Life Insurance?

Anyone claiming non smoking for life insurance? Is there a cut off on how often? And if they do a nicotine blood test, how many days should you not smoke for before doing the test?

I claim not smoking for my life insurance, I smoke hookah at the most 2-3 times a month though. I do remember reading that nicotine doesn't completely leave your system until a minimum of 48 hours. Now I'm not sure if that's true because I've never had a nicotine test performed on my blood sample but it seems logical to me I guess?

I actually have been talking with an agent about getting life insurance this past week, what a coincidence. From my understanding it takes a MAXIMUM of 72 hours for nicotine to leave your blood stream. I will be claiming non smoking when I sign up with whatever program I end up going with. New York Life Insurance says they have a 10 day window when the nurse will come to your house and draw blood. 

• Upvote 1

Yeah, I'd just claim not smoking as well and just not smoke hookah nor vape for a few weeks prior. Wouldn't kill me going that long without doing either, honestly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I say I'm a smoker on the totally irrelevant statistics gathering poll that I fill in when I go for a yearly checkup. Since insurance is free for everyone and all that.

well erica aka my wife works for a life insurance company and yah just dont smoke for like 2-3 days before thts what we did. also we have ahd it for 2 years and never got tested after that one time so. yah but principle finical is good life insurance.

• 2 weeks later...

This shit is stupid. Just claim non-smoker. At least your not detoxing from something else that takes THAT MUCH LONGER even after you've stopped. Nicotine seems rather quick and I bet flushing with water and exercise will make it leave your system that much faster.

It really isn't stupid though, there are some insurance companies that will completely deny you if you claim non smoker and then fail the nicotine test so you are forced to go to someone else.

Also if you claim non smoker, and you die, they do a detailed analysis on your system, if they find normal/typical levels of nicotine for a smoker in you ... guess what, no pay out.

I've read countless complaints online that claim the same thing happened to someone they knew.

It really isn't stupid though, there are some insurance companies that will completely deny you if you claim non smoker and then fail the nicotine test so you are forced to go to someone else.

Also if you claim non smoker, and you die, they do a detailed analysis on your system, if they find normal/typical levels of nicotine for a smoker in you ... guess what, no pay out.

I've read countless complaints online that claim the same thing happened to someone they knew.

I think you misunderstood what I was talking about when I said it's stupid. I mean the testing for nicotine. I personally don't agree with it but I do understand that insurance companies want perfectly healthy human beings. Alcohol poses more of a health risk than tobacco through heavy use but since we are a nation devoted to that substance theres not a care about it from said companies.

But I don't understand. The nicotine is the addictive and psychoactive chemical, not necessarily the most harmful. The long-term health effects come from the build-up of tar and other carcinogens associated with tobacco smoke. I mean we all know that. The nicotine is just what gives you the buzz and triggers different reactions in your brain and body. They might as well do caffeine tests too, considering caffeine increases heart rate and blood pressure. This sounds like descrimination to me.

But I don't understand. The nicotine is the addictive and psychoactive chemical, not necessarily the most harmful. The long-term health effects come from the build-up of tar and other carcinogens associated with tobacco smoke. I mean we all know that. The nicotine is just what gives you the buzz and triggers different reactions in your brain and body. They might as well do caffeine tests too, considering caffeine increases heart rate and blood pressure. This sounds like descrimination to me.

That is exactly what it is, and that is exactly what I told the rep and she said ... that's just the way it is.

Like I said previously about nicotine gum, it's considered safe but if you use nicotine gum you would fail the blood test and your rates would go up.

so if you claim non-smoker and toxicology report comes after after death saying that detect any nicotine you would more claim would likely be denied? Do they always test for any causes of death.. i.e car accident,heart attack etc

so if you claim non-smoker and toxicology report comes after after death saying that detect any nicotine you would more claim would likely be denied? Do they always test for any causes of death.. i.e car accident,heart attack etc

That's what I was wondering. Will they always check for nicotine if the cause of death isn't anything like lung cancer or heart disease?

That's what I was wondering. Will they always check for nicotine if the cause of death isn't anything like lung cancer or heart disease?

Of course, wouldn't any death include a tox report?

Tox report...why would that include nicotine? 

Tox report...why would that include nicotine? 

Dunno, just figure that would pull up anything that's not natural in the body. /shrug but I don't know much about that stuff.

Just talk to your rep, IMHO it is best to be honest and go from there.

It varies between different insurance agencies and what not.

Also it depends on how much you smoke. If you only smoke here and there, there really won't be much nicotine in your system to begin with.

Also it depends on how much you smoke. If you only smoke here and there, there really won't be much nicotine in your system to begin with.

Let's just say I smoke for 2-3 hours and then I go and walk outside and get murdered...or fall down my steps and die. My nicotine levels will be high. The only way for them to discern whether I'm an occasional smoker vs chronic would either have to be a hair analysis (probably too costly for them to do but who knows) or looking at my lungs. And who knows, the lungs may be mucked up shortly after smoking too... 

• 2 weeks later...

Let's just say I smoke for 2-3 hours and then I go and walk outside and get murdered...or fall down my steps and die. My nicotine levels will be high. The only way for them to discern whether I'm an occasional smoker vs chronic would either have to be a hair analysis (probably too costly for them to do but who knows) or looking at my lungs. And who knows, the lungs may be mucked up shortly after smoking too... 

Wouldn't they do the hair analysis no mater what?  Even for a cheap-o $10k policy, the analysis will cost way less than paying out $10k.