Just To Clarify A Few Things.

Ive always had trouble with the getting tangiers to work properly. So far, the only flavors ive gotten to work are ILTOBC and cane mint. Everything else was just iffy and I've probably tried at least 10-15 other flavors across multiple lines. Ive also tried it with new hoses and on my 5 different hookahs. Ive smoked both inside and outside, with a/c on and a/c off, day and night, and on humid days and less humid days. I've tried a bunch of packing methods with the hj alien v1 and v2, the hj sauce bowl, tangiers phunnel small (a few different ones), and a glass crown micro phunnel. I could never seem to get it to work no matter how many different methods I've tried or tutorials I've watched. Ive stopped trying and instead blame FL and its horrible weather.

I've been out for awhile, havent had a chance to use the ol' hookah in awhile.

I am placing an order since I plan to have a few sessions this weekend.

Right now, there are 5 different lines of tangiers available it seems (besides CANE MINT #B at ultimate hookah).

What are the differences between F-line, lucid, Birquq, Burley, and Noir? Which would best suit my acclimation problem needs?

Are tangiers bowls still the preferred bowl for tangiers? Is the small still the go to, or has one of the other sizes become preferred?

Are golden canaries and fumari's still some of the better suited coals for tangiers?

Thank you for the help.

• Upvote 1

Bro, hit me up some time.  I'm in Coconut Creek and work on Yamato and Congress.  I'll show you the ways of Tangiers.

I've learned that coal, coal placement, and packing is everything.  I never acclimate Tangiers, regardless of type, and it comes out consistently.

Best results have been with a Mini Phunnel but Alien works aight.

I haven't used those (I use some generic japs) but Japs in general are way easier to use than cocos.

• Upvote 1

I feel like it's all about coals and heat. I've ordered a recent batch of birquq and was super happy with it as it was warming up but once full heat took effect all the flavor disappeared. I knew instantly that it was a heat thing and totally made it almost unenjoyable. very frustrating. No place around me has decent japanese coals, so what other kinds of coal can you use that are lower heat?

also, been a while since i've posted here.

I've tried golden canaries, fumaris, and coconara's. I've used between 1-3 coals on multiple sessions, sometimes letting it cook for 5 mins before smoking, sometimes going right into it. Ive also tried cutting coles in half and stonehenging too. I've even tried twoapple's ol minimal hole method with either just one hole or 5 holes in the middle. Its surprising how many ways there are set up a hookah.

I've found fumaris are the only one sorta common since they're a big brand. Or I would say coco's in half. Ive heard hookahjohns coals are good too, but I would doubt you'd find that locally.

get in touch with TheHelios. He knows his stuff and is a solid dude.

Like they'd said, tangiers is definitely about the heat management. It's not just about cutting coco's in half or stonhenging them or using the correct coals at all. It's about where you put them on the bowl, the consistency of the bowl pack itself (causing hotter area's, air pockets, etc). This stuff is 100% about heat management. Most tutorials don't cover the heat management enough they focus too much on how the bowl is packed.

anyways, get in touch with helios, he'll get you goin' good :D

Like they'd said, tangiers is definitely about the heat management. It's not just about cutting coco's in half or stonhenging them or using the correct coals at all. It's about where you put them on the bowl, the consistency of the bowl pack itself (causing hotter area's, air pockets, etc). This stuff is 100% about heat management. Most tutorials don't cover the heat management enough they focus too much on how the bowl is packed.

qft. I'm saying this from tons and tons of thrown out tangiers. I blame houston's humidity for not being able to use the standard line tangiers correctly. I didn't have problems at all with lucid, and it even worked fine with cocos. but birquq seems like it will work in my humidity, but is more heat sensitive than lucid.

I just bought several boxes of some golden charcoal because i remember those things not lasting super long and did some searching around for tutorials on them, but no one does tang heat management tutorials videos that I could find. If they're out there or if someone wants to do a video and help me out, please let me know/link in this thread!

qft. I'm saying this from tons and tons of thrown out tangiers. I blame houston's humidity for not being able to use the standard line tangiers correctly. I didn't have problems at all with lucid, and it even worked fine with cocos. but birquq seems like it will work in my humidity, but is more heat sensitive than lucid.

