Favorite Mix Review

mushrat

This is my Four A.M. blend because that's when my sleeping pills wore off and I decided to get up and mix some shisha and so Four A.M. is what I'm calling it.

Before going to bed last night I just threw together some Nakhla Earl Grey, Golden Rose, and Jasmine and the result was simply delightful. But I knew I could do it better.

I prefer to mix regular AF Rose with Nakhla, it blends better and adds sweetness, kills the soapiness of the Earl Gray, and does it without being overpowering. But I'm out of it. If I'm using AF Rose, I can use more of it. Golden Rose is strong enough that it requires less in this mix, at least to my personal tastes.

Generally when I mix shisha I like to let it sit overnight before smoking it so all the flavors can homogenize but I had no time for this this morning. I settled for mixing it very well with my hand-a pain but totally worth the mess. A chopstick does a fantastic job of getting the initial blending started, by the way. Doesn't kick as much out of the container.

Here's the blend I came up with, it's really very very nice. Can't wait to see how it tastes after it's had time to "marry up."

I got out my little ounce scale so I wouldn't be guessing. It's hard to just guess with shish. A scale is a must if you really want to get a good blend and standardize it, in my opinion.

Here's what I mixed.

1 oz. AF Golden Rose (would have used 1.5 to 2 oz. if I'd just had the regular rose)
2 oz. Nakhla Jasmine a.k.a Jessamine
1.5 oz. Nakhla Earl Gray

The smell of this stuff after it's mixed is delightful, reminds me a tiny bit of Mixed Fruit Fakhfakhina, but only a bit.

The taste is fantastic. The Golden Rose is still a bit stronger than I like, but it might mellow by tomorrow. If not, I'll up the Jasmine and Grey each by a half ounce.

This was double wrapped in HD foil to protect the AF from burning. And because I'm using Diamante coals, which love to drop heavy chunks of ash, I only put holes through the middle third of the bowl, all the way across. Large holes poked with a toothpick towards the outer portion, smaller holes poked with a thumb tack in the center. Letting the diamante coal (a whole 3/4's of a chunk) get hot enough that it's flaming makes it very easy to split right in half with a poker. Sometimes a stress fracture will form right along the length of a Diamante when it's hot enough making splitting it oh so easy, didn't happen tonight but it still split quite easily--no crumbling. I laid the flat side down of each half on the portions of the foil that had no holes. This alone improved the flavor. I like Diamante, but it does impart a slight taste to shisha which is mild enough that I can ignore it, but by gods I'm determined to get rid of that taste all together. This method is totally working towards that end.

I don't tend to like fruit flavors so I experiment a lot with mixing flavors like Arabian Coffee, the floral flavors, and the somewhat citrus/soapy Earl Grey.

So far, this is one of my favorite mixes. Didn't think anything could beat my Nakhla Early Gray/AF Rose mix, but this beats it hands down. I'm in love.

I've been smoking it for about 15 minutes now and the AF Golden is mellowing even as I smoke it. The buzz is considerable. Maybe it will relax me enough to go back to sleep for a few hours!!! Edited by Genie

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nakhla's GuavaMelon

60% Mizo Guava + 40% Mizo Watermelon (75/25, if you prefer a less upfront sweetness)

In my opinion, its basically a better Tangiers Summer Solstice. You get the tropical floral flavor of the Guava, but the extreme sweetness of the Watermelon seems to round out the back end of the inhale. The Watermelon kind of pushes it from a natural guava flavor to more of a guava nectar flavor.

It would make a nice summery smoke...with a nice glass of lemonade.

Slightly floral, slightly tart, slightly sweet and very tropical. The best flavor mix in my stash!

• 2 weeks later...
POMEGRANATE/GRAPE

I used Layalina, but I'm sure any brand will be good with this mix.
I am not a fan of grape by itself, (too sweet and a little
"pedestrian") nor of Pomegranate (not sweet enough and tangy), but THIS mix is AMAZING! Each flavor brings out the best in the other. It is such a great marriage of flavors. For the perfect balance, I recommend a heavier load of pomegranate.

Mizo Watermelon/Layalina Strawberry

Mizo Watermelon is a little too strong for me, Laylina strawberry is a little weak.
The two together are right amount of "buzzzzzz!" and the flavor is
amazing! Maybe a little too sweet for some, but very pleasant and
smooth. About perfect by going half and half.

Layalina Golden Chocolate Strawberry/Layalina Rose

This is my "romantic" girly mix! laugh.gif Kind of sweet, pretty aromatic, but REALLY good! I really like the way rose flavors/sweetens up/evens some "dark" flavors like chocolate and coffee. I tried this mix a long time ago,butI still remember it and want to do it again!

• 4 weeks later...
Honey Lemon

Bowl: Standard Egyptian bowl
Coal: Al Manera natural formed and pressed coal
Fluid in base: Water

1/2 Al Waha Lemon
1/2 King Moassel's Honey

Mix these a couple of days in advance before your smoke session. Store in a dark place at room temp so the juices can come together. It makes for a flavourful smoke,tastes, and smells just like a Hall's honey and lemon flavoured cough drop (minus the menthol)!

