Cigars

nuschultz

Ok, so, I am thinking of a venture into the wonderful world of Cigars. What is the proper smoking technique? Deep inhale? Just the mouth?

What do u guys think?

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What he said, Cigars taste a lot more powerful than hookah....LOOOOOOTS.
If you inhale a cigar you will cough like you wouldnt believe.
I'm not a big fan of cigars, they have a gross after taste. It tastes like....well....this is gross but the only thing i can really compare it to is going down on a chick that isn't super fresh, or like rotten shit. Lol. But a lot of people get use to it, or dont taste it if they smoke alot.

A good cigar with very little vagina taste is a Maduro. Really mild, but still pungent. I can actually smoke these without getting grossed out.

Becareful, you can get mega buzzed off cigars as well and it is no fun. You feel like you are sinking into the floor.

It kind of seems over dramatic I guess. It's fun, give it a shit. I mean shot.

Never, EVER buy cigars at a drugstore, or any brand you could have found at a drug store. Go to a real tobacco shop, talk to the guy or woman behind the counter and tell him what you are looking for and let him guid you to a good selection. Black and milds are terrible, and aren;t really cigars. They are a glorified cigarette. I would say a Romeo y Julieta is a good first cigar, it was my first and although it wasn;t nearly full bodied or strong enough, it was a good place to start. Better for your first cigar to be a tad mild than too strong and scare you away from cigars forever.

Yeah, tell that to the guy at the tobacco store. At all the tobacco shops I have been to the people working there have always been happy to reccomend something. Just describe what you are looking for and they will help you out. Just stay FAR FAR FAR away from drug store/grocery store cigars. If you can get it at a minute mart, it is crap

Yeah, lifes too short to smoke cheap/bad cigars.

I used to be a much more avid cigar smoker, but since I moved into this new house.. smoking of sticks inside is prohibited under penalty of
of Spousal Law.

I If I were to do it all over again. I probably would have started with a small humidor... a 25 or 30 stick box. I got a 100. I'll never fill it..... and that has made keeping up the humidity a problem. Definatley get a wooden Humi of some sort... even a few hours just laying out will zap a cigar depending on climate.

As for cigar recommendations? Well I can tell you what I think is the best..... but I can rarely aford what I LOVE to smoke..... so I find cheaper ones that have qualities of the ones I LOVE and I dont get seperation anxiety everytime I smoke.

I would say that you should find a size that you like. Experiment with that. Also, pick out a variety of Connecticut wrapped and Maduro wrapped.. see which you prefer taste wise. The real thing is where the tobacco was grown and how it was processed. Common cigar regions are Dominican Republic, Honduras and Nicaragua. Of course, there Cuba.. but if you live in the States and arent willing to pay the prices and dodge all the fakery, then I'd put those out of your mind.

as for sticks themselves. Ive broken it down as to the ones I have enjoyed.

Bankbreakers:

Padron 1964 Series
Arturo Fuente Opus X

Middle of the Road:

Joya De Nicaragua (any)
Sancho Panza (maduros )
Cusano 18 (with the light wrapper)
Carlos Torano Silver Aniversary and 1916 Camaroon
Rocky Patel "Edge"
Indian Tabac Toro Grande-Baboon Maduro. (theres a big smoke)

Bargains:

Hampton Arms Churchill bundles (found at Sam's Club.. no shit. Nicaraguan.... smooth, rich. runs with the big boys IMHO)

I enjoy the occasional cigar.

A good, "real" cigar (don't inhale, only available at cigar shops, etc.): Davidoff cigarillos, though any Davidoff is worth a try.

As far as "fake" cigars go, I prefer Black and Milds. A lot of people bash them, but they're cheap, you can inhale without coughing up a lung, and they taste pretty good, at least relative to other gas station tobacco.

Are you looking to try normal cigars, or flavored cigars?

"normal" i would recommend a CAO Odyssey a lil pricey (about 15 bucks) but a damn fine smoke! i'm not too into the normal type..so my recomendations are limited here.

"Flavored" Two words... Heaven Dreamsicle...my all time fave. Also you cant go wrong with CAO Moontrance, or CAO Eileen's Dream. If you want to try something a lil different Drew Estate ACID's are pretty good...the Drew Estate Kaluha series is also quite good...nice flavor and very aromatic!

I've got roughly 10 different brands currently in my humidor, ranging from RyJ (Romeo y Julieta) to Juan Lopez. If you're looking to buy cigars, there are some easy things to look for. First is strength of the cigar, you don't want to start with a cigar that's too strong, or the nicotine will knock you off you ass. As a general rule, darker cigars are stronger, and light cigars are milder.

Don't be fooled when people talk about how "Cubans" are the only cigars worth smoking, there are legal cigars to be had that are just as good. Alot of people waste money just buying big brands such as Davidoff and Cohiba, both are fine smokes, but neither are worth $12-$20 a stick, unless just to say you tried it.

If you're looking to start somewhere, go to your local tobacconist/NICE cigar shop, and ask for these cigars:
Montecristo White court
Hoyo de Monterrey governors (ask him for an "EMS", this will be the lighter colored one)
Romeo y Julieta Churchill en Tubo
Arturo Fuente curly head

Don't waste your money on a $10 cigar, or a dark cigar (may be known as Maduro or Oscuro wrappers), you won't be able to enjoy it as the roller intended, and the darker cigar will just leave the taste of tar in your mouth.

[img]http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d111/worrlordthefirst/IMG_4316.jpg[/img]
[img]http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d111/worrlordthefirst/IMG_4318.jpg[/img]
'Premium' smokes (CAO Brazillia Amazons) on the bottom right, everyday JR brands on the bottom left.

I wrote this while making lunch before work, so ALOT of things are left out. If you have any questions on specific cigars, humidors, lighters, etc. feel free to PM me, or get me on AIM (DaaaveP)

Nice collection! I agree that Davidoffs are generally pricey. I recommnded the cigarillos because I enjoy a shorter cigar-smoking session and you can get a whole tin for about eight bucks.

[quote name='Thepeug']Nice collection!  I agree that Davidoffs are generally pricey.  I recommnded the cigarillos because I enjoy a shorter cigar-smoking session and you can get a whole tin for about eight bucks.[/quote]

Damn! 8 bucks? thats cheap around here in the DFW area tins usually are about 12-15 bucks!

[quote name='No Show']Damn!  8 bucks?  thats cheap around here in the DFW area tins usually are about 12-15 bucks![/quote]

I'm sure it varies slightly by location. The $8 tin was from a tiny cigar shop in Maine, so it may not reflect prices at larger retailers.

Nice guys. I generally stay away from cigarillos because they tend to get hot on me. If I have 20 minutes for a smoke, I take out my hookah. If I've got a good hour, I'll go out on the porch with a JW Black scotch and the laptop.

Of course, I usually don't smoke smaller ring gauge cigars. The Amazons I smoke alot are 6x60 monsters, which makes for a cooler smoke and a slower burn