I just bought several boxes of some golden charcoal because i remember those things not lasting super long and did some searching around for tutorials on them, but no one does tang heat management tutorials videos that I could find. If they're out there or if someone wants to do a video and help me out, please let me know/link in this thread!

Being from Houston, I know your pain.  For some magical reason, I can get Tangiers to work in South Florida (around the same humidity as Htown) but not back in Texas.  It's not as amazing as some others' setups but it's for sure doable.  I still get better results with Nak.

Being from Houston, I know your pain.  For some magical reason, I can get Tangiers to work in South Florida (around the same humidity as Htown) but not back in Texas.  It's not as amazing as some others' setups but it's for sure doable.  I still get better results with Nak.

Houston is ridiculous with the humidity and massive temp and humidity swings. It's like somewhere inbetween tropics and rainforest and it is not at all conducive to tangiers noir. I did have a couple of decent sessions a while ago with Kashmir Peach (apparently a rather "robust" flavor construction wise when I spoke with Eric and also a decent experience with Lemon-Lime or something like that back when it came out (this must have been at least about 4 or 6 years ago or so).

I've tried super dense packs, medium dense, fluffy, tangiers phunnels, non-tang phunnels, standard egyptians, lebanese bowls, every hookah setup under the sun to no avail. I get a nasty tickle and no flavor and typically the scent of barbequed soy sauce. Birquq smells absolutely phenomenal and the flavor is good up to a point and then the heat kills all of the flavor and the heat coming off cocos is either whispy smoke or steam train but without flavor, doesn't matter if I do halves, quarters, or whatever else.

I got some golden canary's (as previously stated) so if anyone has a tutorial or a way to use them that's down pat, please let me know. I mean it can't be too complicated; it's charcoal - light, get silver coating off, start with two on the outside, if you need more heat, move closer in more still then move back to the perimeter and add another coal. I think I way overthink things sometimes...most times.

So al ittle tip i've got for east coasters, yes coals are the HUGEST problem with your humidity issue. so what i've been told is that the lotus makes a world of differenc, also using lower heat coals like silver tabs like inhale of golden canaries. and tangiers bowls are still great so use them if you have it. but  my recomendation is that u keep playing around till u find it right or try a lotus and speak with thehelios he is a cool guy and can help you out.

Ill give the lotus a look prob soon. I just ordered noir,burley, and birquq cane mint so ill run a bit of a comparison when it arrives. I usually do the same with 2 goldens on constant rotate and ive gotten some good results from mint. But i want to see if i can get closer to a 100% success rather than 75%. Im also curious to see the differences between mint, cane mint, and spearmint. Florida gets alot of ups and down too with rain like every other day.

Youve def helped me with my packing methods and taught me about the golden canaries which provided me with my best sesh so far (9-10 hours on the same bowl of cane mint). Just need to work on the other flavors a bit and rind the best tangiers line for me.

Just so you are aware, the lotus seems to take a bit of heat away from the coals, and unless you plan on using 6-8 canaries in the lotus, it's just not going to be warm enough (imo, anyways). What I DO recommend is drilling out a ton of holes in the bottom plate of the lotus (I used a 3/32 drill bit, and it's perfect). This gives it more airflow (less CO, stops it from getting TOO hot a bit easier), and it's made a great product even better. 

Just so you are aware, the lotus seems to take a bit of heat away from the coals, and unless you plan on using 6-8 canaries in the lotus, it's just not going to be warm enough (imo, anyways). What I DO recommend is drilling out a ton of holes in the bottom plate of the lotus (I used a 3/32 drill bit, and it's perfect). This gives it more airflow (less CO, stops it from getting TOO hot a bit easier), and it's made a great product even better. 

could you upload some pics? wondering what kind of pattern you went with