, really nice clouds, great flavor too. the first round of coals lasted about 40 minutes, at the start of the second round the bowl was once again slightly harsh, but not the way this flavor acted smoking from a small phunnel. The bowl lasted about an hour and a half. Finally I tried Tangiers Dark Plum Noir using the 4/4 coal method. The first round started off with massive clouds after a few pulls, and the flavor was amazing.the heat did seem to be abit much at the half hour mark of this round of coals.the first round lasted almost an hour, the secnd round of coalss started up without any harshness at all. the second round lasted about 45 minutes, bringing the overall bowl to an hour and a half, i do feel that i could have gone for a thirdroudn using this method as well, so i may try that later on. The clouds and flavor were greatt the entire second round up until the very end where the clouds got pretty weak.
I am glad i decided to spend a little extra and buy this bowl, it allows me to smoke through all of the shisha i loaded in a decent amount of time, thus i feel less like i am wasting tobacco. I will probably use this bowl for solo sessions or when i smoke with 1 or 2 other people, and use my small for larger groups like i usually do. In the process of writing this review i think i found the optimal heat management for both Tangiers (4/4 method) and Nakhla (CCN cut in half). This bowl definitely smokes Tangiers better than it does Nakhla, but Nak was still exceptionally tasty. I would most definitely reccomend this bowl to anyone looking to get a phunnel that smokes tangiers well and also helps to save some tobacco in the process. The real test will be smoking birquq with it...
  • Upvote 2