Welding A Stem?

Hey everyone!

It's been a SUPER long time. For those who don't know/remember me: I have been a member here for quite a time. But, due to some things happening in life it has been about a year since I have been around. Well, I busted out my favorite hookah to smoke the other day since I no longer have room mates with a baby running around to knock it over. It's a syrian very much like the glyph from H-S but, shorter (without the top pear). I lit it up and got nothing but smoke immediatly. So, I took another hit and realized the water wasn't bubbling. So, I pulled the stem out and there was a long, thin, verticle crack causing an air leak. I have searched some, but my search skillz suck. So, I was wondering if anyone had any advice on the ability of having this welded. I was namely wondering if there were any techiniques to stay away from due to health concerns. I don't HAVE to have this one fixed since I still have my KM Ice Bucket that works well. But, this syrian is my favorite. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

i have, no idea.. but I'd avoid anything with lead. So if you go with solder (brazing) go with the lead-free shit. lol I feel like brazing would be your best bet as actually welding would probably be too hot, causing more issues with the stem.

Idk though.

Yep, brazing is the way to go. That's how the pipes are made. What the pipe is made of would determine what type/material/composition of brazing rod you would use, but it's most likely going to be a silver or bronze based rod (usually silver is the most common). If there is any coating or anything on the pipe, it will need to be buffed around the area to be brazed before brazing. I have a couple pipes I'm completely replacing the hose ports on (haven't done it yet, been too busy with other stuff) and they will both be brazed with silver rod

Brazing is pretty much soldering on a higher level so if they can weld they can probably braze too. Also just ask them man, even if they aren't too confident at this point it's hard to make it worse :D

Soft solder! Just throw some flux on that bad boy and add the filler, you can use a torch to sorta melt it on there, or use a soldering gun. Real easy and simple. And make sure its lead free, if its gunna be touching the water they have some that are more water resistance, think its zinc-aluminum soft solder,

From experience pipe liners are always too rough haha their used to low carbon steel, which is tough as shit, if u want ot nice and pretty take it to a tig welder, their gentle and got magiv hands

super glue was originally for wound closure on the battle field. It's safe. But ya, jb weld will likely work too.

wtf really?? Thats crazy, ima look that up! (The superglue part)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Sodder. I had to do that with my purge valve after it broke off. Metal is always better than synthetic materials for longevity and ability to adhere permanently. I trust JB weld sometimes with temp steel sealing but for my pipe it's metal or retirement. Silver sodder.