8 bowl hookah

cypherkk

Hannakuh (which has about a million different spellings) is 8 nights long with 9 spaces for candles in the menorah, but other menorahs (the ones for lighting temples not Hannakuh) can be seven candles (or less or more). I apologize for the excessive parentheses but I'll admit I've been drinking a smidge. laugh.gif

QUOTE (CaliforniaRose)
Hannakuh (which has about a million different spellings) is 8 nights long with 9 spaces for candles in the menorah, but other menorahs (the ones for lighting temples not Hannakuh) can be seven candles (or less or more). I apologize for the excessive parentheses but I'll admit I've been drinking a smidge.  :lol:

Yeah, I was gonna bring that up but I decided not too.

Oh and good for you, love. When I'm drinking I know I could never be so thorough, let alone spell parentheses.

Yeah, 3 Cosmos. Anywho, I went to Israel this summer with my boyfriend and when looking at the replica menorah in the Old City, he turned to me and said, but there are only 7 spots for candles not 9, whats wrong?...I laughed so hard before explaining to him there was more then one type of menorah. He didn't know, fyi we are both Jewish.

Heh, I'm not Jewish and I knew that. I have some family that lives in East Jerusalem, they went out there after WWII because, apparently, Zionists arriving at the displaced persons camps mistook them for Sephardic Jews. Don't ask me how. Anywho I think Judaism's really interesting. Edited by Shavo989

Okay just for the record the candle holding device used during Hannakuh is called a Chanukkiyah. a Menorah only has space for seven candles. the Chanukkiyah has room for nine candles one for each night plus the Shamash which is used to light the rest of the candles 8+1=9

QUOTE (hookah hippie)
Okay just for the record the candle holding device used during Hannakuh is called a  Chanukkiyah. a Menorah only has space for seven candles. the Chanukkiyah has room for nine candles one for each night plus the Shamash which is used to light the rest of the candles 8+1=9

That is true, but a majority of us laid back reform jews in America (such as me and my family and my boyfriend and his family, several famlies we each know) simply call them menorahs cause its easier. Yes not as accurate, but very few people know that.