Well guys, I've given up on Pimp Your Hookah, need advice

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='YuoGotOwn3d']Call him and find out whats up?  Maybe flat out ask him if you gonna get diddly and to let you know so you can say F it and move on.[/quote]

Incase you missed some of the OP and following posts, he did call, several times, and each time was given another excuse, but assured his prize would come soon.

[quote name='YuoGotOwn3d']yeah i read it but i meant to call again and find out if he is gonna get it since this guy made several excuses already.[/quote]

Yeah, I'm done. I wasn't even sure about sending this last e-mail, but I thought he should at least know how unhappy he has made a customer, in the hopes he might learn something from all of this. Calling doesn't work man... in fact, the last time I spoke to him on the phone, after getting whatever new excuse it was for the delay, he called me Chris before hanging up (I'm John). Yes, I know, if you have a lot a of customers, it is tough to keep track, but with something as personal as a custom designed hookah won in a contest, you'd think he knew (or cared) who he was speaking to.

Maybe he just feels he cannot commit to honouring the original 'competition deal' and has no intention
of following it through.

Who/where/how did you win it? Is it worth talking with the competition's organisers ?

Also maybe it's time to consider making a formal complaint to Him.

JD

[quote name='Johnny_D']Maybe he just feels he cannot commit to honouring the original 'competition deal' and has no intention
of following it through.

Who/where/how did you win it? Is it worth talking with the competition's organisers ?

Also maybe it's time to consider making a formal complaint to Him.

JD[/quote]

A few months ago Bilal at Pimp Your Hookah announced, both here and on his website, that he was giving away a custom hookah. He asked for people to send him e-mails saying why it was they thought they deserved to win. That was it. I sent him an e-mail explaining my shitty job (DON'T EVER BECOME A PIANO TEACHER. IT WILL EAT YOUR SOUL), and he called me not long after and talked to me about it, and then told me I had won. I WAS SO EXCITED! I was shaking when I was telling my wife about it. And that is where it all ended. After that it was like I explained in the OP.

There were no organizers for the competition, just Bilal and whoever else works with him, so really, I have no one else to contact about it. And as far as a formal complaint, it won't do any good. All I can really do is not ever shop with him again, and encourage anyone and everyone I know to avoid him as well. Maybe a Hookah Forum boycott? :D

[quote name='PersianPride']Piano teacher seems like a semi-noble occupation what with the giving kids the gift of music and other associated crap.[/quote]

Oh, the nobility is there. I put music on the highest of pedestals in my life next to my family. But damn, if you've never been there, I can't even begin to explain.

[quote name='Sonthert'][quote name='ioannisds']Maybe a Hookah Forum boycott? :D[/quote]

Sedition!

OK, I'm in...let's all boycot the Hookah Forum![/quote]

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Never! You guys are my only friends. :wink:

[quote name='ioannisds'][quote name='PersianPride']Piano teacher seems like a semi-noble occupation what with the giving kids the gift of music and other associated crap.[/quote]

Oh, the nobility is there. I put music on the highest of pedestals in my life next to my family. But damn, if you've never been there, I can't even begin to explain.[/quote]

Ah... I have a passion for music... Absolutely adore wind instruments, I play some woodwind and brass. I can only give you mad props for being a piano teacher because I could never EVER be any kind of a music teacher for a living... Just not my thing.

Hahaha, I'm wondering if Bilal is gonna pop back up after his site goes back up after Nov. 10th... if it actually goes up then....

[quote name='DizzyGuy']Ah... I have a passion for music... Absolutely adore wind instruments, I play some woodwind and brass.  I can only give you mad props for being a piano teacher because I could never EVER be any kind of a music teacher for a living...  Just not my thing.  

Hahaha, I'm wondering if Bilal is gonna pop back up after his site goes back up after Nov. 10th... if it actually goes up then....[/quote]

Yeah, I am actually having a bit of a personal crisis at the moment regarding my career choice. I love music, but teaching is sucking the life out of me... I also like to write. I dunno. I have a lot of shit I need to figure out for myself right now.

As far as Bilal, he's got to know what is going on here. I included a link to this thread in my final e-mail which he so conveniently ignored. I'm sure he'll either show up and pretend none of this ever happened, or forget about us and run his business without our support/suggestions/help (or lack thereof, in my case).

[quote name='ioannisds'][quote name='DizzyGuy']
Ah... I have a passion for music... Absolutely adore wind instruments, I play some woodwind and brass.  I can only give you mad props for being a piano teacher because I could never EVER be any kind of a music teacher for a living...  Just not my thing.  

Hahaha, I'm wondering if Bilal is gonna pop back up after his site goes back up after Nov. 10th... if it actually goes up then....[/quote]

Yeah, I am actually having a bit of a personal crisis at the moment regarding my career choice. I love music, but teaching is sucking the life out of me... I also like to write. I dunno. I have a lot of shit I need to figure out for myself right now.

