Cigars

nuschultz

[quote name='ImTired']I am a noob when it comes to cigars, but I like Ashton's Cabinet; they're a good, mild smoke. When looking for cigars, consider that tobacco from different regions will taste, pull, and burn differently. Also, be careful about counterfeits, especially Cohiba.[/quote]

Very true

Cohibas are the most commenly faked Cuban cigar that is sold out there.

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='ksblazer'][quote name='ImTired']I am a noob when it comes to cigars, but I like Ashton's Cabinet; they're a good, mild smoke. When looking for cigars, consider that tobacco from different regions will taste, pull, and burn differently. Also, be careful about counterfeits, especially Cohiba.[/quote]

Very true

Cohibas are the most commenly faked Cuban cigar that is sold out there.[/quote]
Particularly their Siglo IV.

I haven't been around these forums in a bit... The last cigar I smoked was one of my aged Partagas Blacks, and it was terrific. Looks like I'm giving the cigars a rest for the winter though, it's just too cold.

[quote name='worr lord']I haven't been around these forums in a bit... The last cigar I smoked was one of my aged Partagas Blacks, and it was terrific. Looks like I'm giving the cigars a rest for the winter though, it's just too cold.[/quote]

Partagas Black Labels are kickass, great smokes. Today was a good smoking day for me, had a Davidoff Grand Cru No 1 and a VSG Torpedo.

Yes be wary of Cohibas, never buy a box of "glasstop" Cohibas off the street in Meh-hee-ko, there's really no such thing as actual glasstops.

I'm a fan of almost anything Ashton :). Not so much a Davidoff lover, though. They're (Davidoff) good cigars, but somewhat hard to find, and I have yet to smoke one that makes me say "wow".

Ah, but one of the best things about cigars is that it's 100% personal preference

My favorite has always been [b]davidoff double R's[/b]. THey are the largest cigars and I find the smoke and flavor is best that way... maybe like the larger the hookah the smoother the smoke.

Romeo E' Julieta it very popular and come with a large selection of flavors, boldness, and sizes. It's generally considered a great beginners cigar.

If you aren't used to cigar smoking you might want to start out trying a nice flavored cigar, such as: vanilla or cherry. This may help give the additional flavor an innexperienced cigar smoker may enjoy. I don't have a good brand recommendation on this as I don't usually smoke this king of cigar; but, you should be able to get an honest suggestion from a reputable cigar shop.

While smoking a cigar, its best to enjoy a fine beer or ale (something rich in flavor) or liquor. Brandy is popular. If starting with a liqour or brandy, dip the tip you are inhailing from in the drink.

• 1 month later...
I believe you're referring to the 7.5" x 50 Double R, which is nothing more than an average "Churchill" size. The reason for cooler smoke with a larger cigar is that the smoke passes through more tobacco, which almost acts like a filter. If you're looking for a larger cigar with plenty of flavor, try a CAO Brazilia Amazon, they're 6" x 60 Maduro monsters.

I see absolutely no point in flavored cigars, unless you're just looking to try something "fun" at a party or whatever. Flavor wise, they don't compare even slightly to normal cigars, so I don't understand why one would smoke one if they're interested in a real cigar. But they're a popular item nonetheless, so obviously my opinion on the matter doesn't mean much smile.gif

I see nothing wrong with enjoying a nice stout or whiskey with a cigar, though you have to pair them wisely. A Sierra Nevada Celebration Ale and a Montecristo White just don't work, seeing as the drink overpowers the cigar, usually people pick something that can both cleanse your palate, and compliment the subtle flavors found in the particular cigar. Unless you're talking about LIGHTLY moistening an uncut capa with your drink, the tobacco will soak up the liquid which can have a drastic effect on the draw.

I definitely agree with you about Romeo y Julieta though. I typically recommend an 1875 Clemenceau as a first smoke, seeing as it's a fairly mild smoke with good flavor, RyJ has excellent construction consistency, so the chances of a bad draw are pretty low considering most new smokers don't have a humidor to let them settle in for a few months.

