I'm Getting Little To No Flavor From My Hookah, Poor Heat Management.

Hi, I'm new to the forums so please excuse me if I'm posting questions in the wrong area.

I've getting great smoke but little flavor, and I think I am burning the shisha much too quick. I own a Mya Petite. I smoked out of some pumpkin hookahs for a while and never really had an issue with heat management until recently, even before I switched to the Mya Petite. I've tried both Al fakher coals and Starbuzz coals, the smaller sized ones. I use Reynolds HD foil, and have tried multiple hoses. I believe I am packing the bowl well enough, I pack it to just under the brim so that the shisha won't touch the aluminum foil and I fluff it so air can circulate. I've even tried tinkering with the water level as I hear that can be tricky with a Mya Petite.

I've included a photo album here to show the exact setup I usually have.

http://imgur.com/a/uB7eY

Any suggestions and help is very much appreciated. Thank you.

Let it touch, pack a bit more in there, see how that works for you. I rarely go under the edge, lowest I'll go is probably level and that's with some finicky tobbacos that don't like heat. And tighten your foil more, don't want any of that heavy wrinkling I saw in your pics! If the heat is too much try one coal for a bit, then another, use the windcover and one coal maybe, trial and error and you'll get it!

Let it touch, pack a bit more in there, see how that works for you. I rarely go under the edge, lowest I'll go is probably level and that's with some finicky tobbacos that don't like heat. And tighten your foil more, don't want any of that heavy wrinkling I saw in your pics! If the heat is too much try one coal for a bit, then another, use the windcover and one coal maybe, trial and error and you'll get it!

Thank you for the advice, I definitely do get sloppy with the tightness of the foil at times.

I think its also worth mentioning I only use one coal at a time as two seems to burn it far too quickly.

Also I've been smoking Al fakher Fresh lately, and it hasn't been giving much flavor at all. Meanwhile Mint still gives me that cool mint taste, but not too strong.

You could also try splitting your coals in half and using either 2 or 3 halves.

This, if 2 pieces is too much try splitting them and having smaller pieces, getting even heat coverage on the bowl is important!

definitely need more tobacco in there. The less tobacco you have, the less material there is to heat up meaning it will heat faster and lose flavor quickly. The goal, really, is to have as much tobacco and flavoring as possible without it causing air flow issues. With most tobacco (like what you're using in the photo) I like to pack it similar to how you did but higher, like go maybe a mm above the rim of the bowl, then let the foil press it down below the rim. This lets it still have airflow and the foil presses all of the tobacco down simultaneously giving a more consistent pack within the bowl.

Give this a try and report back. I think you'll notice a big difference in flavor and how long the bowl lasts

Well it might seem like an odd question but how old is your shisha and is it kinda dry? You totally need to pack more but if you are getting good smoke and no flavor it might be the type of coals being too hot. I have never used those so I dunno.

The reason I brought up the age of the shisha is cause I had that happen towards the end of a 250 tub. It had no flavor at all but got great smoke, packed as normal.... I just reflavored it and it worked great.

• 3 weeks later...