EvansLight

Prophet Formerly Known As Ninja Mod

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
  • Interests:Hookah, Throwing Stars...

Posted 11 December 2006 - 03:03 AM

:: Hookah Forum Other Reviews: Tangier's Funnel Bowl ::

Please place all reviews in this forum for Tangier's Funnel Bowl. Please only paste reviews in here, if you would like to also discuss your review, copy it into a new post under the main review section.

Posted ImageFormerly Known As The Ninja Mod Posted Image

Posted Image

#2 web250

web250

Grand Sultan - Sultan of Shisha

• Vested Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,082 posts

Posted 23 December 2006 - 05:26 PM

This bowl is excellent.

I own a small blue/black phunnel purchased at Mnhookah.

Setup is easy, two circles, and a larger hole dead center over the phunnel opening. Smokes excellent. Huge clouds of white puffy smoke. Flavor lasts throughout the session, something I never got out of my old MYA bowl (RIP). Also, tobacco lasts longer, period.
-Jason
Posted Image

#3 Scarecrow

Scarecrow

Emir - Of the Emerald Argileh

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted 13 January 2007 - 10:10 PM

I have the large and the medium. Large looks like it could do 75+ grams of tobacco, but I havent used it yet as I am keeping it for parties. The medium seems to be about 50 grams of tobacco and is still huge. I smoked Leyalina blackberry in it and gave up after 3hrs of smoking. Tobacco was still moist!! I made my own scalli mod though. Havent tried the head without it.

#4 rattler

rattler

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 317 posts

Posted 26 January 2007 - 10:20 PM

Just recieved a small green/blue phunnel from MNHookah. Best hookah purchase I have ever made. Astounding beuaty and functional as well. I found it easier to manage heat and 1 bowl lasted over 3 hours with flavor the whole time! I highly recomend phunnel bowls.

#5 sdmopar

sdmopar

• Vested Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts

Posted 18 February 2007 - 06:55 PM

I ordered a small phunnel bowl from mnhookah.com Could not be happier...I had a bowl last 2 hours with flavor the whole time, and we were smoking it hard the whole time! wub.gif Great invention. After the 2 hours the shisha was still moist, cant be beat! Best purchase for my hookah yet, this coming from a person who has to modify and create hookahs just to make it even better and acheive more smoke. I want to try the phunnel bowl mod next. Have some video of it and am going to be getting more tonight. If you dont have one then get one, you dont know what your missing.

I was exstatic...

#6 cafesaden

cafesaden

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 349 posts
  • Interests:hookah, imports, business

Posted 12 March 2007 - 02:23 AM

A+ when in use with scallis mod

A- without scallis mod.

my tinfoil always gets sucked and stuck to the middle funnel no matter how tight i put the tinfoil on or how big of a hole I put in the middle. i mean it works for long slow draws, but when I decide to take a monster hit it gets all restricted from the tinfoil getting sucked down.

still holds the juices, easy clean-up, and a bowl lasts a long time. not to mention they are pretty sexy also. cool.gif
Posted Image
Cafe Saden
Roseville, CA

#7 teox

teox

Pasha - Majestrate of Mu'ussel

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 96 posts
  • Interests:hookah, ssbm

Posted 21 March 2007 - 06:08 AM

my medium doesnt work at all without scalli's mod. it takes like 7 coals to get going.

#8 LilTank13

LilTank13

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 01 April 2007 - 11:07 AM

Wow! Let me say, with the glass mod, my medium phunnel is amazing. When I opened the package, I was like "DAMN!" it was huge... Functionality-10, looks, 9.5. I love it...

#9 Shifty

Shifty

• Vested Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 295 posts

Posted 05 April 2007 - 08:16 AM

Size of Bowl : Medium
Mods : Glass Scalli , Ice mod
Shisha : Smileys Wedding Cake
Coals : Jap EZ lights (3)
Bowl : Water with ice

Impression:

Opened up the box and the first thing that struck me was the weight of this bowl. Very heavy, very sturdy. Feels like if a puma came at me, I could kill it and then smoke it's fur...that was disturbing. Pretty tall, the bowl measured about 2.65" across and was about 5.5" from base to top. And from what I have been reading on here, that is about the medium dimensions. Since they are all hand made it isn't an exact science so I don't expect them to be to the number. Very well made, only a few slight chips in the clay, but no ones perfect.

