Opening a hookah lounge in NOVA

Hello everybody,

It's been a while since I've posted here and so far everything is looking great.  I am planning to open a hookah lounge with a friend of mine in the northern VA area and wanted some input from you guys.  We are looking at space from 1500 to 2000 sq ft, not serving food only drinks, wifi, video games, modern atmosphere and music.  I've noticed majority of hookah lounges in the area have crappy service, average-below average hookah and uncomfortable seating.  We will be focusing on providing excellent service and great hookah flavors/taste.  

My question for you guys, what would u like to see at a hookah lounge? 

To people who have owned or still own a hookah lounge, what were your steps to open a lounge?

Thanks,

Aaron

• Upvote 1

Top notch quality is the number one priority for me. I don't do lounges anymore (or go there really rarely at least) just cause my pipe at home is 99% of the time gonna be better. Then there's quality of service which obviously is important, but after I've been handed a good pipe to smoke I can wait on other stuff for ages and probably not notice. Also, I'd say offer just a jug of water and glasses for all participants at a table just cause hookah gets my mouth dry sometimes.

As for other stuff, music levels are important, normally I wanna talk when I smoke, so make sure that people don't have to yell to hear each other. If you offer video games, multiplayer is the way to go, but then allow some sort of setup so that folks can game and smoke free handed. I think Aeon uses a mic stand to hold his pipe when gaming. Oh, and personally I avoid places with dubstep and similar music :P

So..some do's and donts

do's

big varity of brands and flavors

comfy seating with leg room

actully clean your pipes with brushes and shit

replace hoses regulaly

try to keep inventory and also sell retail.

CHECK IDS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

donts

dont serve alcohol it will be the worst choice ull ever make

dont play loud ass music

dont have cover charges

dont let people just walk in and join their friends and let people mooch on a pipe and have like 10 people to 1, even if they are just "talking" waste of space and taking up room for money

dont promise something and not have it

dont piss off your competition, be friends with them. It is worth it trust me

I do not recommend opening a lounge, i have two its a shit ton of work, we are currently shutting one down. if ur going in solo it can be profit but with a partner nope. plus there will be arguing and complaining and Laziness lol. and things not getting done and it just goes around and everyone will do it. if its just you u cant be lazy and rely on others. if u got more questions hit me up or mush.

Thanks guys, I agree in not playing loud music, no cover charges, focus on service.  Great ideas.  I'm learning that a lot of shopping centers in my area won't allow hookah lounges =(

Hey Aaron, best of luck!

Here's what I want:

1. REAL COALS

2. These kind of tips: 

3. Beer if possible

4. Nakhla or maybe DM or something else good and interesting, no AF/Starbuzz/whatever

What I usually look for in a decent lounge (which I have yet to find here in TN):

-Coconut coals.

-Tobacco other than Starbuzz or Al Fakher (Nakhla, Tangiers, etc. is ideal... but you may have issues keeping Tangiers in stock, so it'd be wise to have other premium brands as well, or instead of stocking Tangiers at all).

-Hookahs other than crappy Chinese-made ones (KMs or Myas would be ideal... I would add Syrians to that, but they're harder to find these days).

-Nice wide-bore hoses, whether its disposable Fancy/Nuhose style, or Nammor style.

-A laid-back atmosphere, a few TVs going with the sound not too loud, maybe some music on low. Offer board games and maybe even a PS4 or Xbox One as additional entertainment. Offer to play big games (or even smaller ones) when they're happening (World Series, Superbowl, FIFA, etc...), and advertise it via social media and flyers. Should make for some busy nights for you. :)

Thanks Chris's!!! sorry I havent been on as much.  

I want to add a stripper pole but my partner didnt like that idea haha.  Amateur night!!

Oh yeah, for the Old World crowd: Backgammon boards!! If you have backgammon and real tea (or beer...) I'll show up. Where are you thinking, btw?

Yeah we will have tea and board games.  We are looking at Chantilly, Fairfax, Centreville, Gainsville area.

Well dividing time between DC and McLean, I'd vote Fairfax for proximity....but whatever works best!

PS if you need any advisory services on Middle Eastern authenticity, let me know!

• 3 weeks later...

Hey Aaron, best of luck!

Here's what I want:

1. REAL COALS

2. These kind of tips: 

3. Beer if possible

4. Nakhla or maybe DM or something else good and interesting, no AF/Starbuzz/whatever

​This and a stripper pole sounds good to me.

Let me know when and where you open up and I'll come by.

As far as tobacco, I honestly don't care how much AF and SB you offer as long as you have some good choices too.

I hope you can get this going. there's tons of competition around NoVA but very few quality places.