Traditional Flavoring

Hi

I'm searching since a while about how to make traditional flavouring like ägyptian old school nakhlas.

I don't really know how it is in the states but here in germany we got tobaccos which had to be changed for bein allowed. They do a very good job at all but what I want is not what I get here.

I came to the point that the flavourings I need might be oils. Sometimes single fragrance oils, sometimes aroma oils and sometimes essential oils. But no synthetic based flavouring oils like we have for e-cigarettes.

Do you have any information about the flavours or do you know if that what I'm about to use right now is the wrong direction to go forward?

One big question is of course how to make a tasty double apple tobacco and I am thinking about mixing vanilla, chocolate, apple and star anise in an mix like this

20g oil (every kind 5g)

75g tobacco (60virginia 15burley)

120g glycerin

30g honey

First getting the oils in tje tobacco to get them stay there and after a view hours adding the molasses. The flavour is safe and can bite itself through to the honey.

What do you think about this? Is it far away from the flavour nakhla did or does(don't know if they do by now in the states)

For some reason I came to the point that the black fruits tobacco is in relation to a hibiscus scent because the sweets from haribo have that as s flavouring and it smells a bit like that. 

Anyone got information?

Please help me!

I'm truely a bit confused because we have no realy rich tobaccos, we only have.. strange things for me.

Maybe you can help :)

Kind regards

Dominik

From what I understand Nakhla Double Apple is red apple, Green apple. and rose.

I know folks in German often get the lower glycerin version that your purity laws allow and simply add additional glycerin to get something more like we get here in the states.

Search the DIY section for people's attempts at making their own. There are some tricks that are not immediately apparent.

Thanks for your replies!

Hmm okay that's absolutely not was I thought. Green and red apple hm.. i don't know..

I thought a bit about the last days and the next try will be about mixing some pure ingredients - cacao(just a bit), true vanilla(powdered), some star anise oil but also not much.

So the real tobacco sence might stay and I will taste more undertones of vanilla and chocolate wich the virginia and the burley always got by itselfs.

I think rich flavourings come by taking small amounts of the good things.

I'm not about to make it more wet then this 1 to 2 ratio(tobacco molasses) but I'm going to get some real good dark honey for that.

I like the natural nonflavoured I do very much which is just a mix of virginia burley honey and glycerin. Smokes nice huge clouds and tastes delicious like tobacco does.

I'll post a recipe when I'm sure I like it. :)

Greetings

Hey

Today I started my little journey to get my shisha good again.

I made a small batch with following ingredients - after taking a good nose in it I think maybe less Star Anise Oil would do it but I'm happy to wait my ten to fourteen days to get it dry.

50g Tobacco (5g burley in it, I did just had that, waiting for a new order)

20g Honey (forests stuff)

80g glycerin

~1g powdered vanilla, maybe a bit less

~1g powdered cacao(not the sugared mix)

About 3g star anise oil

Let's have a look how tasty that might become in the next few days, smells great right now :D

Greetings

Well, let it mellow few days. I'm told that helps meld all the flavours as opposed to making it and smoking it immediately. 

I am NOT an anise fan. Peach has always been my go to flavour, with the OG Tangiers K-Peach being what i smoked exclusively for many years.

Let me know how it turns out.

That's so cool you're answering.

As I found this board in web it seemed a bit out of date but you're here thank you for that.

My favourite was always nakhla double apple and fakhfakina fruits but nowerdays I don't know if the quality I got was just fake. Thr nakhlas I can buy now are.. 'different'.

I bought the double apple in the states but it was very chemically. Like you said flavour in green and red apples but like a chemical discount was made and they bought as much of it they can. I remember it in very delicious but not chemical at all. The cherry I had was like candy sweets but there is no tobacco anymore that is candy sweet. All konami's superhero comic style tobaccos.

Maybe they faked it in best but that's not what I realy think.

Here is a picture of my natural tobacco. So good :D

I give you my oppinion about the new apples tobacco I do. I just let it dry now for about ten days then I try firsttime. Today is day.. three I think ;)

tmp-cam-1365956249.jpg

Dont let it get too dry. Too dry means no good smoke. Unless you burn the tobacco itself, which sucks. 

Al Fakher and Starbuzz still make plenty of candy flavouring but I dont know if you can get it in Germany.

Have you ever had Nakhla in the Can or Glass jar? The difference between that and what comes in the cartons is astounding

Okay you say there is no nakhla products at all we can easilie talk about because they are all different products even it's for the same region in the world and given with the same name?

Strange things happen. So we shouldn't talk about nakhla because you never know what I'm talkin about and you don't. Hm.. -.-

Back to tobacco making

That's not too dry for me, realy good smoke and if you add at least a bit of star anise the dry feeling in your mouth goes away and it becomes smokeable for most smokers. But I like it without anise if I want it as natures tobacco flavour.

