Cigars

nuschultz

I see what you mean, and I can certainly appreciate the cooler smoke that a large cigar yields. I guess I just don't enjoy cigars enough to smoke one for two hours. Then again, this is coming from someone who prefers Black and Milds to anything else. :P

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's nice to see some cigar smokers here as well. Cigars were my first passion until I discovered Hookah.

As others mentioned Cigars pack way more of a nicotine buzz than hookah. In fact the only real Hookah buzz I've ever had was a light one after a 45 in session.

While some poeple do inhale cigar smoke, I would not recomend it. Very hard on my lungs in the mourning when I did.

Like others said stay away from non Cohibas as they got their reputation from the Cuban line not the Dominican line. Davidoffs have never impressed me either.

Before I converted to the Darkside I smoked mostly Fuentes, La Unica & Torrano's.

not all light colored cigars are light. I had one recently, can't remember the name, that was reccomended by the guy at my favorite cigar shop. It was a natural wrapper, but it was mighty potent. Amazing cigar though, I will deffinitley have to get another.

[quote name='Joseph']not all light colored cigars are light.  I had one recently, can't remember the name, that was reccomended by the guy at my favorite cigar shop.  It was a natural wrapper, but it was mighty potent.  Amazing cigar though, I will deffinitley have to get another.[/quote]

Very true

I used to think that when I first started out as well. Cuban Bolivars usually come with lighter shade wrappers, but they are some of the strongest cigars out there IMO.

Very good points. H. Uppmann's "Vintage Cameroon" is a wolf in sheeps clothing, as far as strength goes. It's easier for newer smokers to give them a general idea to shoot for, rather than having them go into a shop and buying the biggest name with the biggest price tag.

I've got 3 Partagas Black Labels aging in my humidor right now, they've got ~6 months on them currently.

I didn't mean to say that DR Cohiba doesn't make a good cigar, I'm saying they're overpriced. If they were in the $5 range I'd be all over them, but $12 for a Corona is just too much. Davidoff cigars are too light for my taste, I really can't taste them at all after smoking my heavier Maduros like I do.

You definately don't want to be inhaling cigar smoke. The nicotine is absorbed through the roof of your mouth, and that alone can be enough to throw some people for a really bad nicotine high. I hate seeing new smokers waste their money on something too strong, you need to build yourself up

go to your local cigar shop and get their advice, then it is really personal preference. I cannot stand some cigars that others love, basically find a few cigars you like and stick wiht them, then branch out and try more

[quote name='Joseph']I don't have a humidor, so I smoke cigars the day I buy them.[/quote]
Nothing wrong with that. A bit of advice though, it's perfectly fine to buy a few tubed cigars (open the tubes in-store to check the quality of the cigars), and as long as you keep the tubes tight, they should hold the humidity for a good week, before I bought my first humi I did that (only kept them for 3 days, to be safe).

Glass, corked, and then waxed tubes can keep indefinitely.

[quote name='Oggie505']go to your local cigar shop and get their advice, then it is really personal preference.  I cannot stand some cigars that others love, basically find a few cigars you like and stick wiht them, then branch out and try more[/quote]

That's right smoke what you like and like what you smoke. Also be cautious of some shops sometimes they steer you to cigars that make them the most profit. This was very common during the boom in the mid to late 90's.

Trust me, it's always worth spending an extra $4 to try something completely different, as long as it appears to be of quality. You may find something amazing for a great deal, if not, you have more smoking experience and can say "yeah, I've tried ____"

Thats what I love about the shop I go to. If I want a reccomindation I describe what I like, and the first question they ask me is "what price range?" Then reccomend the cigars that fit my preferance and are high quality in the range I have said. I usually go for cigars taht are between $7-$10.

I don't smoke many Macanudos... They're great cigars, but too light for what I'm used to. But they're definately a great stick, they're blended nicely and complex enough to keep any smoker busy.

