Out Of Work

KnightHawk63

Well as I was getting ready to go to work this morning (I work in the kitchen of a restaurant), I got a call from the main cook who told me to meet him over at the unemployment office in town. At 3:30 this morning a patrol car spotted the flames and by 4 it was mostly under control by the local FD. I don't work in the one that got burned out but I do work in the adjacent restaurant (The Flame, ironic huh?) which has heavy smoke damage and will have to be gutted and redone on the inside. So I'm out of a job 1-2 months now. Sucks. Been working there for over a year and I really enjoy it but you can't help what happens. The cook and I went inside for literally one minute to check to see if the freezers and walk-in cooler was still running in the kitchen, which it was. Soot all over the place covering everything, the stench was intoxicating. It's going to take a while before things are back to normal. The Dairy Bar will be back in business in about 6 months or so, I took a few pictures but here's one from the news. The picture from the outside doesn't give it justice, it's completely wrecked on the inside. We're thinking electrical since it started in the office where all the computers are.

81868-Photo_Jul_15_7_07_41_AM-728x483.jp

Damn man, sorry that happened!

Hopefully the unemployment will be enough income to get you through until you can go back to work. I'm not sure how unemployment actually works or how much they allow you, but that's what its there for. 

Thanks guys, yeah it sucks balls, that's really the only way to describe it. But I mean what can you do really? The owner is ready to get things rolling again with cleaning up and reparations but we are waiting for the Fire Marshall and the SBI (State Bureau of Investigations) to finish their investigation of what caused the fire. Once they are done and give the all clear then it will be on the road to recovery. I have too much free time now, I think about not doing anything everyday and just kinda get gloomy. My first time not working everyday for 7 years so it's quite a difference, but hey, at least I can sleep in later right? Haha.

That is rough man, sorry you gotta deal with that.

As for having nothing to do all day ... we are going to be moving our website to a wordpress platform in the next week or so and I don't want to work further on my site because the more I do now, the more shit I have to redirect during the move. So I hear ya on feeling gloomy from doing nothing all day.

I work mon-fri and I usually have nothing to do when I'm here (hence why I'm always on Steam). It's really depressing, but I'm getting paid so it's tough to complain too much. My advice, if you're not going to be working, keep yourself busy with something else. Find something you can do that is work, but feels like a hobby. For example: learn how to do something. Maybe learn how to shave with a straight razor, or learn to do woodworking, hell, learn to build a wooden canoe! Haha, just find something that won't cost you an arm and a leg and could possibly even make you some money on the side. 

I hear that John, at least I'm not the only one sitting on my hands :\ haha but maybe I can whittle a couple of canoes together and sell them for $100 a pop! Hahaha, first I need to get my lumberjack on and chop down some fine looking trees out the wilderness, strap them to the roof of my Mustang and take off. Avoiding all cops along the way ;)

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Figure I would update that I have a job interview tomorrow at 1:30 for a company called Static Control! Things might be looking up from here.

Already got em in my back pocket ;) I get to be the person to see how much static I carry out of the dryer. Hahah just kidding but I got the job! Interview went very well. Get to work on a machine that makes adhesive back pieces for printers.

Edited by KnightHawk63