What I found out; you can't add ground vanilla and cacao to that version of tobacco. It burns away.

So I'm a bit unkind with that situation, I wanted nature pure but now I need to get vanilla as chemical extracts. Pure vanilla oil is too expensive right now I don't want to spend that much on it.

And is there any natural chocolate flavour in the world wich is not chemical at all? PLEASE HELP IF YOU KNOW :D

I want chocolate in but I can't it's just burning with that.

Realy harsh with ground vanilla and cacao. Headache instantly :(

EDIT

A bit funny for me but right now I'm about to make some teapastry tobacco. Strange thing but worth the try because all I want is thick true flavor molasses. 

What is tea pastry?

I cook a very strong tea filter out the tea stuff and cook it down to pastry so I can add it into my molasses. Small amounts - a teaspoon or sth like that. Oh that's so interesting right now what I do. Let's have a look what this time will happen. I write in days about this. :D

Edited by Dominik

Hello again

My tea paste, I hope paste is the right word now pastries I know now are something like cake or cookies. What I mean is paste. I hope thats the right word. Thick consistent stuff - paste.? xD

So back to tea paste tobacco. I cooked down about 50g of a tea called tropicana which is a fruits tea with a small amount of added aroma in 500ml water to paste. After getting the tea out what I did before actualy reducing all the water I added some other tropicana tea wich had a black tea as a base - black tea with aroma. I did that because black tea is bitter and thats good for getting more difference in the sweetness. At least that's what I think. Maybe I'm wrong.

What I had in the end was about two or three tablespoons of thick paste which was all sour bitter sweet and fruity. 

Than I mixed it up with glycerin and honey like this

50g tobacco

90g glycerin

20g honey

About 10 or 15g of this paste. Maybe twenty

And now it sits for six days and it's hard to wait begore I try. Every day it's smells better and it smells very likely at all. Nice.

Before I forget. To my Tobacco I added before the molasses came in a bit less than a half ml of star anise oil because it is very very sweet and good if you want it less harsh in smoke. Star anise oil is good stuff I think. Its flavour blended away in days - now you just smell it if you know that its in.

Greetings :)

New informations on top!

No. Not bad the tea paste idea. 

A bad idea was the black tea at all because you feel it on your tounges. That's no good. 

It is really tasty to do it like that. You must take care of your heatmanagement if you do it like that but if it's gettin harsh you just need to wait a few minutes and it's back goin good.

A teaspoon of this paste was a too small amount so I use more next time but now is time to wait until that project of traditional flavourings goes on because I got some things to do and no basma orient tobacco here. I think I do my fruits tobacco now only with the basma orient because it's a little bit buzzing and not harsh smoke. Virginia I used is 'not buzzing'/'not buzzing me nice so that's a waste for me.

All in all a good try and I'm writing on here if the day of the next try has come.

Greetings :)

I'm happy to here from you too diy shishalover ;)

The german guy... xD

• 4 weeks later...

Hey
So right now I bought a little strange or I better say tobacco I didn't know yet - I bought half a kilo to a kilo of a burley comes from italy. Very very aromatic with lots of different smells in. There is a scent of mint there is a scent of cacso and a scent of something that is not a piss - I can't give a word for that smell. Once I bought a kentucky tobacco and it was near to the smell I can't describe maybe you call it nuttie (but it doesn't smell like nuts smell I don't know).
I'm going to give it a chance and I mix it up as a quarter in my shisha with virginia mix.
I decided to add lot's of cacao as I found out you can use grounded cacao as cacaoflavour - it makes the smoke smooth by makin your lungs wider or something like that - tastes good in cigarettes I just tried before to be sure that it doesn't make my tobacco bad.

So here the little recipie for 250gr
20gr italien burley
65gr virginia
35gr honey
125gr glycerin
12gr cacao

I'll give you some feedback in a few weeks because I don't want to loose a word before it is a bit older than new.

• 3 weeks later...

So what I never knew is that I can give Tobacco a hard flavour/scent by just storing it with fragranceoil. Not adding fragranceoil just storing it near by - maybe in a closed box.

Edited by Dominik

On 1.3.2018 at 8:46 AM, Dominik said:

So what I never knew is that I can give Tobacco a hard flavour/scent by just storing it with fragranceoil. Not adding fragranceoil just storing it near by - maybe in a closed box.

On 2.3.2018 at 7:06 AM, Devika said:

How to make flavours taste sweet?? I almost tried everything but couldn’t make it. Can anyone help

First to what I said - yes you can, but you die. After three days it seems realy to be in the tobacco and that's no good.

How to sweeten up?

Add honey.

No sweet enaugh?

Add more honey.

If honey burns, use different setup with less heat. 

• 3 years later...