Hookah Forum
Sign in to follow this  
moosepotatoes

Hookah Terminology Pronounciation

i think it would be a good idea, so we are all on the same page, to get some pronounciation things up in this bitch. Some stuff seems easy to pronounce, but I want to make sure I'm saying it right....So All you middle easterners come teach us the correct pronounciation using simple phonetics. Like I dont know how you say Tangiers, Which I'm not sure is eaven arabic but whatever.

is it like Tan-Jeers? That's how I say it.

Anyways Help us out.

Moassel in particular.

I'm suddenly reminded of the thread of a former member chastising us for pronunciation and causing a big hoop-la.

But yeah, that's the way I pronounce Tangiers as well.

i say tangiers like that too. XD Dizzy, i thought the same thing. Wheres good ol Mo when we need em?

I say it as Mo A Sal, but I'm not at ALL sure.

I never know how to say Mya. For that matter, how do you say soex?

Mia pronounced similar to the Mayans? I've been wondering this for a long time, haha. As far as Moassel, I say it "Mo-a-Sel"

Lmao, we are getting far on this. We need Tangiers, and Mya here for themselves. XDD

Well any arab tobacco name that has a -k in it is actually a -ch sound. So yeah Nakla is actually pronounced nachla. Although a lot of people who haven't grown up with a semetic language physically can't roll their tongue to make that sound. So I don't think anyone would be offended if you can't pronounce it properly.

[quote name='PersianPride']Well any arab tobacco name that has a -k in it is actually a -ch sound. So yeah Nakla is actually pronounced nachla. Although a lot of people who haven't grown up with a semetic language physically can't roll their tongue to make that sound. So I don't think anyone would be offended if you can't pronounce it properly.[/quote]

ummm...dude, from what ive been taught by all the arabs at the hookah bar, nakhla and fakher(anything with 'kh') is pronounced with....dammit u cant even pronounce it with text....okay...im ripping this from meet the fockers but...u know sometimes when u have popcorn stuck in the back of your throat? how would you get it out? with that h-h-h-h sound right? well thats how you would pronounce those sounds....and tangiers is tanjeers...i remember this discussion a while ago...b4 most of you were members of the hookah forum.....

[quote name='pavlakos'][quote name='PersianPride']Well any arab tobacco name that has a -k in it is actually a -ch sound. So yeah Nakla is actually pronounced nachla. Although a lot of people who haven't grown up with a semetic language physically can't roll their tongue to make that sound. So I don't think anyone would be offended if you can't pronounce it properly.[/quote]

ummm...dude, from what ive been taught by all the arabs at the hookah bar, nakhla and fakher(anything with 'kh') is pronounced with....dammit u cant even pronounce it with text....okay...im ripping this from meet the fockers but...u know sometimes when u have popcorn stuck in the back of your throat? how would you get it out? with that h-h-h-h sound right? well thats how you would pronounce those sounds....and tangiers is tanjeers...i remember this discussion a while ago...b4 most of you were members of the hookah forum.....[/quote]

Ok that message was really confusing. Anyway i think were both trying to get at the same thing. I would sort of describe it was a tv static sort of sound if that makes sense to anyone. But the point is its not a -k sound.

[quote name='Hookah_Bob3']I say Tangiers like tan-jeers
Mya like my-uh
Soex like so-ex[/quote]

The same way i say those three.

QUOTE (MN Hookah)
QUOTE (Sonthert)
You can say Tan-jeers however you want...just buy some already!

I'll second that request!

/grumbles get your bloody payment gate way up and running so i can order tangiers international /ungrumble

JD biggrin.gif

QUOTE (Sonthert)

The guy has a point!

QUOTE (Sonthert)

Well, I'm convinced!

QUOTE (Sonthert)

just did with a funnel bowl!!!