hookahs and religion

I am a extremely religious person. I would consider myself a devout Christian. I attend church on a almost daily basis and help out at church alot. I love it.
What are your opinions about Hookahs and religion. Sin or no sin. I couldnt see [i]myself[/i] smoking cigs, although I see nothing wrong with it, its just not for me. But I love my hookah. So hmm :roll: interesting, lets get some opinions.

I have moved this topic, I think it might belong in the serious discussion area.

I am an non-thiest, that is I don't believe in super-natural beings, like your god, so that makes the question non-sequitur.

Welcome to the Forum!

WARNING: The tems Racist and any PERSONAL attacks will be delt with sevearly. Like a 3 day 24 hour suspension.

Religion can get kinda touchy here..as it can ANYWHERE actually, and I wanted to lay down the law now that this will be a CIVIL discussion.

Welcome to the forum btw... :wink:

i think that religion is a social construct put in place to regulate the lives of people who have trouble thinking for themselves. I was raised christian but have since thought my way out of it. I respect relgious beliefs, when they do not affect others than the believers, and dont attack peoples beliefs. That said it seems like all religious have a mixed message about carnal sins. on the one hand it is made clear that the body is meaningless and the soul is what matters, thats what continues, dont save money because you cant use it in heaven etc. but at the same time its a "sin" to do most things that people would naturally wish to do and be happy doing. I realize most religious believers have come to terms with these sorts of contradictions, but for me they never made any sense. I can understand how some things like not killing others make sense as "sins," but then there are other things such as wearing cloth made of multiple materials (bible) that make one "unclean."

I am a happy agnostic and i smoke hookah because i like it and am ok with the possible health risks.

i have several questions for the devout. i was never really religious, and i always get comments like "watch your mouth" or "quit swearing" (i swear like a sailor....i should, i was a sailor for five years). where exactly in the bible does it say "do not say 'fuck'"? and where does it say anything about smoking?

thanks for the warm welcome. i agree with joey. i do believe that it is a sin to harm your body. but lets be real and look at it this way. eating a hamburger from mcdonalds is harming your body. drinking a ice cold pepsi is harming your body. honestly just breathing is harming your body. im not tryin to justify harming your body, but i mean in my opinion if were going o use the excuse its wrong because its harming our body, then we need to sop doing all the other stuff aswell. oh well, my opinion. :)

Well, one hamburger doesn't harm your body and one smoking session doesn't harm your body, but gluttony is a sin. So maybe moderation is the answer. That being said, I'm off to go smoke right now.

I;m of the opinion that a religion is simply a guidleine to your life that you use for your own gains. I personally beleive that if their ARE such superbeings, that they are by our own creation, and fade away once their usefulness has been done away with. But...no, I wouldn't think smoking is a sin.

And Darth, I know what you mean. Theres this one girl at work, whos the most naive person that I know. Shes constantly into the "don't use the lords name in vain" thread, whenever I let a "god dammit" loose. I try to be good, but I don't find it to be particularly her business to correct me when I mess up to her standards.

Hillel and Chabad (Jewish Resource Centers for College Students) often have Hookah events. Both host cultural and religious events. Talk about an intersection between religion and hookah. Being Jewish I don't find a conflict between hookah and religion, but I come from a reform/liberal Jewish backround.

Number one, anybody who says "Don't take the lord's name in vain." Is uneducated in their own religion. The bible gives us the name of god, Yahweh, Jehovah. We call him god so that we might not use his true name. Saying "Jehovah, damn it!" would indeed be taking the lord's name in vain. "God, damn it." is not.

Well, by the same token, incense is burned at mass, right? Incense is probably as harmful or more harmful than hookah smoking...so if its OK in the church once a week, I'm sure god won't mind a hookah once a week.

• 1 month later...
Tobacco was first smoked as a religious sacrament as were most other drugs. I actually consider hookah smoking if not a religious experience a very spiritual experience that makes me feel connected to the earth, god, my lover, and my friends.

well, I don't know you could say tobacco is intentionally harming your body. Anymore, especially, than say oxygen. Now, it may not be a "necessary" as oxygen, but don't tell me it doesn't harm you.

Same with fast food, and drugs, and TV., Sex, and exercise. Technically, all these things can be sins. What makes them sin is abuse of them. I believe the "christian" and "jewish" religions both state "everything in moderation"

The seven sins were actually penned in about 300 AD. By a Roman Emperor and Christian who swore off Polygomy and "chemical abuse" basically alchohol, as he was quite a glutton in his youth. I don't recall any of them declaring tobacco a sin. I also don't recall any of the 10 commandments stating tobacco or any material specifially as a sin. Maybe what you do with it.

Besides, you can always ask for forgiveness.

but if my body is a temple, shouldnt i be able to do what i want to it. it is my temple isnt it? and doesnt it say that you should be happy in your temple? well smoking my hookah and having a drink every now and then make me happy.

QUOTE (SanguineSolitude @ Nov 4 2006, 10:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
i think that religion is a social construct put in place to regulate the lives of people who have trouble thinking for themselves. I was raised christian but have since thought my way out of it. I respect relgious beliefs, when they do not affect others than the believers, and dont attack peoples beliefs. That said it seems like all religious have a mixed message about carnal sins. on the one hand it is made clear that the body is meaningless and the soul is what matters, thats what continues, dont save money because you cant use it in heaven etc. but at the same time its a "sin" to do most things that people would naturally wish to do and be happy doing. I realize most religious believers have come to terms with these sorts of contradictions, but for me they never made any sense. I can understand how some things like not killing others make sense as "sins," but then there are other things such as wearing cloth made of multiple materials (bible) that make one "unclean."

I am a happy agnostic and i smoke hookah because i like it and am ok with the possible health risks.

I agree with everything he says.