Experience:

Wow.

That's a good way to start. So far each time I have smoked with my shallow wide bowl it has burned 15-20 minutes into the session. Getting this, I had high hopes and I certainly wasn't disappointed. Wow, I'll add it again...Wow... I lit up 3 JP coals which btw took about 2 or so minutes a piece to light with a blowtorch and then another 3 minutes for the silver lining to flake off. Speaking of flaking off, boy do these things ever.. Quite the ash on these. But as stated before, not much of a smell or taste once they get going, and the squares are perfect size to distribute evenly around the funnel.

Packing the bowl with the scalli mod was interesting, the mod itself is huge inside the bowl which takes away slightly with the amount of shisha that can be put in the bowl, but not a huge amount. Once the shisha is packed enough the mod itself doesn't move as shown in DJ's video. Foil, shiny side down holes in a donut shape all the way down through the shisha. Put the coals in a pyramid pattern around and let it acclimate to the heat. It took about 5 minutes of heating and pulling but once it started to smoke. Holy mother of (insert whatever)!! Thick Smooth clouds, plenty of flavor (didn't taste wedding cake though, sweet, but not cake. It was good however) The flavor lasted through out the entire session and only got slightly harsh which is a huge change. I could have definitely added more coals for a longer session considering the shisha under the foil was still very moist and only slightly charred.

Cleanup:

The hardest part of the cleanup was the Scalli mod, it had a cake of charred "something" under it, guessing it was the molasses, I let it soak for a few hours and then used a small spatula to scrape off the excess. Other than that, washing out the funnel was quick and easy, with a cleaning brush, I was able to make sure to get anything that may have dripped down because these bowls are pretty tall.

Overall:

Holy S*it....I can't wait to try all the other flavors I had tried before and wasn't impressed with. Definately one of the best purchases I have ever made, Just because I think I will buy a small and large funnel... I would recommend this to anyone interested in a more flavorful experience and to get the most out of your shisha.

10/10

Shifty
Rollin' Along.

#10 bolt in blue

bolt in blue

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
  • Interests:Hookah, Photography, Travel, Computers (I'm a nerd), Music (piano), Hiking, Snowboarding, Jesus

Posted 13 April 2007 - 10:20 AM

I placed an order with hookahcompany yesterday for a small phunnel. I went with them, since they seem to be the only ones who have the small phunnel in stock. Now, I'd debating on whether I should order the glass mod or just try it plain for a while. Any thoughts?

#11 bolt in blue

bolt in blue

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
  • Interests:Hookah, Photography, Travel, Computers (I'm a nerd), Music (piano), Hiking, Snowboarding, Jesus

Posted 13 April 2007 - 03:58 PM

Well, I decided to just go for it and ordered a glass mod today from MN. I'll have to try it both ways and see what I like best.

#12 bolt in blue

bolt in blue

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts

Posted 19 April 2007 - 11:36 PM

Well, it's been a crazy couple of days here, but I finally got a chance to try the phunnel tonight. I have the small and used the glass mod.

Loaded up a bowl of layalina watermelon. Smoked for 1:50 in the first session and am now smoking from the same bowl again. It's been nearly 3 total hours now on a small phunnel with strong flavor the whole time! Currently on my 4th 33mm 3 kings coal.

I feel like I'm getting better clouds than with the mya bowl, but this is my first time smoking layalina watermelon, so I can't really say. Guess I'll have to try it in the mya bowl as well.

#13 Hookah Joe

Hookah Joe

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts

Posted 20 April 2007 - 08:28 PM

I got my new phunnel bowl from HC today. Its a green one, I guess its a small/medium. I have 2 33m 3kings, and a half of another done in a pyramid pattern. Got watermlon/pear(thanks erica), and its awesome. 1 big ring, an a second ring much closer to the funnel+ 1 larger hole over the funnel. Got some great clouds. It holds a great amount goin on. Im at 45 minutes, and its wonderful. bout to light another 1/2, and throw it on.

#14 stjohns

stjohns

Bey - Low Lord of the Hose.

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 21 May 2007 - 01:47 AM

I'm adding photos of my small and medium Tangiers phunnel bowls to give an idea of comparative size. The med is from Hookah Company and the small is from MN Hookah. My setup is a Mya bohemian and I usually smoke Starbuzz and Smiley's.

