Do you think I'll enjoy hookah?

Hey all,

I've been vaping for a bit but I don't use nicotine as I don't want to get addicted. A friend of mine suggested we go to a hookah lounge for our birthdays (we're a few days apart) I agreed and invited my other friend. There's a total of three of us going. So if anyone can break down hookah into idiot terms since I'm not sure what I'm getting into. Don't get me wrong, I don't mind trying out new things. But I don't want it to end up being a habit. So like I said I vape. Is there any sort of similarities between the two? Is there nicotine in hookah? Is there flavors? Also my friend who suggested this idea went to this place before. He said it's $10 a person. So does that mean I pay $10 and I'm good for the night? As you can tell I'm really new to this so if anyone could break everything I need to know down that'd be great! Another thing. If I happen to vape with nicotine, the second I feel the throat hit I stop inhaling. So will I get a harsh hit? Or is it smooth?

All depends on the hookah bar. MAKE SURE YOU STAY HYDRATED. People new to hookah aren't used to the co2 levels from the charcoal. This can lead to a bad buzz and feeling sick. Adiquite hydration will settle this for you. 

There are flavors. There are non-tobacco hookah stuffs. It's general concensus that non-tobacco hookahs suck. The only one that I thought was ok was the shiazo steam stones. I highly recommend just finding a good flavored tobacco.

And ya, there's nicotine, but I've never meant someone literally addicted to hookah with the nicotine. The addictive part, if at all (like no nicotine vape) is the enjoyable experience. I smoked cigarettes 12 years, 3 packs a day towards the end. Hookah never was a craving, even now as three years cigarette free. Some times a smoke daily (college, when I had money), sometimes it's weekends only. Sometimes I go a month or two until my next hookah session. The nicotine really just provides an element to the session. It can be something to the complexity of the flavor/tobacco (read up on different product lines of tangiers to further understand), or just catching a buzz. But it should not create an addiction.

There is a chance of heaviness in the chest the next day, it fades fast and is nothing like smoking cigarettes or cigars, which are more long term. If lounge screws up packing the bowl and/or managing the heat (only should happen if it's someone inexperienced), it could burn the tobacco and be a negative experience. Maybe tell your waiter it's your first time and ask if they could handle the coal shift for you (they commonly leave you tongs to occasionally flip and shift the coals). Maybe look over the menu and find some flavors that sound good to you and ask for their recommendation.

As for prices, each lounge has different charging systems. Might be $10 per hookah. Chances are they are using a regular bowl and you'll get 90 mins per hookah bowl session.

Again, I'm a fellow vaper. I used to heavily smoke cigs whilst also being a hookah smoker. The only negative effect I get now, after 3 years cig free, is I tend to get real tired and/or weak after a long hookah session.

I go back and forth between 0,3,and 6 nicotine on my dripper box mod, all depends on my stress. I just had two weeks nicotine free recently, but now am at 3 (I doubled a 6 juice with pure vg, I'm poor lol)...they actually do make vape heads for hookahs, if that interests you. Most of them are not diy, you have to buy their replacement cartridges. I did see one at a local lounge that runs on an 18650, build your own coils, and refill with your own juice. Expensive, sounds neat, but seems impractical when I could just have a regular hookah lol.

Hope this helps. Good luck.

Please let us know how it goes, even if you think you'll never touch it again. Would love to hear your experience. 

• Upvote 1

21 hours ago, r1v3th3ad said:

All depends on the hookah bar. MAKE SURE YOU STAY HYDRATED. People new to hookah aren't used to the co2 levels from the charcoal. This can lead to a bad buzz and feeling sick. Adiquite hydration will settle this for you. 

There are flavors. There are non-tobacco hookah stuffs. It's general concensus that non-tobacco hookahs suck. The only one that I thought was ok was the shiazo steam stones. I highly recommend just finding a good flavored tobacco.

And ya, there's nicotine, but I've never meant someone literally addicted to hookah with the nicotine. The addictive part, if at all (like no nicotine vape) is the enjoyable experience. I smoked cigarettes 12 years, 3 packs a day towards the end. Hookah never was a craving, even now as three years cigarette free. Some times a smoke daily (college, when I had money), sometimes it's weekends only. Sometimes I go a month or two until my next hookah session. The nicotine really just provides an element to the session. It can be something to the complexity of the flavor/tobacco (read up on different product lines of tangiers to further understand), or just catching a buzz. But it should not create an addiction.

There is a chance of heaviness in the chest the next day, it fades fast and is nothing like smoking cigarettes or cigars, which are more long term. If lounge screws up packing the bowl and/or managing the heat (only should happen if it's someone inexperienced), it could burn the tobacco and be a negative experience. Maybe tell your waiter it's your first time and ask if they could handle the coal shift for you (they commonly leave you tongs to occasionally flip and shift the coals). Maybe look over the menu and find some flavors that sound good to you and ask for their recommendation.

As for prices, each lounge has different charging systems. Might be $10 per hookah. Chances are they are using a regular bowl and you'll get 90 mins per hookah bowl session.

Again, I'm a fellow vaper. I used to heavily smoke cigs whilst also being a hookah smoker. The only negative effect I get now, after 3 years cig free, is I tend to get real tired and/or weak after a long hookah session.

I go back and forth between 0,3,and 6 nicotine on my dripper box mod, all depends on my stress. I just had two weeks nicotine free recently, but now am at 3 (I doubled a 6 juice with pure vg, I'm poor lol)...they actually do make vape heads for hookahs, if that interests you. Most of them are not diy, you have to buy their replacement cartridges. I did see one at a local lounge that runs on an 18650, build your own coils, and refill with your own juice. Expensive, sounds neat, but seems impractical when I could just have a regular hookah lol.

Hope this helps. Good luck.

Please let us know how it goes, even if you think you'll never touch it again. Would love to hear your experience. 

Hey, I went to the hookah lounge and loved it. It was a smooth inhale and exhale. I thought it'd be harsh. I actually want to buy one for myself haha

• 2 weeks later...