As far as Bilal, he's got to know what is going on here. I included a link to this thread in my final e-mail which he so conveniently ignored. I'm sure he'll either show up and pretend none of this ever happened, or forget about us and run his business without our support/suggestions/help (or lack thereof, in my case).[/quote]

Any updates?

[quote name='Macho555']I wonder if PYH ever actually had one of the V6 hookahs he was always talking about. ;_; I was so looking forward to that...[/quote]

We'll see in a week... maybe.

[quote name='Macho555']I have an idea that he got screwed over somehow. When you give out free hookahs and such, I suppose being screwed isn't hard to do.[/quote]

You know, I have no doubt that something negative is going here, which I don't have a problem with. The problem I have is with the lies and BS I was fed there for a couple of months. If there was in fact shit going down for PYH, Bilal should have just shown some balls and fessed up to his problems, thus giving me an explanation for why I never got my prize.

Instead I got crap like "it's 70% done", "I'm taking it to the AA festival", "I'm in Egypt", "my partner forgot to send it out", etc, etc... Now I am on his ignore list. If he was just straight with me, at worst I would have been totally bummed out for not getting that cool hookah (like I am now). Maybe I would have even continued to shop through him once the disappointment wore off. I'm a pretty understanding guy, and I would have respected him just coming out with the truth.

As it has turned out however, I've not only been robbed of my winnings, but I've been jerked off and played for a fool. Now I'm not just totally bummed, but I'm also an irate lost customer, who will encourage those close to me and anyone who will listen to avoid the guy because of my treatment. You know how your parents always feed you that line about honesty being the best policy? Well, this is a perfect example of why they were right. If I had just received the straight story when it should have been given to me, we wouldn't be discussing this right now.

Forgive a long, rambling story, but I hope it might illustrate, it was told to me by Dr. "Harry" McCune:

When I was in Calcutta for supplies, we stopped at a photo store. I needed a very specific film for our trip, so I asked the clerk if he had it. He assured me that he did and went into the back room and came back several minutes later with the wrong film. I told him, no this is the wrong film and he apologized and went back into the storeroom. He came back several minutes later with a different type of film, still the wrong one. I told him this was incorrect again, he apologized and went back into the storeroom. After the fifth time he did this, I got frustrated and I went back outside and I exclamed to my partner "Is he stupid or just trying to rip me off?!" I then recounted the story. My partner [whom was Indian] said: no, he's neither. He doesn't have what you need and can't get it for you, he hoped you would understand and try another store...he felt to admit he didn't have it would be embarrassing to himself and to you."

Of course, what does this illustrate? I don't think Bilal had any more intention of pissing you off than the Indian shopkeeper did. His admission of the truth would embarrass himself and reduce him in your eyes, perhaps. How many Middle-Eastern business owners are there talking about how rich they are and how many cars they own ? (when we all know they're just average guys, like us) Pride and self-image are very different in Middle-Eastern culture. I would say don't judge him too harshly...you're not out anything. All's well, my friend.

heh we have something like that in Iran as well. Its called a tarouf where basically as a sign of courtesy and emphasis that someone is doing you a service you initial refuse something that you want/are entitled to. For example if your at a guests house and the person offers to make you lunch you refuse once or twice and then upon his insistance accept. A more extreme example of it happens in the bazaar where you go to pay for something and the shop keeper initially refuses to accept the money. Needless to say many a ignorant British tourist (for some reason their always British) has actually thought the shop keeper is giving them a gift and have walked out of the shop.

ghostofdavid: You know, I really don't NEED another hookah. I was really stoked to win something unique like the custom one from PYH, but it wasn't like I was hookah-less or anything. The one I won was going to have a Greek theme to it, with a Greek flag in crystal on the stem, and a base whose colors match the white and blue of the flag. I really liked how personal I was able to make the thing, and that was what excited me the most. If I'd won any old hookah, it would have been great, but not the same. I guess if he had sent me one of these though, I wouldn't complain :D :

[url="http://www.myasaray.com/store/item.asp?ITEM_ID=928&DEPARTMENT_ID=47"]http://www.myasaray.com/store/item.asp?ITE...EPARTMENT_ID=47[/url]

Mmmmmm. Black and gold. I'm so goddamn Greek.

mushrat: I'm right there with ya.

Sonthert: You'll always be Tangiers to me! Your story is a good one, and there is a lesson to be learned there. It's amazing how differently cultures will approach situations like this. For example, in Greece and and many other countries, if you don't at least TRY and bargain for what you are shopping for, they will think you're a dipshit. And yeah, I'm still whole in this situation, as I never spent any money on this, and I've lost nothing. This is America though, and I'm still pissed :evil: .