Here are the measurements:
Tangiers small phunnel
2.5 in. (6.4 cm) diameter (measured from inside of rim to rim)
4.5 in. (11.3 cm) tall

Tangiers medium phunnel
2.875 in. (7.4 cm) diameter (measured from inside of rim to rim)
4.75 in. (12 cm) tall

In the group shot the bowls are, from left to right: standard Mya, small Tangiers, standard ceramic, med Tangiers, small MNH glass

Attached File  comparative2.jpg   15.84KB   873 downloads

Attached File  comparativebowls.jpg   27.06KB   991 downloads

This is the medium, with the glass mod in place. You can see there's still plenty of room in the bowl.
Attached File  holdingtanglarg.jpg   19.22KB   1074 downloads

My favorite bowl is the small Tangiers, used with the mod. For heat, I usually use one 3 Kings 33mm and a smaller piece of Smiley's coconut charcoal, one on each side and move them as needed. When that burns out I put on one more 3 Kings and after that goes, my attention span/taste buds usually burn out, but the shisha is usually still going. The long neck on the bowl ensures that the stem grommet isn't getting too hot.

Edited by stjohns, 21 May 2007 - 01:52 AM.

#15 MaxT0

MaxT0

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 29 June 2007 - 04:39 PM

Just got my phunnel w/ mod and had what is probably my best session. The bowl itself looks great, but most importantly the flavor of the shisha lasts a long time. My session was 2 hours. At the end the flavor was still strong.

#16 KillZedKill

KillZedKill

Vizier - Molassed Harlequin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 495 posts
  • Interests:Hey all, My names Matt Adams, I reside in a god awful redneck town called Sonora, California. I'm a musician, mostly dealing with Electric guitars, but I like to play a lot of world percussion such as Djembes, and I even play Didgeridoo.<br /><br />

Posted 18 July 2007 - 01:11 PM

Despite my god awful experience with Hookah Companys Hookahs, I would like to write a review on my new funnel bowl with mod. I purchased a medium blue Funnel, and loaded it up with the Havana grape i got for free from HC. I placed 4 japanese coals in a + formation and started smoking. Three pulls from my qt and it was allready started. Alot of smoke, very good. The flavor was a bit iffy. If you like wine, youd enjoy this grape shisha. The smell is nice, but a bit overpowering for my taste.

#17 stryet

stryet

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 205 posts
  • Interests:Rockin' out...and baking.

Posted 28 July 2007 - 12:30 AM

Large Phunnel

This bowl rocks! After reading what others have done on the site, I underpacked it (because you can), used four Japs in a cross formation with random holes avoiding the center, and had smooth, flavorful smoke for three hours, without having to move the coals! It wasn't as thick as I'm used to, but then again, I don't have a mod yet. This bowl really helps the shisha last--the only problem is that I'm going through my coals like no other! I'm probably going back to fingered coals, but every smoke with this bowl is worth it.
"pull the trigger and the nightmare stops"

#18 likespaceships

likespaceships

• Vested Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 512 posts
  • Interests:music and xbox

Posted 24 November 2007 - 04:50 PM

Just tried out my medium phunnel with glass mod with a bowl of al waha orange cream (my favorite alwaha flavor) and it was amazing. The flavor was stronger then ever before. The bowl lasted forever and it was tasty the entire time. I can't wait to use it with all my other flavors and with some tangiers. Go and order one now you will not regret it.

#19 sss8789

sss8789

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 448 posts
  • Interests:HOOKAH

Posted 03 January 2008 - 08:14 AM

Absolutely amazing!!!
This thing mixed with exoticas is truly amazing. There were bigger clouds and more flavor that in my mya bowl. I have the small but it is still huge. I highly recommend one.

#20 Place_Name_Here

Place_Name_Here

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts

Posted 05 May 2008 - 07:54 PM

i realy injoy my small phunnel from HC but i have some questions concerning the copyright to the actual shape. I was wondering if it was legal to make a simmilar shaped bowl as long as its not sold as a "tangiers phunnel bowl. Im an artist and was wanting to make some unique bowls to sell this summer for alittle extra money for art supplies and have been working on prototypes.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users