New To The Hookah Who Needs An Advice

Hello, 

I want to start with the fact that at this moment I am really obsessed with smoking hookahs. I am planning to buy one but have no idea what exactly to buy. There are so many kinds of hookahs ? Can you give me advice what to buy and what brands of tobacco are the best. I am thinking to buy one hookah with two attachments for smoking, so when my friends came not to wait 10-20 minutes just to use it for 1-2 minutes and need to pass to the next person? If I choose this type of hookah will I need a bigger one than the normal hookahs with only one attachment ? 

I also know that it is really dangerous for your health if you smoke on regular basis ? For example how many times per month you need to smoke, so not to damage so much your body. Thanks in advance for the help. I would really be grateful if someone educate me in this black topic for me. 

Greetings,

D. Stoimenov

I smoke daily, it's no worse than regular smoking, in personal experience it's less bad. As for what to buy, you're in Germany, you can easily get Khalil Mammoon pipes that are high quality products for example, depends a bit on what you're looking for in terms of design and style... Also are you looking to smoke herbal tobacco replacement stuff or legit tobacco?
As for coals just find some natural coals, you can get Tom Cococha in Germany for cheap and those are really good if you have a way to light them.

Generally I would avoid getting a multiple hose pipe by the way, just have your friends throw in some money and get 2 pipes if there is a lot of you smoking!

Bawhee, thank you very much for the detailed information. I checked for "Khalil Mammoon" but I found only 76 and 98 cm tall and to be honest they are too expensive. The smaller one is 70 euro and the taller one is 80 Euro. Is there so huge difference between the hookahs that cost 30-40 and those which cost around 80. Almost to forgot is the size important? What is the difference between 98 tall hookah and another which is 34 cm, There should be some difference but is it so eye catching. And about the tobacco probably I would prefer legit tobacco. 

Well, for tobacco you got the classics readily available, Nakhla, Nakhla - Mizo, AlFakher are what I smoke 99% of the time, and in Germany you can get Ultimate which is pretty good, and I think Rosanna, Starbuzz, anything you want really, my German is awful but check your online stores and you'll see what you can get!

As for hookah size, honestly it doesn't make much of a difference how tall it is. If you want a cheaper pipe that is high quality you should probably look at MYA, but I have limited experience with brands that are easy to get in Germany, so I don't know where you should look. First check any German online stores you can find though, from the talks I had with some fellow smokers I met in Kőln this year I think you should be able to find just about anything you can imagine :P

• 2 weeks later...
Welcome to the hookah world! I first started out with a cheap hookah that was small and cost about $30. Two months later the hose and stem were all rusted out and absolutely terrible. It wasn't until I bought a KM(previously mentioned) hookah that I appreciated smoking often and maintaining it. I spent $100 on mine and I am glad I did. You want quality when you are inviting friends over to enjoy with you. Starbuzz, MYA, or KM lare all worth it. Stay away from cheapies!

As for smoking often, there is no real research on the health affects. Can't be good but I used to smoke cigars weekly so hookah seems to have no immediate effects on my body.

Lastly, my favorite tobacco is Fumari. I don't know if it is attainable in Germany though. Starbuzz was the choice when in college but when I bought the new quality hookah, I realized there are better choices. Tangier's is also a popular tobacco but takes some getting used to. Maybe one of the older brands is Al-Fahker.

Finally, go spend the $100 on a quality hookah, it will last with proper care. You will have to just experiment with different tobaccos to find your favorite. And use only natural coconut coals, not quick lighting coals(unhealthy).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...

Well Build, reasonably priced modern hookah would be a Mya Saray. The have a modern look and screw tgether parts. They make some very inexpensive Econo line pipes that will allow you to buy a decent hookah at a good basic price to decide if hookah is for you. From there they make bigger and better pipes. I own 10 or so of them and used to use the QT version in my hookah lounge and they are only 13" tall. smoke like champs. Check out their vendor threads and they do have world wide offices and shipping.

Something of a decent size would be recommended in my opinion. A couple studies have shown decreased CO intake from larger pipes vs smaller pipes. In my own studies it has shown the same. So if you are concerned with the health risks hookah causes, a good sized pipe and quality charcoal is a good start. I recommend Japanese charcoal such as Golden Canary and Fumari. Coconut coals will get the job done as well, I recommend cracking them in half for even heat distribution.

KM, MYA, MZ, Elmas are all solid brands.