Phaking the Phunnel.

Lakemonster

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (azcoyote)
QUOTE (art_official)
wow nice haha i was just about to edjikate myslef into which phunnel i should buy as a christmas present but i think ill try this first and spend the money on sheesh hahah nice!

Personally, I'd rather receieve the real phunnel as a gift than some tobacco., but maybe the present is for yourself -in which case get the tobacco but buy something Tangiers - he's got to make a living too, and if you're not going to buy his bowl, the very least you could do is buy his shisha! It's awesome, in case you haven't heard.

yes the present was for myself...it was a bit of a humor standpoint
as for mnhookah im sure hes doing quite well as many people do buy his products, the fact that i am goign to use a tinfoil mod to save money for things like gas and school wont really affect tariks business, another reason for that is that many companies makes the "phunnel bowl", not just mnhookah and yes i have tangiers sheesh, its quite good :wink:

plus, as lake put it...i hate mother earth laugh.gif

I still actually dont get how you do this!!! coz i dont even know how a funnel works. so you put tobacco in a normal mya bowl and then u finger the foil literally into a cylinder type of shape then u put it on the mya bowl then u put tobacco on the foil again then foil over? or something.

I'll try to explain this as clearly as possible as to how I did it myself.

Ghetto Phunnel in 10 easy steps

1 :Take a large piece of your favourite foil.
2: Put your pinky ( that little finger) in the center and shape the foil around it
3: Take all the excedent foil and curve it upwards to get it out of the way
4: place the strange contraption in the bottom of an empty bowl
5: With all the foil you have , try to gently push it into the bowl and mold it to the bowl's form
6: What you should have after working the foil into the bowl is a bowl covered with foil with a pinky-size stalagmite sprouting from the middle. Now just secure the foil nicely and make sure everything holds.
7 : Cut the pinky's top. When I did it , I cut it a couple of centemiters under the bowl's top , so i'd get some space for smoke circulation.
8: Put the tobacco in
9: Put a foil and poke your favourite hole pattern
10 : Enjoy

• 2 weeks later...
I have a small phunnel bowl and a normal mya clay bowl. Everytime I am smoking by myself I do the fake phunnel because you need a lot of shisha for the tangiers bowl. They both work great. Now i can go trough 3 "33mm 3kings" and the shisha doesnt taste burnt. Cleaning the bowl using this is a breeze cause you dont have to worry about the bowl at all.

• 1 month later...
I found it hard to shape the foil for smaller holes so what i found worked really well are those little aluminum kind of tart holders. Like they hold different tart pastry things like butter tarts and stuff. They are stiffer and can be washed and reused easily. But great idea.

QUOTE (Pyrofeed @ Dec 10 2006, 06:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
i would like to hear from someone who has the funnel bowl to make a comparison between the two

well i just got a small phunnel after using lakemonsters excellent fake funnell idea..
the phake phunnell is awesome..but... teh small phunnel is even better
kudos to LM for the phake phunnel..if it wasnt for him.. i wudnt have bought teh real thing..

one problem with the real phunnel tho... it holds a hell of a lot of shisha.. so maybe if you smoke by yourself a lot, it is probably better to use teh phake phunnell..

I've been doing this every so often when I wanna have a phunnel-style solo smoke, but I've got a different method:

Make a ball out of foil and set it in the center of the bowl
Take your foil and form it to the shape of the bowl -- the foil ball should create a bump in the center
Take the foil mold out of the bowl and remove the foil ball
Poke holes around the side of the center bulge (poking holes in the side is a way of building in the scalli's mod concept)
Put the foil back in the bowl and add your tobacco smile.gif

You can do some of these steps in a different order -- I actually like to start forming the foil over the ball on a flat service, then put it in the bowl and finish shaping it, then poke the holes while the ball is still in there (it's a bit tedious to poke the holes after removing the ball.)

• 6 months later...
I too made the ghetto phunnel, only because I broke my other phunnel and was waiting for the new phunnel to come in the mail. Theres nothing like an actual phunnel bowl. I have had both, clay and glass phunnels and actually prefer the clay as the medium holds more than the large glass phunnel. The people that are bitching that their broke, this is an expensive hobby. The phunnel will save you money, I think you at least owe the man for that.

• 3 weeks later...
Oh, has anyone thought of this as an alternative to a phunnel but difficult to make out of ceramic material... a little cup of foil just a little bit smaller than a regular bowl filled with shisha and placed on lifters. Then you put foil over the top of the whole thing and the little cup doesn't touch the top... wait let me make up a drawing.... this could be the next great bowl!!!

I think that this would match if not exceed the performance of the phunnel. it would also be suited for smoking smaller amounts of shisha. the hot smoke and air going directly underneath the shisha would also help to heat it. I'm making this bowl. I had this idea before but had never thought of making it in 2 pieces. what do you guys think? I'm thinking the bowl will be ceramic and the cup for shisha would be glass

So I was sitting in class today, bored as usual. I've been in the market for a phunnel bowl, but I'm broke as sh*t being a college student and whatnot. (You gotta eat) So I was thinking about what I could do to make a ghetto phunnel. I figured foil would work fine. I come here and low and behold, I am way behind the times. laugh.gif God I love this place.

hey awsome idea man. i had a real phunnel that worked great for a while untill it met a concrete floor, but this easily works just as well. i smoked SB for the first time and used this, strawberry & vanilla mix, and it was delicouss. i used about 1.5 33mm coals in a triangle over 8 or 10 holes, it took a good 10 minutes to get going, but once it did, it was great.