The only thing I don't like about the Hampton Courts specifically is the ring gauge. If they made a 54+, I'd be all over it.

okay for the record swisher sweets black and milds those garcia vega things that are found at your local seven eleven are not cigars

if you want to get into cigar smoking go to a real tobacco shop (if you buy your hookah supplies at a store that might sell cigars)

and explain that you would like to try smoking a cigar and the propritor will set you up with a nice first cigar within about a $5 to $7 range and you can decide whether or not you like it and if you do enjoy return to the store and most cigar store owners recognize freequent customers and treat them well as a sort of far family

I smokes cigars for years, so i would not mess up my lungs for workingout
If you Inhale a cigar, you might just shit yourself from the shock to your body, Anyway, I gave um up for my hookah, but sometimes Ill have one, I get mine at stags' tobbaco, they have all kinds. And like someone said, dont buy gas station cigars unless its for a blunt. I like a Leathery taste, it an acquired taste. And they can give a buzz that will make you spin if you just started smoking um, so don't over do it. HA HA I live in New Mexico, near the boarder, so we get are fair share of cubans, and yes they are better than a legal cigar, hope you get to try one. :wink:

• 2 weeks later...
[quote name='ksblazer']As others mentioned Cigars pack way more of a nicotine buzz than hookah. In fact the only real Hookah buzz I've ever had was a light one after a 45 in session.[/quote]
I smoke alot of really strong cigars (Opus, VSG), and have only had a very light buzz. I never feel anything with a mild or medium smoke. Basically I smoke cigars for taste, appreciation of fine tobacco, and I have shisha for the buzz. Granted, I only smoke unwashed shisha.

[quote]Like others said stay away from non Cohibas as they got their reputation from the Cuban line not the Dominican line. Davidoffs have never impressed me either.[/quote]
Dominican Cohiba is decent quality, but pricey and underwhelming. Davidoff, on the otherhand, is top notch, and my number one favorite brand. When starting out, try Romeo y Julieta, Padron 1000 line Maduros, Camacho, ect. When you want to move up to some pricier smokes, here's a short list of my favorites...

Davidoff 4000, Davidoff Grand Cru, Davidoff No 2, Davidoff Diademas Finas, Davidoff Double <R>, Davidoff Special <B>, Romeo y Julieta Vintage, Peterson Gran Reserva, Fuente Anejo, Fuente Fuente Opus X, Padron 1926 Maduro, Padron 1964 Maduro, Diamond Crown Maduro, Partagas Black Label, Ashton Virgin Sun Grown

I work in a tobacco shop and the ones I like best are

Arturo Fuente - Hemmingway short stories =)
CAO - Acid 5 , aged natural
Drew Estate Natural
Macanudo Robusto

I generally smoke mid to light bodied cigars they are a rare occassion for when Im not puffing on a bowl of pipe tobacco. I also highly recommend ashton VSG's but they haven't been through lately.

[quote="Krautle87"][quote=ksblazer]
As others mentioned Cigars pack way more of a nicotine buzz than hookah. In fact the only real Hookah buzz I've ever had was a light one after a 45 in session.[/quote]
I smoke alot of really strong cigars (Opus, VSG), and have only had a very light buzz. I never feel anything with a mild or medium smoke. Basically I smoke cigars for taste, appreciation of fine tobacco, and I have shisha for the buzz. Granted, I only smoke unwashed shisha.

End quote.

(ksblazer)
Thats funny we are about the opposite. One of the best buzz's I've ever had was from my first Opus. I really didn't notice it until I stood up and bam the nicotine hit me. I almost stumbled into the guy sitting beside me and I staggered to the bathroom to put some cold water on my face. Then went back and finished it off.

VSG gave me a light buzz as well. But nothing out of the ordinary like the mighty Opus did that night.

If you are looking for a good buzz give a Cuban Punch Petite Corona Del Punch or a Punch Super Selection #2 a try. Cuban Cohibas and Bolivars are good strong cigars as well. :twisted:

Unless I take a long break from smoking cigars (a couple of months) I really don't get all that buzzed anymore though.

I am a noob when it comes to cigars, but I like Ashton's Cabinet; they're a good, mild smoke. When looking for cigars, consider that tobacco from different regions will taste, pull, and burn differently. Also, be careful about counterfeits, especially Cohiba.