• 1 year later...
I found a new concoction the other day. I normally don't smoke DA flavors, but I decided to try Al Baraka's herbal Double Apple mixed with Al Baraka herbal Mint. WOW! Nice cooling effect and it reduced the small bit of Anise in there to tolerable levels. I used about 90% Double Apple and 10% Mint. I call it Applemint. I'm not likely to buy Mint on it's own again because it's strong, but it mixes really nice with DA. I am sure I am not the only person to try this. If you do, use only a smidgen of the mint as the Mint flavor of Al Baraka is 100% real peppermint and very strong.

• 1 month later...
70% Nakhla Double Apple
15% Nak Scherazade Cinnamon (strong so don't mix too much!!!)

Very nice, with a slight tingle from the Cinnamon.

[quote name='Jesse' timestamp='1300747074' post='502317']
70% Nakhla Double Apple
[/quote]

mmm where lost another 15%?

• 11 months later...
[color=#ff0000][size=5]Al-Fazal Kashmir Peach.[/size][/color]

Al fakher Peach: 95%
Afzal Bombay Pan Masala: 5%

Of course, having never tried Kashmir Peach, I cannot comment on whether the Kashmir part is correct, but since Kashmir is a flavour inspired from Paan, I took the liberty of naming it so. It should be noted that you have to put very little amount of Afzal BPM in this mix, as it's a very strong flavour, and will completely overpower the peach if you put too much!

I am smoking it right now and it started with a strong peach taste, but now, after about 20 minutes, both flavours are coming on with a nice balance, and it has pretty much the taste I was going for! Quite good!

• 5 months later...
[b]Orange Mint - Mixture[/b]

[b]Tobaccos: [/b]Al Waha Orange + Al Ajamy Citrus Mint

[b]Balance: [/b]66% AA Citrus Mint, 33% AW Orange
[b]Taste: [/b]Fantastic Taste. Even though AW's Orange is not the best out there it tastes great in combination with AA Citrus Mint, which is by the way my favorite tobacco ever. You only notice the orange a little together with the mint, so its more of a Mint flavor with a smack of orange. Might work better with higher quality orange though, but i've only got orange right now. 9/10
[b]Smoke: [/b]Great big clouds, comes mainly from the AA though, as my personal experience with AW was that it produced kind of boring smoke. But the AA gives you the best smoke you can have if you ask me. 10/10
[b]Buzz:[/b] Medium-ish. Thats the only downside of that mixture i think. While smoking, you feel great, but afterwards i felt a little dizzy. But only for half an hour. Might be only me though (i dont get this with AA or any other tobaccos). 6/10
[b]Conclusion: [/b]The buzz is great, but it doesn't last for long after you stop. The smoke and taste make up for it. You should definatly buy it! 9/10

If you take more than 50% AW Orange, you get kind of bad clouds, but it might taste better for some people. Taking more than 75% AA Citrus Mint will result in the orange being hardly notice at all.

[quote name='drozdoff' timestamp='1300908250' post='502632']
[quote name='Jesse' timestamp='1300747074' post='502317']
70% Nakhla Double Apple
[/quote]

mmm where lost another 15%?
[/quote]

15% air (cheap flavour but no clouds)

Desperate mixture

Tobacco: All AF, energy drink, strawberry, watermelon, mint, 2 apples, berry

Balance: If my maths are not wrong it is 32.5% Energy drink - 16% strawberry - 8.5% 2 Apples - 28.5% berry - 4% Mint - 10.5% watermelon (rounded some decimals here).

This is the thing. I had 4 bowls remaining of AF energy drink which i did not like much, 2 bowls of strawberry which I like but i am burned of it and since I did not want to smoke them I mixed them together and tossed my last bowl remaining of double apple. The mixture was OK and at least did what it was intended to, using the energy drink and the strawberry. I smoked 3 bowls of that mix.

Now my dealer is late to send me new shisha so I had remaining 2 bowls of berries and 1 bowl from a previous mixture of 75-25 watermelon and mint so I joined it with the remaining 4 bowls of the previous mixture.

The flavour is ok, quite fruity if you ask with a very nice smell, it actually smells much better than it tastes so it leaves a nice "flavour" in your nose after you smoke it. Clouds are excellent.

• 5 weeks later...
You gotta try this....

60% al fakher Orange
40% al fakher Mint
Xhale Citrus Mint Steam Stones.
Coco-Nara Coals
Ice Water in base

You mix the two Tobaccos together, and put it in a Vortex bowl, then at the top you put the Steam Stones.
This serves two purposes.
1. It gives off a really good Citrus/Orange/Lemon Flavour
2. The Steam Stones prevent the tobacco from burning, they keep the foil and heat away from the tobacco.

You can smoke for 2 hours easy with no harsh burning. I tried it with 3 sets of 2 coals at a time.

Nice clouds, and nice taste.

Give it a try.