I'll post recent pictures of my stash in a bit, nothing special. Lately I haven't been smoking too much (weather), so I haven't had a reason to replenish my "stock". I did however run out to the shop yesterday to say "hi", and ended up getting a few sticks (a few Sosa, Bolivar, Gurkha, and he gave me a freebie they rolled in the back of the shop)

The only good way to find out what you like in a cigar is to just go to a store and talk to the person working behind the counter. I would also start out with a milder cigar, to actually see if you like it or not. My first stick was some sort of ashton, it was relatively cheap, $5 i think. another one that i really enjoyed was a la vieja habana from drew estate. I can't remember what i paid for it, but it was awesome.

if you decide you want to get some more cigars and keep them on hand in a humidor, check out cigarsinternational.com

they have some good sampler packs and deals that come with humidors. granted, they're not top of the line humidors, but they'll work. i paid about $70 for 20 good cigars and a 20 capacity humidor. this came with graycliffs, montecristos, gurkhas, gisperts, RyJs, and a bunch of others.

btw, for non-cubans, out of the ones that i have smoked, i like graycliffs the best. they can get pretty expensive, coming in at at least $200 a box... usually more.

if u want a balla cigar you wil grt an avo 80

they run for about 14-17 bucks, taste great, and will make your lip numb

they are rare and hard to find at most ciagar shops but if you find a nice stor they will hold this cigar and i garentee they will say it is one of their favorites

I honestly haven't had a good RyJ... i don't know why, but every time i have one there seems to be some issue that comes up. A few other people have noticed this too... leads me to believe that they are over rated.

my personal favs include montecristo whites, 5 vegas, 5 vegas gold, and the graycliffs i mentioned earlier... although i've only had one blend it was great... i believe it was the purple label.

What's been wrong with the RyJ(s) you've tried? Are you letting them rest in your humidor for a few months before smoking?

QUOTE (SanguineSolitude @ Dec 17 2006, 10:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
i went to my local cigar lounge yesterday and had a macanudo gold label. damn was it good. smooth creamy smoke and a great draw. very pleasant.

Aye, my friend loves Macanudos.

And please guys, don't buy humidors online. You're taking a huge chance on getting one with a bad seal or just overall poor quality. Go to a cigar shop and inspect the exact one you're going to buy, and buy it there. Also, just because you only keep 5 cigars on-hand now, doesn't mean you won't want to keep cigars for long periods of time later on. When you decide to buy a humidor, buy around a 50 cigar sized box, you don't want to outgrow your first humidor in a matter of weeks.

Very light bodied cigar (not to be confused with light flavor), relatively complex earthy, creamy smoke with notes of wood (I'm no good at picking out or describing particular wood flavors, sorry). Every one I've had has been a pleasure to smoke with an even burn and consistent flavor, similar in body to a Montecristo White Court.

Basically, it's a great light cigar, but I wouldn't recommend it to someone who has never smoked before. Newer smokers typically can't appreciate complex cigars for all that they offer

It should be tasty. For starter cigars, you just want to go with something light in body. To the unseasoned palate, heavier cigars will just leave you with a nasty tar flavor and a nasty nicotine buzz. Hampton courts are fine, as long as you understand you probably aren't experiencing it to it's fullest potential smile.gif

Just a quick question?

What is your New Years cigar going to be?

I plan on smoking some hookah before the new year, but come midnight. It's time to break out the cigar biggrin.gif

I plan on smoking either a Bolivar corona Gigante or either a Trinidad Fundadore smile.gif Cuban of course

Time to smoke your best, to start out the New Years right. Edited by ksblazer

QUOTE (worr lord @ Dec 18 2006, 08:52 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
What's been wrong with the RyJ(s) you've tried? Are you letting them rest in your humidor for a few months before smoking?

QUOTE (SanguineSolitude @ Dec 17 2006, 10:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
i went to my local cigar lounge yesterday and had a macanudo gold label. damn was it good. smooth creamy smoke and a great draw. very pleasant.

Aye, my friend loves Macanudos.

And please guys, don't buy humidors online. You're taking a huge chance on getting one with a bad seal or just overall poor quality. Go to a cigar shop and inspect the exact one you're going to buy, and buy it there. Also, just because you only keep 5 cigars on-hand now, doesn't mean you won't want to keep cigars for long periods of time later on. When you decide to buy a humidor, buy around a 50 cigar sized box, you don't want to outgrow your first humidor in a matter of weeks.

Nice cutter biggrin.gif

Looks like a Xikar, I have one and love it. Plus they have the best customer service.

Also if your interested in a Humidor, Check out cheaphumidors.com Edited by ksblazer

I was in the cigar shop near me the other day (where I buy some hookah tobacco too) with my friend, because he'd never been in a smoke shop. They actually were about to close, so they asked us to leave. But I kind of wanted to try a cigar. I had one once, I think it was called Don Pablo? It was pretty rank...guessing it wasn't a good one.