Harsh taste, How Do I get rid of it?!

So I just recently got ahold of a hookah and been enjoying it for the past two weeks with my roomies. I'm not sure if it comes with the territory but my hookah experience has been if-y.

It typically starts real smooth and tastey but towards the middle it gets harsh. Is this because its the ash produced by the coal...or the shisha ashing or...anything else? Anytime I go to the hookah bar, the smoke is smooth all the way through.

I've tried minimizing the ash/harsh taste with different things such as:

1)Packing the bowl with less shisha
2)More ice in the vase
3) Switched different coals from Golden Coals to 3 kings

I'm using a pharoh hookah from hookah and shisha central. I just got done with starbuzz watermelon with a three kings quickstart coal. In all honesty, I like the intial smoke I get with two coals but it gets harsh so quickly...what am i doing wrong?!

I'd say your problem is starting with 2 coals...
you are burning the top layer or tobacco too quickly. Thats why you are getting the harsh/burning tobacco taste quicker than you should. Try breaking your 3 kings into halves, placing 3 halves around the edges of the bowl. Work the coals toward the middle over time.

I use just one coal in the center. I realize that starting in the middle is unorthodox, but it seems to work just fine for a smaller bowl.

You may also be smoking too fast for your shisha. I'm not familiar with that brand, but I know some types of shisha are more tolerant of too much heat than are others.

-Paulson

Well ive definitely varied it with one or two coals...and its still nasty.

I'm definitely gonna try from the outside and move in when the coal cools down.

I've definitely done one coal in the middle and its still ashy/harsh.

Thanks for the advice!

I'm actually using one of those metal screens...do u think thats a factor?

[quote name='Onion']Try using a second layer of foil on the bowl. It seemed to cure what was ailing me[/quote]

But he's using a screen... But yes, foil is another alternative. Play with one layer, two layers, and heavy duty. Sometimes it helps, sometimes not.