Problems with Shiazo

Greetings,

I have a serious issue with the Shiazo Steam Stones that I bought; I've used them in the Mya petite with this electric sisha bowl  (power settings 4-5).

For the first minute of smoking the Two Apples flavor, the amount of vapor produced was great and tasted good. However, after two minutes, when inhaling I could feel a very spicy taste in my mouth. After the third minute I had to stop because inhaling the vapor would make me cough very badly for about a minute.

I then tried the Cherry flavor in my electric sisha bowl with different power settings (1-3) and got the same results, a very bad cough when inhaling in the first few minutes.

I've already used the electronic sisha head with the glycerine e-liquids from Sisha palace with great success and zero issues.  As far as I understand, Shiazo carries glycerin, the same stuff that's inside Sisha Palace e-liquids, could it be that my Shiazo is in bad state?

Thank you in advance for your reply

I personally have never used one of those things but its pretty clear you are burning the shisha. Cut back on the heat and you should be golden.  TBH you're probably better off just getting some good coconut coals,  but thats just my. 02

This is true, coals will have a fluctuation in temperature depending on you taking a pull from the pipe or not, idly they will be cooler and then heat up when you take a drag. So just a set temperature will not work as well with any tobacco or alternative.

I've found more information regarding my sisha bowl here:

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/1pc-electronic-shisha-bowl-with-out-wood-charcoal-hookah-mouth-tips-hose-ice-cleaner-pipe-rolling/2031496510.html

They state to put an aluminium foil between the bowl and the sisha/shiazo, which is something I didn't do, I'm pretty sure that was the problem, at the time I couldn't read the instructions properly as they did only come in German.

I have no information regarding how hot this can this e-coal get, now I'm afraid I might have been turning the glycerin injected into Shiazo into poisonous acrolein :S

Update: I've put a foil in the bowl, got the same results, smoking with coconut worked just fine, but I'm leaning towards e-liquids now as they taste just as good and there's no CO involved.

Coals are generally better than any electric coals at the moment. If you're really into no CO then vaping might be more up your alley though. To me it depends on the situation, hookah is just so much more relaxing and the little ritual of prepping and all that, I find it soothing.

i got these when they came out samples were amazing, i ended up buying some more down the road, but your electric bowl makes it fail. i've put 3 even 4 coco nut coals on my tangiers small with those stones and no problem at all. Electricity is scary.

• 2 weeks later...

There you go, the confirmation that it is actualy dangerous to use this bowl to heat shiazo. The instructions were badly translated and mostly unclear, they lead me to believe that you could actualy put shiazo stones directly on the bowl, while the surface is over 290 C which is the point when VG starts to turn into acrolein I believe.

Could it be the reason why shiazo tasted so badly? I've seen that only pure VG evaporates at higher temps than 290C so maybe the apple/cherry liquid inside that is mixed with VG in the stones saved me from toxic exposure...

Would not recomment this bowl for anyone vaping shiazo, this stuff is dangerous! it can reach 311 Degrees C even at lower settings.

I plan to buy a normal e-coal, not a bowl.

Any recommendations?

I really think if you're set on going electric go for vaping. There is no way to smoke hookah with an electric device currently on the market that  I know of.

​Closest is one of those vaping devices that you attach to your hookah, but it's sort of pointless, IMO. You might as well use a vaping device.