What the Heck is this stuff??

A guy I know went to India. So I asked him to bring me back some hookah tobacco. What he brought was 4 heavy bags of THIS stuff. He said they mix it with honey and smoke it in hookahs.

Anyone have ANY idea about this?

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey man, I'll send you a big bag of that stuff. I just gotta go to my backyard with a shovel, and scoop you up some fresh DIRT!!

Just playin man, but seriously, most definitely looks like dirt. Make sure to give us a trip report after a session with that stuff smile.gif

That does look like dirt...I wouldnt smoke it...In fact, it looks like manure actually...Do you have a garden in the back, you should throw that stuff on it, im sure your plants will grow!!

I'd definitely smoke it up as long as it smelled alright. You could probably whip it up with some honey like you said, and load a bowl with it, and use a long poker to poke holes through it into the bowl holes if its too runny. I wanna know how this goes.

OK. Ive read about this....

Hookah tobacco made in India is smoked as a paste.... it is ground into a powder like that because part of that powdered tobacco is made into a paste for EATING. Cant remember the name of the stuff now. My understanding is that the stuff is N. Rustica instead of N. Tobacciana, which we here in the west are used to seeing in smoking tobaccos.

around a 4th of India's tobacco industry is dedicated to making what you have or something very simular.

No. at least I dont think so..... the stuff Im talking about is Paan masala.... a tobacco paste that is used in making a small after dinner snack (some sort of strange small rolled up thing...saw it on TV once) that is served by street vendors in India.

However. I'd like to find some of that Gutkha stuff. always wanted to try Betel nut.... stains the teeth real bad tho...

Heres a snippet of what I had found last week. taken from the following page : http://www.godfreyphillips.com/tobacco-india_home.asp

The non smoking tobacco including chewing tobacco and gutka market, has grown at a rapid rate from almost zero a decade ago to its current position. The market is divided between chewing tobacco, snuff and hookah. The industry is also very regional in character with only two brands having a national presence, Pan Parag and Manikchand.

Chewing tobacco and hookah occupy about 25% of the total tobacco grown in India and are consumed internally in the form of chewing, hookah, paste, quiwam, candy and gutka purposes. There are some 400-500 products of pan masala available in the market such as sented supari, aromatic powder, khaini, mishri, mawa, snuff, zarda, cheroot, etc.

I'd mix honey and glycerin in if honey alone just doesnt cut it......

I would put that stuff in a coffee grinder first and hit it just a little bit. Then I would mix it up.
Then again I may hit it really good with a coffee grinder and mix it in with some really wet shisha and see how it affects the flavor.

Guthka is tobacco and betel nuts, Paan is betel nuts. They have similar flavors, but thats where the similarity stops. As a fan of Paan, I can say there is no tobacco in it. Pann Masala contains: betel nuts, catechu and lime (the mineral, not the fruit). I don't care what Wikipedia says. Whatever the translation is, Arabs I know (not that they're experts on India) and cans of the stuff report no tobacco. Now I know my beloved betel nuts are carcinogen, though. sad.gif

uh lake...Kashmir IS flavoured with Betelnut. I believe. Tangiers said the Secret ingredient was Gutha. Didn't he?

Wouldnt know..... I dont remember reading the conversation on it. Not smoked it.

IM goofin the name up fo that that food item Im talkin about evidently..... this thing has tobacco in it.. and you ingest it.. not not put between mouth and gum. The stuff probably is Gutkha...

aha..... found the stuff. Paan. evidently the word stretches over to what Im talking about. http://www.shobanarayan.com/articles/newsp...es_nyt_paan.htm

clip from that link....

THIS is how you eat paan in India: You and your sweetheart go to a favorite restaurant and feed each other delicious food till you are so full you can barely stand. You saunter down the promenade, lulled by the moonlit waves, tropical breeze and twinkling stars. You happen upon a paan wallah, or betel vendor, ringing his bell as he pushes his truck.
"Sada or meetha?" he asks — plain or sweet?

"Meetha," you reply.

He smooths a tender betel leaf. With lightning dexterity, his hands fly over the containers crowding his truck. A little roasted fennel seed, some cloves, cardamom, betel nuts, tobacco paste, coconut flakes and rose paste are all stuffed into the betel leaf, which he folds into a triangle and nails together with a clove.

Without a word, you pop it in and chew. The sweet juices burst in your mouth with a tantalizing mix of flavors and textures — the refreshing cardamom, peppery betel leaf, biting cloves, tangy fennel and sweet rose paste. The experience is as seductive as a stolen kiss, as relaxing as an after-dinner cigar.