Phaking the Phunnel.

Lakemonster

hey awsome idea man. i had a real phunnel that worked great for a while untill it met a concrete floor, but this easily works just as well. i smoked SB for the first time and used this, strawberry & vanilla mix, and it was delicouss. i used about 1.5 33mm coals in a triangle over 8 or 10 holes, it took a good 10 minutes to get going, but once it did, it was great.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
threads a tad old but im trying it right now, its great, lots of flavor, i got mine going in 2 or 3 puffs. cant wait for the real one.

edit, wow 2 coals, 1 then another, over an hour, and it could prolly still go, massive headache though, hmm? but i had a nice sized bowl to myself, amazing, im questioning buying a real one, i can't complain with this one??? i mean i don't need more flavor or length? im just glad i can hit over an hour with out any burning of the shisha at all!

edit 2, after cleaning up and unveiling the shisha was pretty blackened? wonder why no burnt taste came through, great success lol but i never get headaches from hookah? this is a really bad headache what happened? Edited by zeppyrkr

• 1 month later...
i know what im try'n tonight. hope it works like it should.

oh and im a broke ass, and $12 would be breaking the bank lol.

• 3 weeks later...
Sorry to bring this back from the dead with my first post but wow, totally worth getting a real funnel... smoking Nakhla sweet melon with a touch of mint right now, this setup made this shisha taste better and so far (45 min in) not die out like normal after thirty...i did need more heat though (2 soex coals) but otherwise worth while.

I tried it today in my car, smoking Skyzzz Exotic Raspberry. I've smoked it before and it's a decent shisha, nothing amazing but I've definitely had worse...

That foilphunnel kicks ass. I packed about 15-20 grams of shisha into the bowl, smoked for about 45 mins- 1 hour (because I forgot to bring extra coals with me in the car) and when I looked at the shisha it was still only half burnt... worked great for me wink.gif

Also the easiest cleanup I've ever had!

• 1 month later...
i too tried the phake funnel and let me say that with the generic crap egyptian glazed bowl it made a MASSIVE difference. Before all my tobacco would start tasting harsh almost 2o minutes in. Now it goes on for a solid 1 hour without any burnt taste att al. Im usin a MZ and golden river ql and my last sessions with nakhla sweet melon were really good. ill be faking the funnel for most of my solo sessions. And its not hard to do this either. But youll use quite a bit more foil for sure.

• 2 weeks later...
QUOTE (kimcd @ Apr 27 2008, 01:36 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
i too tried the phake funnel and let me say that with the generic crap egyptian glazed bowl it made a MASSIVE difference. Before all my tobacco would start tasting harsh almost 2o minutes in. Now it goes on for a solid 1 hour without any burnt taste att al. Im usin a MZ and golden river ql and my last sessions with nakhla sweet melon were really good. ill be faking the funnel for most of my solo sessions. And its not hard to do this either. But youll use quite a bit more foil for sure.

co-sign

i tried it today as instructed by you lot.

it worked well.

theway i did it was get hte foil, wrap it all roundthe bowl first.

make a hole in middle.

cut the end of a straw, like a little bit. wrap that with some foil.

put that bit of straw in the centre hole.

pack with shisha, put foil on top.

and done. tasted nice, but i overpacked it abit too much, and got a lot of harshness for like 15minutes.

Do i have to pack the shisha tightly like tangiers, or jus do it as normal.

i packed it tight, i squeezed the shisha right till there was no air left, but did it a bit too high (exprimenting).

well guys this thread convinced me to phake my phunnel until I got one (hopefully I can get it in the trades) and not only did I just make a fake phunnel in my old egyptian clay bowl I also made a ghetto mod for it from a bottle cap and foil, it's smoking GREAT so far wink.gif

let me know if you guys want some pics and i'll throw some up, took all of 5 min max to make them both, good sub until I get the real deal Edited by liquidglass

QUOTE (liquidglass @ May 6 2008, 07:04 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
well guys this thread convinced me to phake my phunnel until I got one (hopefully I can get it in the trades) and not only did I just make a fake phunnel in my old egyptian clay bowl I also made a ghetto mod for it from a bottle cap and foil, it's smoking GREAT so far wink.gif

let me know if you guys want some pics and i'll throw some up, took all of 5 min max to make them both, good sub until I get the real deal

up the pics i want to n wot it looks like. wich thread is the one with the bottle cap?

QUOTE (goon @ May 6 2008, 09:11 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (liquidglass @ May 6 2008, 07:04 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

let me know if you guys want some pics and i'll throw some up, took all of 5 min max to make them both, good sub until I get the real deal

up the pics i want to n wot it looks like. wich thread is the one with the bottle cap?

alright I'll get you some pics up

and as far as I know there is no thread about the bottle cap, just one to home make a "mod" out of metal that you have to heat, bang with a hammer, etc.
I came up with the bottle cap idea off the top of my head. But if you guys like it I'll show you how I did it.

QUOTE (liquidglass @ May 6 2008, 07:31 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I agree Neal is awesome, been talking to him on blogtv the last few days. But I've got a med phunnel coming to me this week (thanks hippo!) So I might invest in a mod.

I'll def have to look into the free shipping.

But as far as the ghetto mod goes, no it was a plastic bottle cap, but don't worry, it was only there for form, it was under two layers of foil and it didn't melt or anything. Worked like a charm through 4 bowls.

You are a braver man than I for smoking with plastic in the bowl!

QUOTE (indian_villager @ May 7 2008, 11:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (liquidglass @ May 6 2008, 07:31 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I agree Neal is awesome, been talking to him on blogtv the last few days. But I've got a med phunnel coming to me this week (thanks hippo!) So I might invest in a mod.

I'll def have to look into the free shipping.

But as far as the ghetto mod goes, no it was a plastic bottle cap, but don't worry, it was only there for form, it was under two layers of foil and it didn't melt or anything. Worked like a charm through 4 bowls.

You are a braver man than I for smoking with plastic in the bowl!

Yes that's me, going where no ghetto rigger has gone before lol. It actuall works out well I've smoked two nights with it and i'm getting ready to light itup again, the foil gets hot with some burns on it like most foil, but the cap is in tact. IN fact before I load it i'll take those pics I was promising

here they are

then here with the mod (mod is a little dark b/c of the coals but functions perfect)

Edited by liquidglass

• 2 weeks later...
QUOTE (lippstuh @ May 18 2008, 03:44 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
can't u just use foil as the mod w/o the actual bottle cap?

Yes, you can. I actually did that with one of my new (real) phunnel bowls b/c i haven't bought a real mod yet. Mostly because the bottle cap didn't fit over the hole that well. But regardless both are useful it's just easier to make it with the bottle cap in it IMO, keeps it's shape too.